Wind Studies

TexasTightwad

Sergeant of the Hide
May 30, 2018
DFW, Texas
I found the kite flying one decently infomative, bit the meteorological lecture one not so much. But then again, it dealt with mountains mostly, and there are none near me, so someone in a mountainous region might get more out of it.

Skookum

Flattus Domini
May 6, 2017
Your mom's
I found the kite flying one decently infomative, bit the meteorological lecture one not so much. But then again, it dealt with mountains mostly, and there are none near me, so someone in a mountainous region might get more out of it.
Yeah, they weren't obviously written for shooters, but there is good info to glean from the illustrations especially. If you know of any other good ones, post them up. I'll steal from anywhere I can.:)

Dec 26, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
That kite one was great, haven't read #2 yet. I like the examples he gives and the pictures. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say "Wind is like water" and they leave it at that. Best bits were wind shadows and compressed air around hills.

TexasTightwad

Sergeant of the Hide
May 30, 2018
DFW, Texas
Yeah, the wind shadows were what I found most informative. Not much you can do to get away from shooting through one, but at least you will realize it is there.

Hey, I got thinking about this thread today and was wondering if there are any rules of thumb to help predict wind speed at max ordinance? given we know the speed 5 ft from the ground and type of vegetation. To keep it simple I guess we ignore terrain and assume its flat.

My guess is that prairies will be 30-40% faster at max ord that 5 ft above ground and that wooded areas would be much more. But I really dont know.

Skookum

Flattus Domini
May 6, 2017
Your mom's
Hey, I got thinking about this thread today and was wondering if there are any rules of thumb to help predict wind speed at max ordinance? given we know the speed 5 ft from the ground and type of vegetation. To keep it simple I guess we ignore terrain and assume its flat.

My guess is that prairies will be 30-40% faster at max ord that 5 ft above ground and that wooded areas would be much more. But I really dont know.
It depends on terrain of course, but if the vegetation is no more than a couple of feet high and the ground is fairly level, then I tend to think of the next wind gradient starting between 15-20 feet above ground level in relatively average conditions.

The other thing is this, the faster the wind is blowing the more these layers compress. The boundary layer next to the ground might be 25 ft high at 0-3 mph, 15 ft high at 5-8 mph, and 5 ft high at 10+mph.

If I am shooting far enough to pass into the next highest wind gradient, I add 30% to the wind for the time the bullet will be in that gradient. That sounds technical, but when boiled down it just means that most of the time I need to add and additional 1 or 2 tenths to my wind call.

The only time it really comes into play is at ELR distances. The bullet might spend half it's flight time in the next higher gradient.

Last edited:
Top Bottom