Wind flag!

Jan 2, 2018
Check your local craigslist for used tripods. I got 5 of the older heavier models used for lights/reflectors for a whopping $25. The photags all want the newer lighter carbon fiber models as it's less weight they have to haul. I looked for 4 months before that deal came up.

IIRC the ARA rules say the flag cannot be taller than the bottom of the target, but the light stand tripods are perfect as they have about 5 feet of extension from their lowest 2.5' setting and most of the flags I've seen set up vary from 2-5 feet tall.

I'll take some pics later, mine came out pretty decent

Jan 2, 2018
Golf flags look cool and official. But colorful wind socks from the dollar store is what we use
Problem with golf flags is they attach to the pole with a fabric sleeve and that gives more friction to turning in the wind and they tend to wrap back on themselves. The other issue is they are too short to give a good wind velocity reading, which is really the data you are after.

Windsocks are great, but know they are not all the same. Airport grade windsocks give specific wind speeds depending on how erect they are. The dollar store socks work just fine, but a true windsock will also tell you accurate wind speeds.

I use 4-5 flags for 200 yards, depends how many I throw in the back of the car and how lazy I am at that point. First setup at 35-50 yards is a windclock (if I set it up any further downrange I cant read the numbers easily), then 2 wind flags about 35 yards apart, then a windsock, and finally at 190 yards one more flag. I also have the bench flag with my drop chart.

This is turning into a information thread, not a buy/selll thread, lol. Should probably be moved.

Jan 2, 2018
With the great 69+ MPH winds in colorado today,

close up of the mounting for the flags, mine are made of aluminum all around, but a lot of guys use wire hangers, plastic cardboard and nylon shafts at the attach point. Also see archery arrows cut up as donors for materials

Top Bottom