Why do people seem down on Savage rifles?

Sep 3, 2017
Christiansburg, VA
All i am saying is if that is the heavy bolt lift it is blown out of proportion.
Otherwise are we really that sensitive? I think i see the problem.
You could've stated that you don't mind the heavy bolt lift, and don't personally see it as a problem, without suggesting the poster who asked about it is a weakling who needs more protein in his diet.

As for the other, again with the personal insults. Here's a hint, it doesn't really back up your point the way you seem to think it does.

Jan 1, 2018
As for the other, again with the personal insults. Here's a hint, it doesn't really back up your point the way you seem to think it does.[/QUOTE]

Keep your hint...this forum is about guns not feelings.

Max

Descendant of John Adams
I'm hesitant to post in this dumpster-fire of a thread, but here goes...

If everything measures fine with go and no-go guages, your heavy bolt lift has nothing to do with head space, and there's no need to alter the current headspace. Heavy bolt lift in savages is mostly due to how they re-cock themselves when the bolt is opened. It can be improved, but the best way to go about that is to have a gunsmith re-profile the cocking ramp on the bolt and do something to reduce friction on the cocking sleeve. Some guys do this themselves, but not everyone is comfortable with home-brew bolt modifications.

There are also a few types of bolt lift kits available that can help lighten or at least smooth things up, but again you're still modifying/correcting the Savage design to make it feel closer to how other factory guns feel out of the box. And investing money into the rifle in the process, something that may be tolerable if you already own the rifle, but also something that should be considered before buying one.
^^^^ This

IIRC, there was a ".38Spec brass and ball bearing" fix.

I bought a disk with a ball bearing in it for mine. Can’t remember where. Helped some but then I went to a larger bolt handle and greased things up good in the cocking mechanism that TX_Aggie described perfectly as being the issue.

Gooldylocks

the pistol shooter guy
Jan 22, 2018
OREGON
My rifle has a terrible bolt lift compared to most brands. Even after cleaning up the big bump on the cocking ramp described earlier and polishing the whole ramp to a mirror finish and greasing.

To say savages don't have a heavier bolt lift than other rifles (at least in their factory confoguration) is patently false.

Sep 3, 2017
Christiansburg, VA
My rifle has a terrible bolt lift compared to most brands. Even after cleaning up the big bump on the cocking ramp described earlier and polishing the whole ramp to a mirror finish and greasing.

To say savages don't have a heavier bolt lift than other rifles (at least in their factory confoguration) is patently false.
Agreed.

There's a table in this article on Savage Shooters Forum that compares the effect of adding a single bearing (the mod that @MarinePMI and @Max mentioned) vs multiple bearings/thrust bearing vs re-timing the cocking sequence, vs doing both. According to the article, the bearing mods help some but work best if used along with timing the bolt.

It's a short read, about 1 page, but is interesting.

No one complains about bolt lift because they're UNABLE to lift the bolt. It's about the disturbance to the rifle when the bolt is run during things where multiple shots are needed, such as competitions.
Absolutely right.

Jan 1, 2018
LOL! Says the guy with 9 posts (all in this thread)...and registered for 8 months. Smh...way to make an intro bro...
Also your count is not accurate....you missed 1
LOL! Says the guy with 9 posts (all in this thread)...and registered for 8 months. Smh...way to make an intro bro...
Oh no i am being personally attacked !!
I suddenly can't open the bolt on my savage!!
Anybody have a wet nap?

Feb 25, 2017
I have several Savage rifles and a slug gun. All but one have needed attention of some sort to function somewhat reliably. I started shooting Border Wars matches this year with a modified Savage. I had a few finishes in the top 20 and even managed ninth once. Even with significant modifications the thing is still not 100% reliable. When I "built" it (screwed it together), I was dead set on using prefit barrels. The rpr hadn't come out and Tikka prefit options were limited and cost twice what a Criterion from NSS does. At that time it would have been financially irresponsible for me to get a nicer gun. I have $1000 invested in the Savage. With the Criterion barrels it is a half to three quarter minute gun reliably. It would probably be better with a better shooter. If I was going to try to shoot matches on a budget now I would start with a Howa or a Tikka to build off of or maybe a Bergara HMR if I was going to buy it and shoot it. When run hard Savages just don't cut it. I still lose points often due to clearing rounds that didn't eject on the clock. Yes, you can shoot a Savage in matches. Yes, you can run them hard. Yes, they WILL HOLD YOU BACK if you are looking to be competitive in a game where one more hit on the clock could potentially advance you two or three places. There would be a lot less arguing in threads like this if people would just get off the internet and go shoot. In some ways the Savage problems are "overblown" to an extent, but it is very frustrating to travel, pay for a motel room, and clear stoppages all day just to place 16th and leave feeling like you could have done a lot better if you hadn't timed out because the gun wouldn't eject. Just because it is possible for a good shooter to win a match with a Savage doesn't mean everyone should go buy one. Unless you are wanting to plink at long range for cheap there are better options. For a gun to shoot PRS style matches I will not build another one on a Savage action. They aren't worth the trouble to save a little bit of money.

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Mar 16, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
I have several Savage rifles and a slug gun. All but one have needed attention of some sort to function somewhat reliably. I started shooting Border Wars matches this year with a modified Savage. I had a few finishes in the top 20 and even managed ninth once. Even with significant modifications the thing is still not 100% reliable. When I "built" it (screwed it together), I was dead set on using prefit barrels. The rpr hadn't come out and Tikka prefit options were limited and cost twice what a Criterion from NSS does. At that time it would have been financially irresponsible for me to get a nicer gun. I have $1000 invested in the Savage. With the Criterion barrels it is a half to three quarter minute gun reliably. It would probably be better with a better shooter. If I was going to try to shoot matches on a budget now I would start with a Howa or a Tikka to build off of or maybe a Bergara HMR if I was going to buy it and shoot it. When run hard Savages just don't cut it. I still lose points often due to clearing rounds that didn't eject on the clock. Yes, you can shoot a Savage in matches. Yes, you can run them hard. Yes, they WILL HOLD YOU BACK if you are looking to be competitive in a game where one more hit on the clock could potentially advance you two or three places. There would be a lot less arguing in threads like this if people would just get off the internet and go shoot. In some ways the Savage problems are "overblown" to an extent, but it is very frustrating to travel, pay for a motel room, and clear stoppages all day just to place 16th and leave feeling like you could have done a lot better if you hadn't timed out because the gun wouldn't eject. Just because it is possible for a good shooter to win a match with a Savage doesn't mean everyone should go buy one. Unless you are wanting to plink at long range for cheap there are better options. For a gun to shoot PRS style matches I will not build another one on a Savage action. They aren't worth the trouble to save a little bit of money.
And too mention, that a few points higher could get you a prize off the table worth 2-3 times what a Savage is worth. I've been there concerning the points thing, not due to malfunctions, I don't shoot a Savage and my rifles run well, but it was due to mental mistakes, then watching a guy with a few more points walk off with the prize I had hoped for, OUCH, it can get painful!

Max

Descendant of John Adams
Interesting. I have just burned out my OEM Savage 10 .308 barrel with around 5000 hot rounds and I never had a failure. It has been in an AICS chassis for a three years now and with the AI mags I run 100 yard dot drills and other timed drills with 10 round mags. I have also hunted with it, firing follow ups shots under pressure. My friends tell me I run a bolt action like a semi-auto under pressure. I make hits out to 1200 yards consistently. I always thought the bolt lift issue was my hot loads until I investgated further. The longer handle, ball bearing disk and some grease did the trick for me.

I’m getting ready to rebarrel with a Criterion 6.5 creedmoor. Disappointing, at this juncture, to learn that I have been running a piece of shit. 🤠 Guess, if I can run a piece of shit, I’m doing something right.

If you are bothered by someone criticizing your choice of weapon or scope etc. you have bigger issues to deal with......

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2010
Denver, CO
Interesting. I have just burned out my OEM Savage 10 .308 barrel with around 5000 hot rounds and I never had a failure. It has been in an AICS chassis for a three years now and with the AI mags I run 100 yard dot drills and other timed drills with 10 round mags. I have also hunted with it, firing follow ups shots under pressure. My friends tell me I run a bolt action like a semi-auto under pressure. I make hits out to 1200 yards consistently. I always thought the bolt lift issue was my hot loads until I investgated further. The longer handle, ball bearing disk and some grease did the trick for me.

I’m getting ready to rebarrel with a Criterion 6.5 creedmoor. Disappointing, at this juncture, to learn that I have been running a piece of shit. 🤠 Guess, if I can run a piece of shit, I’m doing something right.

If you are bothered by someone criticizing your choice of weapon or scope etc. you have bigger issues to deal with......
Seriously, good for you for not having any reliability issues. I mean that. Your Puritan, frugal ancestor would be proud, lol. I sincerely respect people that compete with a Savage, like the gent that posted above you. It sucks leaving points on the board due to faulty equipment.

Again, some Savage's can really shoot. People get down on them because even if YOU have never had an issue, many have. Shouldn't challenge anyone's ego or hurt feelings. It's just that simple. You are rolling the dice with reliability buying a Savage.

Karma Enforcer
Jul 19, 2014

Yeah man, but were you running it "hard"?!? Lol you know, running the bolt faster than the mechanical mechanisms are capable of operating. Usually found in bump firing semi autos. Were you running it that "hard"? Because that is the kind of "hard" you need.

My model 10 hasnt had a failure yet either. After thousands of rounds. Fed, extracted and ejected every time. But, I need to run it HARD! Real hard.

Dthomas3523

Blind Squirrel
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas

I know exactly where you’re coming from.......my friends lie to me too 😢😢

XLR308

Sergeant of the Hide
Mar 22, 2018
Grand Junction, Colorado
I have a savage 110fp in 300wm that has been a rock from day one including the aquuisition of the TGR #3 in the world for the Schimatar Oryx.
Other than the center heart and neck shots taken at 100 and 200 yarss to anchor that Oryx have been head shots on whitetail and it will deliver consistent 5 shot groups in the .5" to .625" range at 200 yards with factory Winchester 180 ballistic silertip and Nosler custom 180 accubond.
There are very few custom rifles I've ever seen that can best that accuracy.

Apr 21, 2017
Some people feel the experience of driving an Escalade to be worth the price premium over a Chevy Tahoe. They both have the same basic chassis, do the same thing,etc. One is a heck of a lot more luxurious than the other. Worth it ? Everyone has to make the best decision for themselves.

I bought a T3 tac lefty, and for me, the shooting experience is worth 2x the cost over the Savage. One of the biggest things I have learned the hard way, is to not sweat paying a little more for what you want for a rifle. The real cost in this sport is feeding them.

Top Bottom