Who has the perfect brass catcher?

Tex_ponch

Ponch
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Baltimore MD
Ok I know all the offerings out there for brass catchers, but what have you come up with that works at the range and in the field?

Back story I am tired of picking though the grass in the pitch black of night trying to find 6creed brass.

Thanks in adv

Reactions: TACC

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Mb.
Years ago, I came across a brass catcher that was like a miniature 'butterfly net' type thing. It was attached to the back of a glove. Something that you always have your hand in the same location (talking about semi-auto here) and the brass will always be ejecting into the same trajectory AFTER the shot.

I never did get one to try it out, but it has always been in the back of my head for 'interest' and 'effectiveness'.

Others though, would say 'go be poor somewhere else' and don't bother with the brass. I'll leave that tangent alone, for now. :D

Notevenonpaper

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2019
I have an 8 year old. as long as I let him keep the weird brass he finds that I don't have a use for he brings back all of my .308 brass.

On a more serious note, I used to shoot with a guy that made himself a little net. Steel safety wire and storm door screen. Ultra lightweight, could bend and twist it any which way he needed it to although it seemed to always get tangled up in some form or fashion. I will see if I have an old picture of it somewhere.

Tex_ponch

Ponch
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Baltimore MD
I have an 8 year old. as long as I let him keep the weird brass he finds that I don't have a use for he brings back all of my .308 brass.

On a more serious note, I used to shoot with a guy that made himself a little net. Steel safety wire and storm door screen. Ultra lightweight, could bend and twist it any which way he needed it to although it seemed to always get tangled up in some form or fashion. I will see if I have an old picture of it somewhere.
can I take your kid out hunting coyotes? I am just tired of digging through grass n mud to find my creedmoor brass

Notevenonpaper

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2019
can I take your kid out hunting coyotes? I am just tired of digging through grass n mud to find my creedmoor brass
He would probably be good with that. If he keeps his grades up and keeps practicing with his rifle I have to take him out this fall for white tail and coyotes.

paulrem308

Private
Belligerents
Apr 9, 2012
South ms
He would probably be good with that. If he keeps his grades up and keeps practicing with his rifle I have to take him out this fall for white tail and coyotes.
Get the tactical brass recovery. Had mine for a while works great for what it is. Use mine on 3 ar platform. Until a better mousetrap comes along this is probably as good as it's going to get. If you all know of better set up, let me know

Dolomite_Supafly

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 15, 2009
E. TN
I used PVC to build a frame. I slide a pillow case over it and then folded the opening up to create a channel to catch the brass that would hit the pillow case.

It only works when stationary though.

Snuby642

Old Salt
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
Caldwell works, a bit of a pain to swap rifles with different 1 piece scope mounts. They could have made it longer by 1 inch.

fanninland

Private
Belligerents
Feb 9, 2017
NE Texas
I’m assuming this is for a gas gun? If so my recommendation is also Tactical Brass Recovery. High dollar but works great. Go all out and get the hinged model - makes it easy to check chamber, clear jams etc. I’ve got a couple thousand 6.8 cases that would’ve been lost to the night if I didn’t have it, so I figure it’s paid for itself by now. Good CS too - I cracked the frame by my own clumsiness and Lew(?) at TBR took care of it.

Reactions: TACC and Laseredge

Aussie Joe

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2019
Has anyone had any luck with either a commercial or home made brass catcher to suit a bolt action?

acudaowner

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
not that i would call it perfect in any way just you would have to be really trying to not catch your brass to miss this dog sized net .
1578736029842.png i assumed it was pretty big but its huge and for 60 +shipping from amazon it works not to mention the kids love tormenting the cat with it so its a ++ in my book . It just sits there along side you It has also caught others brass protecting me which has turned out to be a bonus .
CTK PRECISION Universal Brass Catcher / butterfly net and pool skimmer and cat trap .

hertz654

Private
Belligerents
Nov 12, 2007
Black Hills, SD
since this is posted in the D.I.Y. forum; here was my Gen1 prototype before I switched to the Caldwell Picatinny Rail Brass Catcher [I just bought one of the new Caldwell Brass Catcher with the Velcro bands for attachment and the swing arm to clear the ejection port]. My shooting buddy improved on my version with a sheetmetal deflector and a bottom flange to attach a Seagrams 7 blue, felt bag to20200111_115553_resized_2.jpg20200111_115631_resized_2.jpg20200111_115844.jpg20200111_120020.jpg [sorry no pics]

jrhtx

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 4, 2006
Houston, TX
Found one and put it on my 16" 68spc.
It's formed kydex that clips onto the rail.

View attachment 7211968
I have been using this same catcher hog hunting for 2(?) years on a 6.8 and 308. Works pretty good. I was not catching some brass so I looked at the seam around the top of the bag and took a piece of steel wire I had on the bench and worked it through. I can now "form" the bag opening. The catcher weighs nothing and works better. It goes on/off quickly and stores easily.

XLR308

Old Salt
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2018
Grand Junction, Colorado
not that i would call it perfect in any way just you would have to be really trying to not catch your brass to miss this dog sized net .
View attachment 7222492 i assumed it was pretty big but its huge and for 60 +shipping from amazon it works not to mention the kids love tormenting the cat with it so its a ++ in my book . It just sits there along side you It has also caught others brass protecting me which has turned out to be a bonus .
CTK PRECISION Universal Brass Catcher / butterfly net and pool skimmer and cat trap .
My brother bought the exact same one and yes they are big but very effective and well made for a bench or prone option.
I would give him shit about it since the range we mostly shot at was right by the lake and would occassionaly make it a duel purpose trip and go fishing afterwards.
" Hey man make sure you don't forget the minnow net " 🤣🤣

Reactions: TACC and acudaowner

MCHOG

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
I was shooting a match last year and ran across a guy that was making brass catchers by hand that swing in and out on the same system that some bubble levels use. Here is a picture of his rifle. I didn't get his card. Maybe he or someone who knows him will see this and let us know how we can get one.

Attachments

Sixdasha

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2019
I was shooting a match last year and ran across a guy that was making brass catchers by hand that swing in and out on the same system that some bubble levels use. Here is a picture of his rifle. I didn't get his card. Maybe he or someone who knows him will see this and let us know how we can get one.
I shot with that guy this year. Him and his buddy both were running them. They worked awesome!

Reactions: Tex_ponch and TACC

TACC

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2019
The hinged tactical brass catcher looks like the ticket so far.

mkollman74

Quo Vadis?
Belligerents
Nov 5, 2009
WA, USA
Tactical Brass Recovery. Stupid name, great product. I've shot matches with mine. No problems at all.

Billiam1211

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2018
IL
+1 on Tactical Brass Recovery

They're pricey however it's easy to move from rifle to rifle with a pic rail and I've never had any stoppages. Definitely worth the investment if you shoot a lot of gas guns.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

Chevoke

I love the Y
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Central Texas
since this is posted in the D.I.Y. forum; here was my Gen1 prototype before I switched to the Caldwell Picatinny Rail Brass Catcher [I just bought one of the new Caldwell Brass Catcher with the Velcro bands for attachment and the swing arm to clear the ejection port]. My shooting buddy improved on my version with a sheetmetal deflector and a bottom flange to attach a Seagrams 7 blue, felt bag toView attachment 7222724View attachment 7222725View attachment 7222726View attachment 7222727 [sorry no pics]
Redneck technology at its best. Love it.

• Haha
Reactions: Billiam1211

Tex_ponch

Ponch
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Baltimore MD
I was curious what people had "red neck engineered". I have a 3d printer and have been playing with some different ideas. I am not spending 200 on a brass catcher to save 50...maybe 100.... Someone asked if it is for a gas gun....well the answer is yes...but also for a bolt gun. I want something I can switch between platforms. Thanks for all the iinput

phlegethon

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
+1 on Tactical Brass Recovery

They're pricey however it's easy to move from rifle to rifle with a pic rail and I've never had any stoppages. Definitely worth the investment if you shoot a lot of gas guns.
It looks like it attaches on the side, which makes it unusable without messing around with adding MLOK rails or removing rail covers from all my ARs. I think if something like this doesn't use the top rail that everyone has, it's a nonstarter.