What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

sled_mack

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 31, 2008
Slatington, PA
I suck at shooting 100 yards on paper. Absolutely suck. So I have days where I shoot 1 inch groups at 100 and 300 yards.

But in all honesty, if I have a good shooter on my rifle, they do much better than me at 100 yards.

So how much of this myth is bad shooter, not the bullet going to sleep?

Travclem

Dr. Dickweed
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2013
Lubbock, TX
I suck at shooting 100 yards on paper. Absolutely suck. So I have days where I shoot 1 inch groups at 100 and 300 yards.

But in all honesty, if I have a good shooter on my rifle, they do much better than me at 100 yards.

So how much of this myth is bad shooter, not the bullet going to sleep?
100% shooter. If it was the bullet, the good shooter wouldn't do any better with your rifle. Could be a parallax issue, but that would likely affect the other shooter as well.

This thread is turning out to be really ironic.

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I tend to listen to 1K benchrest shooters who test at 1k. if a load holds close waterline at 1k, it is holding it the whole way there, and a great deal farther. Can you develop a load in less rds at 100? Plus any load needs verification, you develop at distance, every shot taken is verification to a degree, and it becomes way easier to discard shit.
Why are we having this discussion in this subforum? I think I recall not that long ago, you shot factory ammo because hand loading took up too much of your time.
So, basically, you don’t have a valid argument against erik‘s method except “I don’t like it.”

spife7980

Luchador
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
If it can be done closer (less environmental factors) then why mess with longer ranges?

I tend to listen to guys who have won tons of matches and done more testing than most of us combined.
The thing is though, those winning 1k yard br matches ARE testing at 1k.

I like the cortina thread but its mainly a introductory thread for new loaders to keep them from going off the rails and to control what factors they are able to, once you have a bit of time and you really want to know the results you sort of have to test at distance to validate the findings and optimize.

Steel head

Feral kitten
Belligerents
Aug 3, 2014
Washington

I like the cortina thread but its mainly a introductory thread for new loaders to keep them from going off the rails and to control what factors they are able to, once you have a bit of time and you really want to know the results you sort of have to test at distance to validate the findings and optimize.
^^^^^^This is what I learned.

lash

Swamp Rat
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida

^^^^^^This is what I learned.
Okay, so before anyone gets their parties all in a twist, let’s just go ahead and clear up the issue a bit. There is a specific difference between how one should approach load development for long range multi distance PRS and field style matches and how to approach when shooting 600 or 1000 yard bench rest matches. If one is arguing against the other, it’s very likely that you are both right and both wrong at the same time.

The simplest way it can be said is that field match shooters are looking for a load that is robust in both lack of variation in differing conditions and one that gives them acceptable on target results at distances from 25-1300 yards. The bench rest shooter is looking for a load that is specifically dialed in at their target distance (be that 600 yards or 1000 yards). They both start with the same basic concept to get a solid load, but the finer points of load development are different between the two.

Once you recognize those differences, then you can go ahead and argue all you want about the basic load development process.

Bumpin88

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2020
You gain no velocity in a 338LM with a barrel over 24 inches. Or any other rifle for that matter. The things you hear in a LGS.

Pre-64

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2019
Saw a guy at the LGS ask ask if they bore sight scopes, employee said yes, guy goes out to his vehicle and comes in with just a scope in a box, hands it to the worker, he asked where is your rifle and the guy said “ the rifle shoots great I just need the scope sighted in”. He left in a bit of a huff after all the laughter died down.

Bear9350

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2019
A guy who shoots 600 yard bench rest explaining the reason he was 12" low at a new range. The new range shoots to the east and normally he shoots north. Doesn't know what this phenomenon is called but knows it's a thing. He declares this phenomenon the reason his point of impact was not what he expected.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Belligerents
Jan 25, 2010
the Westside
A guy who shoots 600 yard bench rest explaining the reason he was 12" low at a new range. The new range shoots to the east and normally he shoots north. Doesn't know what this phenomenon is called but knows it's a thing. He declares this phenomenon the reason his point of impact was not what he expected.
Doesn't everyone know about vertical coriolis?