What type of case/bag are you using

Bigtee-02

For Sale Access
Apr 7, 2018
Grayson, KY
Just getting into long range shooting, I have a Tikka CTR, in 260, Bergar HMR in 308 and just purchased a Bergara BMP in 6.5 CM. I have to transport my rifles in a SXS and am wondering what you all are caring them in. I have about a mile ride to get to the farm where I shoot and it’s rough in spots.

May 12, 2017
Give plaino a look. Bought there hard case with cut out foam to match the rifle outline. You can lock it for transporting. Forget what length case i bought but fits my bolt 260 with 28"barrel. Best part its cheeper than pelican and just as good. Looking to buy another. 20180416_082740.png

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2005
Mission, KS
www.donttouchme.com
I use soft cases for everything as none of my gear is supposed to be that banged up in a truck ride.

But if going hard case, 100% Pelican, and pony up for the custom foam. I know a guy with a store who is running a group buy deal on Pelican now, will be closed in a week, so — if allowed for me to say that here — ping me for the info on it.

AFController

New Hide Member
Apr 12, 2018
Academy Sports has a Plano WB that is a really solid case for about $110. The Pelican was right beside it, and it was in no way $125 better than the Plano.

May 12, 2017
I use soft cases for most of my rifles. But on my long range bolt action 260 that I spent a arm and a leg on . The plaino hard case was a no brainer and it don't break the bank for the quality.

May 12, 2017
If anyone is interested in pistol hard cases came across this MTM case for very short money. It locks , fits 4 pistol plus mags, firearms fit snug, 20180416_081137.png

gearguywb

Sergeant of the Hide
Mar 17, 2018
I bought a couple of drag bags from Midway when they had them on sale a couple of weeks ago. Pretty darned good bag for the $$$$

May 12, 2017
Thanks for the info, I'll check out the Plano's since it looks like I'm going to have to purchase 2 or 3 of them. The drag bags be a good idea also.
Your welcome. There are different ones available. I have posted a pic of the one I purchased. See previous post

Aug 14, 2018
For going to the range: VISM 46" Drag Bag with plenty of pockets for cleaning equipment and other range gear.
For flying Pelican hard case, middle foam layer custom cut out with an electric knife for rifle, sling, mags, bolt, etc. ... (mag well pointing upward so TSA doesn't even need to handle anything, open lock - one look - close case - close lock - Done!)

Aug 14, 2018
Thanks for the hint FingerBlaster! I was not familiar with Nanuk cases but after checking out the reviews and seeing they use stainless steel hardware and come with the TSA locks already I'll have to look for them and check them out next time I'm out range shopping. On some of my Pelican cases the locks have been a pain to close.

Jul 2, 2014
London, KY
Thanks for the hint FingerBlaster! I was not familiar with Nanuk cases but after checking out the reviews and seeing they use stainless steel hardware and come with the TSA locks already I'll have to look for them and check them out next time I'm out range shopping. On some of my Pelican cases the locks have been a pain to close.
DO NOT put TSA locks on your firearm case, ever.

Aug 14, 2018
Thanks for the advice. Haven't had to check any flying yet, but will when I'll visit friends in Alaska. Didn't like the idea of TSA checking the case without me anyway. So far when traveling by plane my weapons were in one of Uncle Sam's Conex units. Does put a damper on the Nanuk cases though as their locks per advertisement come with TSA keys.

Top Bottom