What is considered good offhand accuracy at 100 yds?

TACC

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2019
What caliber are we shooting here?

TACC

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2019
Using this same weapon and ammo what are the group sizes from a bench?

riverside jeep

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2019
One of the old gun writers said being able to hit a beer can in 5 seconds offhand. My c.r.s. is kicking in on his name.

TACC

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2019
I think the soda can in that time frame is a good group,

I would say an excellent group is the bottom of the soda can in that time frame.

If on the bench you can shoot the 1 moa.

MadDuner

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2019
I had trouble shooting 1 moa at 100yds with my new red dot scope yesterday, while sighting in my new CZ Scorpion 9mm Carbine. Of course it’s a 2 moa dot and no magnification....

I just kept shooting at the same spot until the center was gone and it made me feel better about it. A couple of hundred rounds and it’s just a single ragged hole. LOL (ok, slight exaggeration). Actually it did very well from the bench.

Off-hand it was more like 3 moa, but the 12 lb pull on the trigger wasn’t helping much.
I’ll get it to be better and the grouping will tighten.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie

natdscott

Experienced Beginner
Belligerents
Jun 13, 2008
If you can stand up and shoot your rifle unsupported into 3MOA groups of a significant number of rounds, you won’t have to take shit from anybody about it, that’s for damn sure. I’ve shot as high as 50% on a 1.5 MOA target, but I had a coat on. Then again, it was irons and a 4.8 lb trigger, so maybe that evens out.

The “old man” standard was actually “groups the size of a fist” at 100 paces.

I just know that I’ve spent a fair amount of time working on the task, and if you asked me—in just a tshirt with a bare rifle—to hit a 3” circle every shot for 50 rounds...well, I doubt it.

natdscott

Experienced Beginner
Belligerents
Jun 13, 2008
Repeatedly hitting a 1/5th scale ram, offhand, at 100m would be considered excellent offhand accuracy.
You are not wrong. For anybody not familiar, the core hit area on a Ram is about 3" tall x 4" wide, and you better keep your crosshair in the middle of that, since most of the rifles are MOA at best.

But I'll add: Meh. The 77m Turkeys are the real SOB. Basically a golf ball at 84 Yards.

I'm usually about 7-8 for 10 on Rams, and have run them. I think I've only EVER hit 8 Turkeys.

Last edited:

ScottDWallace

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2018
Austin, TX
You are not wrong. For anybody not familiar, the core hit area on a Ram is about 3" tall x 4" wide, and you better keep your crosshair in the middle of that, since most of the rifles are MOA at best.

But I'll add: Meh. The 77m Turkeys are the real SOB. Basically a golf ball at 84 Yards.

I'm usually about 7-8 for 10 on Rams, and have run them. I think I've only EVER hit 8 Turkeys.
Don't even get me started on those damn turkeys!

• Haha
Reactions: natdscott

brianf

Private
Belligerents
Apr 8, 2010
NY
not 22lr but the really good guys in PRS/unstable positions average about 2moa
some better some worse
i

brianf

Private
Belligerents
Apr 8, 2010
NY
sorry off hand/ kneeling/ no suport, not all slung up with a shooting jacket etc

natdscott

Experienced Beginner
Belligerents
Jun 13, 2008
Righto.

BIG difference between sling-supported standing "unsupported" a la PRS, and what I was discussing...

...which is you. A tshirt. And your rifle.

But by-th-by, Highpower and Smallbore "coat" shooters are not allowed to use a sling for support. Coat and glove = okay.

I'll never say my Monard makes no difference in my scores.

In the same line though, I don't deserve any shit for how I shoot without it. I grew up shooting, but I didn't grow up shooting at paper targets.

A coat does not make up for lack of core strength, holding drills, dry fire, and live fire anymore than it does structural issues with the position itself. (ie: doing something stupid like shooting it as though it's a Silver Pigeon instead of like an Annie 1913)

20 lb rifles aren't conformist to your desires of them. They make YOU do what THEY want. Best get used to that, and get along with it. :)

-Nate

Last edited:

MadDuner

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2019
I’m ok with just T-shirt and 7# rifle. Sling or no sling. But a 20# rifle and I don’t get along very well.

Reactions: natdscott

Healy

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2018
If you can consistently shoot pie plate Moa off hand at 100yds your plenty accurate enough to be deadly