What are the do's and don'ts with a new barrel

rcmigpilot

Private
Belligerents
Nov 3, 2012
Louisiana
Just got in my new 20" s/s Wilson Super Sniper barrel in 223 Wylde and if the midnight bronze Cerakote on my upper and lower gets done in time I'll be able to assemble the rifle and take it for a spin this weekend. This is my first premium barrel so are there any do's and don'ts? Any particular ammo to stay away from? I was going to use either PMC or American Eagle (why waste the good stuff) for the first few mags to make sure everything functions properly and to set the AGB before I tried to zero the scope. Any general rule on how many rounds before trying to zero and see specific ammo it likes the best? Eoddave27 just posted that he just bought the same barrel and his really likes 73gr ELD.

Almost forgot, no break in instructions with the barrel, contacted WC, haven't heard back. And for the record I do plan to shoot the shit out of it this weekend, just don't want to make a mistake and screw something up, this barrel cost almost as much as my 1st AR. I've got about 300 rounds of PMC and American Eagle that I plan to blow through then try for groups with Black Hills 55gr V Max, 69 & 77gn SMK, as well Hornady 73gr ELD and 75gr Frontier and Black. I've got some Prvi and Federal match grade stuff in various weights coming, but it won't be here for this weekend's festivities.

Last edited:

earthtrekker1775

The Prodigal Gun
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Apr 3, 2009
PNW
Just got in my new 20" s/s Wilson Super Sniper barrel in 223 Wylde and if the midnight bronze Cerakote on my upper and lower gets done in time I'll be able to assemble the rifle and take it for a spin this weekend. This is my first premium barrel so are there any do's and don'ts? Any particular ammo to stay away from? I was going to use either PMC or American Eagle (why waste the good stuff) for the first few mags to make sure everything functions properly and to set the AGB before I tried to zero the scope. Any general rule on how many rounds before trying to zero and see specific ammo it likes the best? Eoddave27 just posted that he just bought the same barrel and his really likes 73gr ELD.
Don't treat it as if it is unloaded.
Don't point it at anything you do not intend to shoot.
Don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire.
Don't take it off safe until you are ready to fire.
Don't shoot steel cased ammo if you have something better.
Clean it from time to time.

Faronth

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2019
Southern Arizona
Did the manufacturer provide a recommendation for a brake in procedure? I figure it can't hurt. I have no direct experience that a barrel break in did or did not significantly improve barrel performance on any of my new or replacement barrels but if the people making it go through the trouble to provide a recommendation I would just follow it.

Some personal observations, my first M1a barrel (a USGI 1966 mnfg) had a dramatic improvement in accuracy right at 200 rounds as did my buddies who bought one right after shooting my new rifle cuz he liked it.

My Noveski .223 14.5" Afghan barrel was tack driver pretty much right out of the box so to speak. The Noveski chamber is very close to the .223 Wylde.

YMMV

loveha

SGT's OFP
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2018
NW Lower Michigan
Good quality barrels that are hand lapped, polished, etc... Don't really require a breaking in procedure. Does it hurt to do one? No, and that is up to you and how you do it.
Cheap barrels have burrs and tooling marks that will grab at and tear at the copper jacket. Break ins of three shots with a clean between each then three shots and a clean are to smooth out those issues.

Me, I sight it in, maybe finish the box of 20 or 50 rounds, and give it a good cleaning. It won't get cleaned again till 200 rounds after that.
Make or buy a round count book.
I bought my first one, I'm just going to copy it and make my own in Excel.

Reactions: AMP!

MangoFett

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2018
Missouri
Step one: clean the hell out of the barrel and make sure there's nothing left over from the reaming and machining done to it

Step two: shoot it

jab00

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2017
Step one: clean the hell out of the barrel and make sure there's nothing left over from the reaming and machining done to it

Step two: shoot it
This! Although, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any chips or other machine remnants come out of any of my barrels other than my WASR10 - that barrel seemed like someone at the Cugir factory spent a better part of their day shoving crap into the barrel

Bradu

Belligerents
Aug 24, 2011
IL
This! Although, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any chips or other machine remnants come out of any of my barrels other than my WASR10 - that barrel seemed like someone at the Cugir factory spent a better part of their day shoving crap into the barrel
I need to find the pictures from the one rifle I had built, claimed he test fired it. I had all kinds of metal in that mother fucker so it was obvious that he was a phoney cocksucker.

loveha

SGT's OFP
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2018
NW Lower Michigan
I have a Proof Carbon AR barrel that had metal hanging from the gas port from when it was drilled. Had to run a brass brush several times to get it knocked loose.

I always clean them first though anyways.

garandman

Captain Average
Belligerents
Nov 17, 2009
Seated, presently
Clean b4 shooting for fist time.

Shoot 1 round. Clean. Repeat 5 times.

Done.

If "break-in" is a myth, I've lost about 15 minutes. If it helps, then it wa s 15 minutes well spent.

Constructor

Private
Belligerents
Never shoot a barrel with a squeaky clean dry bore. Dry copper bullets on a bare dry barrel is a sure recipe for copper fouling. Run a patch with light oil then 1 dry loose fit patch to remove excess oil. That kills most of the BS about shoot once and clean with strong solvents. Don't overheat that stainless barrel as you are BLOWING cheap ammo through it.
The Wilson Combat barrels I have seen are not handlapped. I handle about 20 barrels made by the same company every day. IMO you need to lay down a good layer of carbon as a barrier between the copper bullets and bare metal. If it starts shooting accurately the first day just shoot it and don't clean the bore until accuracy drops off. If you are getting great groups just before you leave and go home to clean the bore chances are you wont be shooting good groups next time you get to the range with the same load until you have several fouling shots down the barrel again.

Constructor

Private
Belligerents
I thought cleaning it once after the manufacturing process was common sense?

And who is the asshole throwing his rifle on the ground? wow
The guy throwing the rifle was here on the hide many years ago "nobody". He was banned several times and changed his name and banned again. If you see anyone use the phrase " laffin" it's more than likely him. Was hanging out on 24hrcampfire last I saw.