Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

Cofercr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
Cache, Oklahoma
Went out with the new toy and got it sighted in. Didn’t do ammo testing going to wait till I have more rounds through it. However was impressed for first mornings results.

Attachments

Cofercr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
Cache, Oklahoma
18" Barrel Length
Kukri Contour - NO Threads!
20 MOA Scope Base
Melonited Action
Stainless Steel Barrel
Upgraded Trigger Tech Diamond Trigger - Curved Shoe
Additional Mag (One Magazine is include with the V-22!)
Large Tactical Bolt Knob

Scootch

Private
Belligerents
Mar 22, 2017
Mississippi
The Manners lead time, given I did not want to wait 6-8 months, limited my selection on color/finish, etc. I think all I need to consider now is a proper scope, rings, etc. unless I missed something you guys see? Always open to suggestions....
I hope VGW business model stands the test of time but we don't really know where they will be in 10 years or when we hand these guns down to our children and grandchildren. The forums are full of post looking for spare parts and magazines for old and discontinued firearms. My recommendation would be to buy spare parts for the bolt and maybe a few rails of different MOA.

Scootch

RainierRimfire

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2019
So true, maybe one day someone will come up with a solution.
I received my Vudoo not long ago and your comments are concerning me... This is my first SS precision rifle and I like to clean my guns after every use but it is sounding like these things are like hot house flowers. I did buy the bore guide and have followed the VGW cleaning video after each use, 4 times.

Am I going to ruin my $3k gun?

It really goes against my OCD to leave it dirty.

Thanks!

EddieE

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 20, 2017
I received my Vudoo not long ago and your comments are concerning me... This is my first SS precision rifle and I like to clean my guns after every use but it is sounding like these things are like hot house flowers. I did buy the bore guide and have followed the VGW cleaning video after each use, 4 times.

Thanks!
Not sure if you are serious. Those comments you quoted were sarcastic as far as I can tell. The barrels can take proper cleaning. Bronz brushes or nylon bristles would work fine too. Use the coated rods and the bore guide and you should be fine. I would not brush the barrel after every use. Run a patchworm through it after each trip to the range. Brush it as needed. For me (not vudoo gun) it means I brush it every 400 rounds. Running the patchworm every 50 rounds keeps the carbon ring down.

TIMMYTOY

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2018
Sold my Rugers to Get a Vudoo - Kukri barrel 20” fed,MPA black chassis,shv 4x14 with nightforce rings what a incredible tool/weapon! If your on the fence of buying one go for it worth every penny.
Today shot federal target grade performance ammo did very well 25yds almost one holer’s 50yds slightly larger shot it out to 200 was ok. Only had 30 rds federal gold match they shot 1/4 at 50yrds need to do more Shooting.
Tried 36gr cci and 40gr Aguila that I had they would not even feed in.
Planning on buying more federal gold match and lapua.
Weight is 13lbs.

Attachments

Reactions: Rodney_6

Bo Ployhar

Private
Belligerents
Apr 30, 2013
Potomac, MT

Thanks!
I was told by one of the owners of ACE barrels (my uncle) to shoot them and just keep the action clean. He said it will take a few hundred rounds till it shoots it's best. So if you cleaning more often than that you could be missing out on it's full accuracy potential.

RainierRimfire

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2019
I was told by one of the owners of ACE barrels (my uncle) to shoot them and just keep the action clean. He said it will take a few hundred rounds till it shoots it's best. So if you cleaning more often than that you could be missing out on it's full accuracy potential.
WOW, thanks!

billmeek

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2019
Middle TN
I'd suggest reading through this thread about cleaning and making your own decision:

RainierRimfire

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2019
Not sure if you are serious. Those comments you quoted were sarcastic as far as I can tell. The barrels can take proper cleaning. Bronz brushes or nylon bristles would work fine too. Use the coated rods and the bore guide and you should be fine. I would not brush the barrel after every use. Run a patchworm through it after each trip to the range. Brush it as needed. For me (not vudoo gun) it means I brush it every 400 rounds. Running the patchworm every 50 rounds keeps the carbon ring down.
HA, yeah I am serious! What is a patchworm?

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 16, 2010
Lewiston, ME

Thanks!
Oh man I was just joking, it was very tongue in cheek! My point is most people WAY over think this cleaning thing. I am no expert by any means but I have been at this for a while now and have yet to wreck a barrel. My method with rimfires (that have stainless barrels, I am a little more particular with chrome-moly) is to shoot them until about 1000-1500 ish rounds and then clean or if they drop accuracy. When I clean I always use a bore guide and high quality rod with a quality solvent. Lately I have been liking Bore Tech Carbon solvent for rimfire, but TM, Bore Tech Eliminator, Hoppes 9, and many others. I have used the pull through like Otis on centerfire and the plastic string style on rimfire as a field expedient method when needed, but IMO a bore guide and rod is the way to go. With that the last few years I have been using the VFG felts and think they are a better mouse trap.

As long as your shooting it every few weeks don't clean it until you need to. If you put it away for several months then give it a clean.

shaun1826

Private
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2017
Little Rock, AR
Received my Vudoo Tuesday. Here are results from some lot testing I did today. I put 300 rounds through it Friday, cleaned the barrel, then put another 450 rounds through it Saturday morning and cleaned the barrel again. I then Lot tested the following Saturday afternoon. I wouldn’t draw any conclusions of the accuracy of the rifle based on this testing. Unfortunately it was the first time I had ever been to this indoor range and the benches they had were cheap and not stable. It was a struggle to keep the scopes dot within the red circle with constant drifting. I believe a comparison can still be made within this test about which lots were the more accurate however.

232A393B-0463-421F-9DBC-45335E783E24.jpeg1E83D106-B71C-4953-8123-4E8F2DA2254A.jpegF4B2B78E-C4BE-43E7-B945-287ACBABFC02.jpegDA943A0B-FCDA-4DE8-8C91-E593EAACD394.jpeg57443CC3-98D0-4428-9410-71E041DCAEFD.jpeg

Last edited:

marks_a18138

Private
Belligerents
Oct 11, 2017
SIlabs -
When I mounted an Athlon Cronus on my first precision 22RF repeater, I thought I'd gone over the top, and that the guys I shoot with would think I'd lost it when they saw a 34mm scope on a .22... But, the Cronus replaced a 30mm Bushnell 6-24x50 ffp scope with the DMR reticle, and after the first range session with the Cronus, I knew I was never going back to a scope of lesser optical & mechanical quality. Not knocking the Bushnell's quality, but there was a rather large improvement in optical quality when I moved up to the Cronus. The biggest improvement however, was in going to turrets with 10 mils/revolution AND a zero stop, where the Bushy had only 5 mils per, and no zero stop. That Bushnell now sits on a custom AR15 with a 24" Krieger bbl in 22PDK, while all four of my precision .22RF rifles have 4.5-29x56 Cronus scopes mounted.
I switched my wife's scope from Ares ETR to the New Cronus with the APRS1 reticle and she said it was a major upgrade!

flatland1

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 7, 2005
Western Kansas
I switched my wife's scope from Ares ETR to the New Cronus with the APRS1 reticle and she said it was a major upgrade!
marks,
I've got one of the new Cronus scopes with the APRS1 reticle, but haven't mounted it, as I bought it to re-sell. My favorite Cronus reticle is still the old original heavy + aiming point. I like it better than the thinner BTR reticle, and since I've shot the Athlon floating dot reticles on Ares ETR & Midas TAC 6-24x50, am just not that crazy about the dot. I find the heavier, pre-BTR + easier to keep track of while shooting movers, and don't feel that it covers too much of even small targets engaged during .22RF PR matches. There was a stage with movers in the .22RF match I shot last weekend, which I shot with a Cronus BTR, and although it worked out part of the time, I wish I'd have had the older pre-BTR reticle for that stage. Hope your wife's new Cronus works well for her - I may have to try the one I've got, just to see if I feel it's a step-up from the ETR I have mounted on a M70 in 6x47 Lapua.

shaun1826

Private
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2017
Little Rock, AR
I'd be trying to buy more of that lot. :)
Yep. I think that lot will do pretty well. The second lot of SK Standard did pretty well too. I was a bit suprised that the Center X didn’t perform any better. I was hoping the SK pistol would have done a bit better as a few guys I shoot with do well with it and it has an attractive price point.

flatland1

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 7, 2005
Western Kansas
AFAIK, there's no way to adjust the V-22 action to give a longer bolt throw. I wouldn't worry about it - try shooting some speed drills with your new Vudoo, and I think you'll find that you adjust to the shorter bolt stroke rather quickly.

Phil G

Private
Belligerents
Jan 9, 2006
Austin, Texas
Cleaning Rod Question - Cleaned my Vudoo last night and my coated cleaning rod is flaking off bits of plastic. Can someone please recommend a good one piece stainless steel rod that is .187 in diameter. Thanks!
Phil G

Scampo

Private
Belligerents
Jan 26, 2013
Attleboro, Massachusetts
I use Tipton carbon fiber one piece cleaning rods for all my rifles. They make one in 17 cal which is perfect for my Vudoo.

Using an uncoated stainless steel rod could scratch the inside of the barrel

pucker

Teufelhunden
Belligerents
Dec 8, 2011
currently stationed in FL
SIlabs -
When I mounted an Athlon Cronus on my first precision 22RF repeater, I thought I'd gone over the top, and that the guys I shoot with would think I'd lost it when they saw a 34mm scope on a .22... But, the Cronus replaced a 30mm Bushnell 6-24x50 ffp scope with the DMR reticle, and after the first range session with the Cronus, I knew I was never going back to a scope of lesser optical & mechanical quality. Not knocking the Bushnell's quality, but there was a rather large improvement in optical quality when I moved up to the Cronus. The biggest improvement however, was in going to turrets with 10 mils/revolution AND a zero stop, where the Bushy had only 5 mils per, and no zero stop. That Bushnell now sits on a custom AR15 with a 24" Krieger bbl in 22PDK, while all four of my precision .22RF rifles have 4.5-29x56 Cronus scopes mounted.
Emphatic +1. The Hide community knows the importance of a quality optic, particularly when attached to a quality rifle...but I'll highlight something that dawned on me after having a V-22 for several months... It has easily become my most often used rifle.

How sad would it be to spend minutes a month behind a $3k optic on one of my centerfire rifles...and HOURS behind a much lesser optic.

Mentioned several times in prior posts, but suggest looking at something with short-range parallax ability. Several out there @ <50yrds... PMII, ATACR, Kahles, Cronus, Razor HD, etc. I personally like the PMII on mine...@ 10m parallax (tied w/ ATACR) allows dry-fire practice indoors. Which BTW is yet ANOTHER great thing about the Vudoo.

shaun1826

Private
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2017
Little Rock, AR
Cleaning Rod Question - Cleaned my Vudoo last night and my coated cleaning rod is flaking off bits of plastic. Can someone please recommend a good one piece stainless steel rod that is .187 in diameter. Thanks!
Phil G
If you watch Vudoo’s video on cleaning, he is using a Montana X-treme cleaning rod as the .17 cal has a magenta colored handle.

SIlabs

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2019
Pucker,

As you correctly point out....plan on spending significantly more time shooting .22lr (having put aside reloading - took up far too much of my time to be competitive) than centerfire rifles. I have an ATACR 4-16x50mm SFP scope available but will be adding another scope soon...the questions I am balancing is what power, SFP vs FFP, reticle, and of course maker/model, etc.? Seems to be a multitude of choices / options.

With the next scope purchase, I think moving up in power range makes sense but narrowing down the field from there is where some feedback from other v22 owners would be helpful....

Thanks,

Jim

shaun1826

Private
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2017
Little Rock, AR
Pucker,

As you correctly point out....plan on spending significantly more time shooting .22lr (having put aside reloading - took up far too much of my time to be competitive) than centerfire rifles. I have an ATACR 4-16x50mm SFP scope available but will be adding another scope soon...the questions I am balancing is what power, SFP vs FFP, reticle, and of course maker/model, etc.? Seems to be a multitude of choices / options.

With the next scope purchase, I think moving up in power range makes sense but narrowing down the field from there is where some feedback from other v22 owners would be helpful....

Thanks,

Jim
If you are going to be doing ANY shooting, like nrl 22 matches, where holdovers are necessary then you definitely want FFP. If your only target shooting and will be dialing everything then SFP will work just fine. I would read up on the differences to better understand SFP vs FFP. As far as zoom, on the low end 8x is plenty in my opinion. On the top end 25x is plenty, but more is always good. I’d rather have it and not need it.

marks_a18138

Private
Belligerents
Oct 11, 2017
If you watch Vudoo’s video on cleaning, he is using a Montana X-treme cleaning rod as the .17 cal has a magenta colored handle.
I was having the same problem, I purchased the rod that a lot of the 22lr benchrest guys are using... The
Melonited .187" Dia. Cleaning Rod from KSS. It is not cheap at all!

Sieg

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2018
Phil G
I removed my ejector and smoothed all the edges to minimize cleaning rod damage. Initially I was using a Dewey .22 cal rod, have since switched to Dewey .20 with Vudoo bore guide.

Cofercr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
Cache, Oklahoma
Pucker,

Thanks,

Jim
I built my V22 to emulate my 308 and 6.5 They have vortex razors 4.5x27 with EBR-2C reticle. On my V22 I am using a Vortex PST 5X25 with same reticle and all are FFP. In my opinion shooting long distance with my big guns or very small targets with my V22 looks the same through the scope and I like a FFP presentation better especially when making corrections with the reticle.

flatland1

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 7, 2005
Western Kansas
I've got a ProShot stainless 20 cal rod that I bought after building myself a 20 VarTarg several years ago. Bought an adaptor that allows jags & brushes with 8-32 threads on the 20 cal rod with 5-40 threads. Works well even in my CZ bbls with tighter .22RF bores than the Bartlein, Krieger, and Lilja bbls on my 40XB & V-22s.

SIlabs

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2019
I have a Dewey .20 cal. coated rod that mikes .185 and purchased the Vudoo / mwerks bore guide....should be good to go. Now just waiting on the rifle :rolleyes:

n00g7

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2019
CTX
Picked mine up this last weekend. Also obtained 3650 rounds of Eley Match, mixed lot #s in amounts of 1k/1k/500/500/400/250, for ~11cpr. Hopefully get the chance to spend more time with it soon and see which ones shoot the best.

Dthomas3523

Edge hit......flasher not working
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
If you are going to be doing ANY shooting, like nrl 22 matches, where holdovers are necessary then you definitely want FFP. If your only target shooting and will be dialing everything then SFP will work just fine. I would read up on the differences to better understand SFP vs FFP. As far as zoom, on the low end 8x is plenty in my opinion. On the top end 25x is plenty, but more is always good. I’d rather have it and not need it.
You can easily shoot nrl22 at max power for all stages.

Only holding over 1.9/2mil.

I run most all nrl22 matches on max power without a problem. Longer matches are a bit different.

usafa77

Belligerents
Feb 18, 2017
Ok another Vudoo "fanboy" report. I have occasional ejection problems. After reading the thread about ejection problems, and having a very early gun, I called VGW on Monday. Paul said send in the barreled action. Did that Monday afternoon, from Colorado. Priority mail. Email today Wendesday- you gun is on it's way to you. How is that possible! Now i need to post my best 100 yd 3 shot target ever and I'm good to go.

RainierRimfire

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2019
Soooo .... Yeah. I have an RPRF with an ER SHAW barrel. It shoots pretty damn well.

But today I got to try a new Video in an MPA chassis.

Shot at 50yds with same ammo. Target speaks for itself... Call me a "believer". Wow.

View attachment 7065929
HA! This could have been my target. I bought an RPR around a year ago and was very frustrated that all the holes wouldn’t touch in all my groups. After some research I decided on an Anschutz. A couple days before I ordered it I came across Vudoo. Didn’t know anything about them but wanted a gun made in the USA instead of Germany. I could not be happier. My Vudoo is ridiculous. My 100 yard groups with my Vudoo are better than a lot of my RPR groups are at 50 yards. I may need to buy another one soon!

10ring1

The Zohan
Belligerents
Aug 9, 2012
HA! This could have been my target. I bought an RPR around a year ago and was very frustrated that all the holes wouldn’t touch in all my groups. After some research I decided on an Anschutz. A couple days before I ordered it I came across Vudoo. Didn’t know anything about them but wanted a gun made in the USA instead of Germany. I could not be happier. My Vudoo is ridiculous. My 100 yard groups with my Vudoo are better than a lot of my RPR groups are at 50 yards. I may need to buy another one soon!
I was in the exact same boat. Was just a few days away from ordering a second Anschutz and started reading about the Vudoo. I was happy with the accuracy of the Anschutz but the ejection problem is infuriating. Took in all the information I could and decided on the Vudoo. Picked it up yesterday. Can't wait to give it a go. Ended up going with the Ridgeback. The fact that is made in the USA was a big determining factor of purchase. The fact that Vudoo as a company and their customer service is second to none, just sealed the deal for me to buy a Vudoo.

Reactions: rizzle

MTWelder

Private
Belligerents
Aug 16, 2010
Soooo .... Yeah. I have an RPRF with an ER SHAW barrel. It shoots pretty damn well.

But today I got to try a new Video in an MPA chassis.

Shot at 50yds with same ammo. Target speaks for itself... Call me a "believer". Wow.

View attachment 7065929

I'm surprised your RPRR doesn't shoot better than that with the Shaw barrel. You may want to do some bedding. My Shaw barreled RPRR shoots groups like that at 100 yards after fixing the bedding. It was shooting 1.5"-2.5" groups at 100 before bedding.

Subwrx300

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2014
Cedar Springs, MI
I'm surprised your RPRR doesn't shoot better than that with the Shaw barrel. You may want to do some bedding. My Shaw barreled RPRR shoots groups like that at 100 yards after fixing the bedding. It was shooting 1.5"-2.5" groups at 100 before bedding.
My RPRF is shooting fine. .5-.6" at 50yds and 1.1" avg at 100yds. That's the average of 20+ 5 shot groups at both 50 and 100yds. Can't post pics for some reason right now (the controls above the posts are greyed out) but Monday 10 shots landed in 1.1" also, with majority hovering around .8 or so. That's plenty for a $650 gun and barrel. It's been doing that pretty regularly with SK Long Range so far. I'm plenty happy with that.

But it sounds like you've got a ringer barrel!