Vortex Viper G2 vs. Steiner P4Xi vs. Bushnell DMR2

NPV

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2019
Just bought a bolt gun from a forum vendor now I’m looking for some glass for it. I can get any of these three scopes for $800-1000. I owner a Gen 1 Viper back when I could get 60% off. But now paying full price I’m realizing there are a lot of other options.

The Steiner is lacking some magnification compared to the other two (4-16 vs 21 or 25 max) but for my uses it should be enough. It also doesn’t have as many sub tensions in the reticle so I’d probably have to dial elevation and hold wind. I will be going Mil with whatever scope I buy.

What do you guys think, I’m leaning Steiner if for no other reason it was assembled in the US but understand the other are great as well. Seems they all have similar features but Steiner may have the edge in glass and durability.

Last edited:

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
DMRII Cameraland. You're welcome. LOL.

I don't see how the SCR is lacking detail versus the others. They all have their pros and cons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravenworks

NPV

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2019
You need to think about reticles. Which reticle do you like the best out of all offered?
G3, SCR, EBR in that order I could live with any of the three but prefer a less cluttered reticle. My one concern is the G3’s thickness.

DMRII Cameraland. You're welcome. LOL.

I don't see how the SCR is lacking detail versus the others. They all have their pros and cons.
That’s where I’ll likely be buying from, edited I meant subtensions/holdovers.

What are your intended uses? Do you need low light visibility? If so, many will steer you towards the Steiner.
0-600 shooting steel, with potential for 1000 soon. Probably won’t be doing any shooting past sunset.

Zorfunk

Private
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2017
Steiner has the best glass, thinner reticle and illumination, Bushnell has slightly better turrets, zero stop, Xmas tree reticle and longest range but tunnels a bunch, it’s basically a 6-21, viper is cheaper, Xmas tree reticle and matches razors for reticle and turrets, worst glass of the 3 and my last pick from this bunch. Steiner vs non-ililuminated Bushnell DMR II id definitely go Steiner.

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
I believe that the non illuminated g3 is thinner. I could be wrong but pretty sure it’s been talked about before
The non ileum G3 is thinner in the very center for a finer aim point. I had a couple of the illuminated G3 in LRTS and DMRII, and sold them in favor of the thinner center. Its nice for small targets with no real draw backs vs the thicker center, unless you need illumination.

Reactions: NPV and Healy

dustingaunder

Untitled
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Dec 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
www.google.com
The G3 is nice. I’ve had mine to 1000 with no trouble with the thickness. I was worried I wouldn’t like how thick it was at 1k but it’s fine for me. I like how thick it is when on the lower powers. I could see my reticle and animals fine hunting this season before legal shooting light.

BytorJr

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
I know this wasn't on the list, but some folks have said the LRTS has better glass than the DMR II, maybe @supercorndogs can elaborate as he has had both.

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
Better glass is a pretty subjective thing to call. From what I have seen I wouldn't say every LRTS has better glass than every DMRII. Sometimes they are barely even similar in the same the same line. I have never come across a crappy LRHS or DMRII, but I did a couple of ERS. Maybe the variability has has got to be less. I don't see as many sample as I used to.

IMO. I like the LRTS line better. 4.5-18 has a better FOV, and doesn't give up much magnification. Less internal adjustment, lighter. No need to agonize over it, just grab one or another and run it. Around 700 for the 3-12 LRTS.

Last edited:

Ravenworks

Semper-Fi "80-84"
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2019
North Coast
Bushnell elite Tactical DMRII
Camera land, and while you're at it add a Krestal on the deal for free.
$1,049

NPV

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2019
I was interested in the LRTS I was just having a hard time finding the differences between it and the DMR2. Also where are you finding them for $700? I might be interested in a black 4-18 non illuminated.

spife7980

Luchador
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
I was interested in the LRTS I was just having a hard time finding the differences between it and the DMR2. Also where are you finding them for $700? I might be interested in a black 4-18 non illuminated.
It’s the 3-12 lrtsi/fdelrts that Doug has for 700.

Reactions: supercorndogs

adluginb

#1 dad
Belligerents
Jan 28, 2010
Oklahoma
I went with the Steiner p4xi and love it. I’ve also got both bushnells being talked about above and prefer the Steiner to both of them.

bobke

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2010
Hill Country, Texas
If you can swing another couple hundred, and are leaning towards the DMR2, the DMR2 Pro is yet another click above in glass quality. Have LRTS, LRHS, DMR, ERS, as well as a couple of Pro’s to compare to and definitely beats it’s DMR predecessors by a margin, in the same external shell. Like thinner reticle center as well. If you want lighter, 30mm, good glass, a bit thicker center, tracking and turrets/zero stop, either LRTS/LRHS are good choices. No Steiner experience and only PST 1 6-24 to compare to.

NPV

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2019
I appreciate all of the replies $800 is really my limit so even the DMR2 is pushing it a bit.

I like the LRTS but I’d prefer the 4-18x model and I’d like a larger objective lense. I think I’ve sold myself on the Steiner but I am going to call around and see if a local shop has the DMR or P4Xi so I can see them in person.

NPV

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2019
Forgot to ask what is the warranty like on the Bushnell and Steiner.

I know the Vortex is about the best out there.

stello1001

Professional Newb
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Corpus Christi TX
Forgot to ask what is the warranty like on the Bushnell and Steiner.

I know the Vortex is about the best out there.
Never had Steiner but I own Bushnell and their CS and warranty is good. At least in my experience. I had a very minor defect on my LRHS but it was cosmetic only and did not hinder performance. I posted somewhere on here about it, not really complaining at all, just pointing it out because others had the same cosmetic flaw. A Bushnell rep got in contact with me without me ever requesting anything. They told me to send it in and so I did.