Video truing a Remington 700

Sep 13, 2011
NC
Re: Video truing a Remington 700

Just found this post and was not expecting the videos to be of my rifle
. Let me tell you anyone looking for a custom bolt gun STR is F***ing awesome. Real pleasure working with them and my rifle was beyond my expectations.

Nov 6, 2011
Boise, ID

That was a great way to spend an hour. When things like this come out, some professionals get worried that all the DIY'ers will avoid their services. As much as anything, watching this demonstrates why you spend your hard earned cash with a person with skills. I can only imagine how many mistakes I would make before it became routine (if I had the equipment). No thanks.

Jul 11, 2007

Just wanted to stop by and say I found your videos while doing a google search, I watched the first one and couldn't stop, watched all 13 of them consecutively. Thank you for taking the time and effort to make the video's . I learned a lot and have a much better understanding of what it takes to build an accurate rifle. Awesome Job! Thank you again

Jan 30, 2012
CA

I don't know what is more impressive - the machining, the video work, the dialog or the overall impression of a professional at work. You've reset my expectation for the high bar of what a great tutorial should look and sounds like.

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida

Nate308 has a much better system now for those interested in a better mouse trap. I only wish I had the right size chuck, and I would buy one of his fixtures. The one you see in my videos and those that other smiths use that are very similar still do a great job as it has been the standard for many years. Thank you for your comments.

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida

Yes, that is correct. I closed my shop up about 6 months ago. I now have my equipment back in my home garage, doing work for myself, and my freinds. On occasion I will build a rifle for a local guy who is affraid of shipping his stuff out of town. I still consider myself a very serious hobbiest, and still buy the best tools I can afford, such as Nate's action truing jig. Thanks to all.

Rlbol

Master Gunnery Sergeant
Nov 5, 2010
Palm Beach,FL

STR I can not think you enough for all the time you spent to make those videos!
I was able to explain a lot of things I have read and just didn't fully grasp! I wish you the best in what ever new endevoir you begin!

Oct 27, 2009
Buckeye AZ

thank you very much for the incredible teaching you have provided. I'm starting school this summer for precision machining in preparation for eventually going to yavapai to learn gunsmithing. In no time at all your videos showed my more than I have ever understood about what it takes to bring out the best in a standard remington action. In my little pea brain I had visions of much more chip making required (bigger bites if that makes any sense). Thank you again for taking the time to give a glimpse into your work. Jeff

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida

Jeff, you will do great. Gunsmithing is a form of work that people do because they love it. Few people can say they would do what they do for the satisfaction of it only. Best of luck in school, and thank you for the kind words.

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida

Rockstar2f5, that varys from smith to smith. Labor cost for building a custom rifle like this can range from $700.00 being cheap, to $1500.00 being at the higher end. The rest is parts which you can look up. Dealers get a little better prices, but they usually have to commit to a minimum order, and prove they are in business. Hope this helps.

JGorski

Gunny Sergeant
Oct 25, 2011
Central Wis.

Thanks STR for the vids, the rifle Im having built by Chad is going to look pretty much like this rifle, cept for no muzzle break and a Manners A4 stock, Sightron scope, X-Treme shooting 17-4PH SS action, Bartlein barrel.

Mr. Suarez-

Just watched all of your truing videos in sequence, and would like to join everyone else in commending you for going to so much effort to share your knowledge.

I'm just now tooling up to build a few rifles, and I'm certain your videos have prevented me from learning a few things the hard way. I thought your production quality was very high as well.

Again, sincere thanks!

Cheers... Jim

Aug 26, 2012
Jackson, Michigan

watched these a few weeks ago was very educational, and really like your lathe, I leared on a clausing in HS, and just seen one for sale on CL for 4500 was entertaining the idea.

Jul 7, 2012

Just superb!!!! I am fascinated with gunsmithing and consequently the effect that has on the operation and accuracy of the rifle. The complete and simple explanations were awe inspiring.

Jul 21, 2012

Ozzie,

Your stuff ROCKS!

Thanks for posting your stuff, your stuff is always helpful and informative!

Feb 5, 2013
PA

Thank you for sharing your methods. It helps to provide insight into getting it square. Seeing everything dialed-up really showed the truth in your work. Congratulations! (I'd like to see those targets, but they seem to have disappeared.)

-Kirk

Jan 13, 2012
Oklahoma
www.snipershide.com
After spending the last hour watching the videos, i'm still kinda lost not even going to lie haha. Great stuff regardless. I am just not a machinist or have I ever even been around those kinda tools. Is the OP the 'smith as well? Does anyone have a rifle built by him? Again cool stuff!

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
After spending the last hour watching the videos, i'm still kinda lost not even going to lie haha. Great stuff regardless. I am just not a machinist or have I ever even been around those kinda tools. Is the OP the 'smith as well? Does anyone have a rifle built by him? Again cool stuff!
Yes, I have one of the last guns that came from his shop. Impeccable workmanship and a fine rifle that I'm proud to own.

He's not building rifles professionally anymore though, but he's still around here helping out with questions and concerns as they come up. One of the best people that I've been blessed to call a friend.

Top Bottom