Video How To: Reloading 223 & 308

G

Elfster4321 [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/media.scout.com\/media\/avatars\/4\/5\/Elfster4321.gif"}[/IMG2]

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 2.9/5 this site
1332 posts this site
reloading 223 & 308 with 6x5 live fire last episode
Tuesday at 7:23 AM [HR][/HR]
I understand everyone has their own method to their madness and this is just what I do...... and I might be a little bias to this all LOL! But if you're new I really don't think you'll find a better playlist on how to reload for a semi auto.... or even bolt action if you full length resize:

reloading start to finish

Last edited by a moderator:

MMH

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 17, 2013
Very Helpful!!! I have been reloading for a while and this is fantastic.

Don Briere

Private
Belligerents
Sep 3, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Thank-you for a well done series on reloading. They are very useful to refresh this 75 year old brain review procedures.

BR

HPIguy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2018
Western NC
As someone who is very slowly getting into reloading, I really appreciate you taking the time to make these videos.

Unknown

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2009
Pacific Northwest,USA
Regardless of how carefully I reloaded for 308, I continued having an occasional case sticking in the chamber in my gas gun until I began using a small base sizing die. The Forster small base die solved the problem, and the rifle is now very reliable.

FWIW, that gas gun has one hell of an extractor...if a case would stick in the chamber the extractor would tear a chunk out of the extractor rim..not bend it, but actually rip a chunk out of the rim. I keep a foot long piece of .25" bronze brazing rod in my range bag for just such occasions. The bronze rod would easily knock the stuck case out. You can buy bronze brazing rod at welding supply places.

Reactions: elfster1234

elfster1234

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 3, 2012
www.youtube.com
never had to use a small base die. in my own experience with stuck cases = headspace was never bumped... when I run into people having the same issue and think they need a small base die (which im not saying you didn't need one), and I ask them how much they are bumping the brass headspace from fireformed & they can't answer that questions = more times than not they don't know and is most likely their problem of not headspacing the brass correctly (about .003 to .005 from fire formed)...

Regardless of how carefully I reloaded for 308, I continued having an occasional case sticking in the chamber in my gas gun until I began using a small base sizing die. The Forster small base die solved the problem, and the rifle is now very reliable.

FWIW, that gas gun has one hell of an extractor...if a case would stick in the chamber the extractor would tear a chunk out of the extractor rim..not bend it, but actually rip a chunk out of the rim. I keep a foot long piece of .25" bronze brazing rod in my range bag for just such occasions. The bronze rod would easily knock the stuck case out. You can buy bronze brazing rod at welding supply places.

Unknown

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2009
Pacific Northwest,USA
The first things I checked was how much the shoulder was set back, and brass length. I was also measuring ammo for run out, and checking darned near any other measurements I could think of including neck thickness of the cases. The regular 308 die just wasn't sizing the lower portion of the case sufficiently. The small base die fixed my issue, even though the shoulder set back, and case length remained the same (like you said 3-5 thousandths). The same ammo through a TRG22 worked just fine, but the chamber in the TRG was a little larger.

The only variable that changed in order to get the rifle to work reliably was small base die. I fought that darned rifle for a couple of years before I tried a small base die as I had never needed a small base die for any of my 5.56 rifles.

Reactions: elfster1234

65Bowite

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2019
Thanks for doing the videos and sharing here dude. Just getting into reloading .223 and well needless to say I need to learn more. I appreciate the head space how to and DIY annealer.