value priced recs for tripod, head, mount

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Feb 15, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Don't know anyone that uses a tripod setup but considering trying it for myself. Not for comp or hunting, rather just to try it and see if it's a tool I want to utilize in the future.

Anyone have any suggestions on lower priced that might work decently to try it out?

Bushnell?

I've used RRS as a professional photographer and know their stuff is solid and would probably get that if I decided to move forward with a quality tripod setup.

Looking for something to play with and resell easily.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I got the night stalker tripod, comes with the head, and you can get it with the saddle if you want. It's a nice tripod for the money. I've never shot off a RRS, and don't want to anytime soon, as I'm sure I'll love it and want one... But for <$300, you can get a complete setup from Night Stalker that's worth having. If you decide to go RRS later, the night stalker is a great mount for a spotter too.

spife7980

Feb 10, 2017
TX
Hog saddle tripod and saddle. Or is it pig? Idk, either way that would be my first value rig if I ever get around to it.

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Feb 15, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
Will the RRS adapters work with other brand tripods or heads? I don't have any experience with a high end tripod other than the small Slik tripods that precisionrifle solutions sells.

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Feb 15, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Likely, but you should check. The threads are pretty standard as this comes from the photography world which is very established.

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Feb 15, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Another Hide member that has both the NS & PIG tripods mentioned that the NS is much lighter, but the PIG more stable at farther distances. both are equal at kneeling or prone

considering this option as I like the stability of not using a ball head, wondering if that stability in NOT using a tall ball head (much farther from the apex of the tripod) will be able to compensate for using a lower end tripod. the PIG looks to be based on the description a modded SLIK 700DX which is a great tripod for the $100 price point (I'd get the PIG myself for $38 more)

Top Bottom