Using Sketchy Proxy Servers

Tucker301

Groundskeeper
Staff member
Feb 13, 2015
Southern VA
We're seeing more and more members trying to get on through proxy servers. Many of which have been flagged for SPAM activities.

For those who don't know, there are typically just a few reasons a proxy server would be employed.

1. You are using a computer infected by virus/malware that is using a proxy server to misdirect you on the web without your knowing.
2. You are trying to get back on after being banned and you're masking your IP address so that it doesn't get flagged as matching a banned member.
3. You are knowingly using the proxy server for spamming or scamming.
3. You have knowingly chosen to use a proxy server in order to maintain a higher level of privacy on the web.

Regardless of the reason, we have little choice other than to err on the side of caution and look at the use of proxy servers as suspicious and worthy of scrutiny.
As a result, your account may not be approved if a proxy server is in use when you sign up.
Keep in mind that you are using the tools typically associated with the dishonest and that a proxy server can misdirect you and log your activities for others to use.
There are some reputable proxies, but getting on as a new member remains a low possibility through them.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/proxy-risks

r3daction

New Hide Member
Feb 20, 2018
Kansas
Noticed in a the last 24 hours or so, new members asking if the item has been sold when it even stated so in the thread. Maybe to get post count up? One I recall were the Kestrels...

Tucker301

Groundskeeper
Staff member
Feb 13, 2015
Southern VA
Guys, I get that you can't sometimes connect from foreign lands while doing what you do over there.
If you're an established member here before you go over there it's not an issue.

An alert member just reported another scam attempt this morning. It was a new member using a proxy. One I had just let through because the proxy seemed to be a more legitimate one.

They responded to a WTB ad with zero price negotiations and requested a money order as payment, also requesting a copy of the stub and MO ID via email.
They gave an address in Texas that local tax records indicate does not match the name they were using, so the address is likely just for a false sens of confidence with the buyer.
The member was savvy enough to realize that it was fishy and didn't take the bait.

With this recent experiment complete I won't be approving anymore new signups via proxy servers. Zero.

Furthermore, if you are trading via a proxy/vpn and your trade partner asks for an IP confirmation they will get the truth - that your location cannot be confirmed because you're using a masking tactic.

Sorry, but we're erring on the side of caution from now on.
You wouldn't believe the number of foreign and suspicious players knocking on these doors daily.

Top Bottom