Upgrade Savage 10 or buy new rifle

TxWelder35

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2018
Hey guys looking for advice on a set up out to 1000 yards.

I currently have a bone stock 308 Savage Model 10 Tactical with a Vortex Viper HS on top. I've been shooting at 200 yards with less than impressive results. Best group ive managed with the gun is right at 1 MOA. Average is 1.25-1.5 MOA. This is shooting the front on a sand bag, and a rear polyfill bag. Ammo is Federal GMM 175gr. I have not tried handload in the gun yet.

I am looking for sub moa accuracy. I don't need 1/4 MOA but 1/2-3/4 is preferable. Is this achievable with box ammo or am I going to be hand loading from now on?

I've read that dropping the barreled action into a chassis can help, but will that get me there or would I be better off investing into a new rifle instead? I've looked really hard at the Bergara b14 HMR.

I appreciate any advice yall can offer. Thank you!

Last edited:

OLD308

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2018
I have a factory model 10 that came with a McMillan a5. Still has the stock trigger. All I’ve done to it was cut the barrel back to 18”. Handloaded 175 SMKs and Lapua Scenars L all preform better than your experiencing. Now the interesting part. FGMM 168 goes in the same hole at 100 yards. At 200 1/2” is the largest it’s been. FGMM 175 at 200 averages 1”. So for what ever it’s worth that’s my experience.

Also, I learned while reloading for it that it really likes to have the bullets seated into the lands. I’ve head this is typical of Savage. I can’t confirm as this is my only savage. All my other rifles like a jump.

TxWelder35

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2018
I have a factory model 10 that came with a McMillan a5. Still has the stock trigger. All I’ve done to it was cut the barrel back to 18”. Handloaded 175 SMKs and Lapua Scenars L all preform better than your experiencing. Now the interesting part. FGMM 168 goes in the same hole at 100 yards. At 200 1/2” is the largest it’s been. FGMM 175 at 200 averages 1”. So for what ever it’s worth that’s my experience.

Also, I learned while reloading for it that it really likes to have the bullets seated into the lands. I’ve head this is typical of Savage. I can’t confirm as this is my only savage. All my other rifles like a jump.
I give the 168s a try and see how they do.

TxWelder35

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2018
Couldn’t hurt to try different ammo, and are you capable of sub moa groups?
Honestly I'm not sure. I've shot a TON and am A very well rounded shooter and my fundamentals are good, this rifle is the closest I've had to a precision rifle. I'm not sure if it's me or the gun making the groups that it is. I've shot out to 500 with the rifle and made hits on a 6" gong but am new to chasing group sizes.

Spblademaker

Don’t tell my wife
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 24, 2017
At least you are honest. That’s a good start. My 10 Stealth in 6.5CM averages around 3/4” with Federal, Winchester and Hornady match. But will shoot under 1/2” with Handloads. So I would see what the other match ammos do. If they all shoot around the same, try some load development. if it still isn’t what you expect, see if someone has a chassis you can try out, before you dump money into one.

GONE BAD

Private
Belligerents
May 8, 2013
Portland
Buy 2 boxes of factory ammo;
1 box of FGMM 168's
1 box of FGMM 175's
After that you can go down a thousand different rabbit holes.
Good luck 👍😁

Quest1000

Private
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2017
I have a model 10T in 6.5cm from Cabelas and dropped it into an XLR chassis, it shoots 3/8” groups at 100 using Hornady ELD 140m.

Cfshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
Hey guys looking for advice on a set up out to 1000 yards.

I currently have a bone stock 308 Savage Model 10 Tactical with a Vortex Viper HS on top. I've been shooting at 200 yards with less than impressive results. Best group ive managed with the gun is right at 1 MOA. Average is 1.25-1.5 MOA. This is shooting the front on a sand bag, and a rear polyfill bag. Ammo is Federal GMM 175gr. I have not tried handload in the gun yet.

I am looking for sub moa accuracy. I don't need 1/4 MOA but 1/2-3/4 is preferable. Is this achievable with box ammo or am I going to be hand loading from now on?

I've read that dropping the barreled action into a chassis can help, but will that get me there or would I be better off investing into a new rifle instead? I've looked really hard at the Bergara b14 HMR.

I appreciate any advice yall can offer. Thank you!
I was able to get my cheap 700 ADL to shoot under 1” with factory Ammo, it only took 8 different boxes though. May just need to try a few other loads.