Trijicon Thermals

mark5868

New Hide Member
May 10, 2018
Why doesn't Trijicon update their thermals like the Hunter, Reap or Patrol?

By update I'm referring to features such as PIP, on board recording, battery packs, maybe wifi, enable firmware updates, etc.

I know those are all features in the newer Pulsar thermals, but hey they're great features. Why hasn't Trijicon updated current units or come out with a new model?

Apr 12, 2010
1) I don’t know if the market/customers are really demanding any of that stuff.

2) Probably doesn’t make sense to add any of that to the current product. Only reason to release a new product is a new thermal core that differentiates from current core(s), which I believe there hasn’t been anything really new (feature or cost wise) to go build a new product around.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
Right now, it seems like the next "leap" for Trijicon will be restarting manufacturing and sales of the BAE OASYS product line ... so same OASYS cores ... but better lenses ... software etc. Though no data on pricing changes (if any) yet.

But I agree with mirage98 ... I don't think most Trijicon customers want/need those "features" ... I can speak for myself ... I don't. The third party battery pack sold by UNV works fine.

"Features" cost money ... Trijicon prices are high enough already :D

Hobbes442

New Hide Member
Mar 4, 2018
I have Mark 2 and bought a Radius. it made a huge difference hunting hogs at night . worked perfectly - was another game changer for judging distances. shot tree line in day vs night and was 1172 yds vs 1170 in day. made hunting even more fun- if that's possible.
pip would be nice but better clarity much more important

mark5868

New Hide Member
May 10, 2018
Plenty of third party range finders ...

WIlcox RAPTAR on L&S 3-18x T3 behind BAE OASYS UTC-x ^^

==

SCO Radius on Xtr2 3-15x scr-mil behind KAC PVS-30 ^^

I know there are third party LRF's and there's also third party recording devices and that's kinda my point here.

The problem is you got all that junk hanging on your rifle with batteries and wires, etc.

I gotta believe if Trijicon added those features to their MKIII for example it would be a considerable improvement.

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
... you got all that junk ...
One man's junk is another man's jewel ! :)

==
... I gotta believe ...
I cannot tell you what to believe ... I can just show/explain what works for me.

With the higher power and clearer resolution of the clipons ... it is possible to more accurately range smaller objects out farther away ... with these setups ... than with the integrated range finders.

They can be used with the Mk2/Mk3 dedicated scopes ... or actually any day or night scope ...

==
Some want "everything" in one box .. others like the flexibility to mix and match for the purpose of the day (night).

Nothing wrong with that dichotomy.

Apr 18, 2008
Freakshow Illinois
I know a lot of people like to record things for whatever reason. I personally don't. I don't watch other people's hog/ coyote/ whatever hunting videos on YouTube for hours. I have no need to pay for onboard recording, wifi or any other additional gadgets. I know some people would, that's fine. To each their own. I agree that it would be great for Triji to " offer " an option for all that onboard stuff, but I'd bet that they're pretty happy with the way things are.

KillerCreed

Native Texan
Oct 10, 2017
Weatherford Tx,
Plenty of third party range finders ...

WIlcox RAPTAR on L&S 3-18x T3 behind BAE OASYS UTC-x ^^

==hello wig how are u my friend it’s been awhile since we spoke on the phone about the filter lesson u gave me 😎
...I got a question for ya because I don’t know, but I know u do know 😉...6 months ago u could find and purchase a SiCo Radius, now u cannot...well I found one today and it’s virtually brand new which that makes no difference to me because I use my stuff hard...I offered 4 he said 450 I said 10-4 I’ll take it...ild be using it along side of my Reap and along side of my Flir Arma pts536 in which I’ve never used and my Spa KN203...please tell me it’s gonna work just fine and really gonna help when used with my Thermals

SCO Radius on Xtr2 3-15x scr-mil behind KAC PVS-30 ^^

Jan 5, 2014
Wabaunsee, KS
... using radios at night is another gamechanger ...
Totally agree. We've used radios in teams of 2-4 when hog hunting ... the ability to do all around viewing like 4 x 120 degree (overlapping) sectors and "whisper" to each other (on the radios) is great for detection and orienting the team towards the hogs.

In one case, the team leader talked us through crawling under a fence and setting up under a bush prone ... then he told us to shoot the closest sow on top of some bales at 40yds and prepare for the hogs to take off to our left. He counted down (on the radio, he was now 5 yds away) and bang the first sow was gone and half the pigs ran left and the other half ran directly away ... we mowed down some of those heading left, then he told us to switch fire to a large sow heading away at 200yds ... we switched fire and got her.

So, yes, radios are a game changer.

:)

Pbjunkiee

New Hide Member
Jul 23, 2018
Totally agree. We've used radios in teams of 2-4 when hog hunting ... the ability to do all around viewing like 4 x 120 degree (overlapping) ..........SNIP........pare for the hogs to take off to our left. He counted down (on the radio, he was now 5 yds away) and bang the first sow was gone and half the pigs ran left and the other half ran directly away ... we mowed down some of those heading left, then he told us to switch fire to a large sow heading away at 200yds ... we switched fire and got her.

So, yes, radios are a game changer.

:)
I need to come hunt with you......

Aug 3, 2013
Why doesn't Trijicon update their thermals like the Hunter, Reap or Patrol?

By update I'm referring to features such as PIP, on board recording, battery packs, maybe wifi, enable firmware updates, etc.

I know those are all features in the newer Pulsar thermals, but hey they're great features. Why hasn't Trijicon updated current units or come out with a new model?

It seems that they have largely coasted since taking over IR Defense. They have winning products and have been smart enough not to mess them up...not that some changes wouldn't be nice, at least some variants on the models offered.

Onboard recording is likely going to take the offering of a new model(s) in order to include the additional hardware needed.

PiP is not owned/patented by Pulsar and it would be a nice feature to have offered, I agree.

Firmware updates are a two-edged sword. They allow for changes to be made to the firmware, but if the firmware works properly, why mess with it? I can see that perspective from the manufacturer's point of view. Pulsar and ATN have both had issues with firmware and released units before they were ready for prime time, and needed to be able to make updates to the units. That has both displeased and pleased customers.

Battery packs? Covered nicely by 3rd party vendors.

Wifi? This seems to be one of the more gimmicky features that people think is really cool, but don't use very often in real life.

Top Bottom