Tip/Trick for Calibrating Kestrel Compass

Subwrx300

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2014
Cedar Springs, MI
Here's a fix to calibrate the compass if it's being picky.

Updated to firmware 1.27 and immediately afterwards, I had issues with my compass calibration not working no matter what I try: slow, fast, slow/fast turns, nada. All variations would not show any turns of the 3 required.

Steps:
  1. Go to WEATHER mode
  2. Go to DIRECTION View (up/down arrow)
  3. Enter settings (use enter arrow key)
  4. Change from MAGNETIC North to TRUE NORTH
  5. Keep VAR at 0.
  6. Calibrate compass normally using last option in this menu. (Best way is setting upright on table or other flat surface; palm of your hand works in a pinch)
  7. After successful, revert back to MAGNETIC NORTH setting.
Done!! Compass works and even wind capture orientation is working properly now. Before it would be wildly off and sometimes not change regardless of how much I moved relative to target.

ALTERNATIVE METHOD:
After thinking through the calibration process, I couldn't understand why they want us to spin the Kestrel around itself (like a top) to calibrate. So I tried holding at arm's length, upright, as if capturing wind and turned circles like taking a panoramic photo while calibrating... Worked like a charm! You do look kind of stupid for 20-30 secs but it's better than getting pissed at a Kestrel that won't calibrate. I think this method works best because it can be done nearly perfectly smooth vs start stop when calibrating in your hand or on a table.

Hope this helps anyone having compass calibration issues.

Last edited:

LawnMM

Harbinger of Sarcasm
Belligerents
Jul 5, 2009
Colorado
Interesting, my wind direction capture has been all over the place, I'll try this

LawnMM

Harbinger of Sarcasm
Belligerents
Jul 5, 2009
Colorado
@Kestrel Ballistics you heard anything about this? My last match I noticed after setting DOF and attempting to capture wind speed/direction it was often way off.

Like full value 3pm wind vs Kestrel capturing it as 1230

Subwrx300

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2014
Cedar Springs, MI
@Kestrel Ballistics you heard anything about this? My last match I noticed after setting DOF and attempting to capture wind speed/direction it was often way off.

Like full value 3pm wind vs Kestrel capturing it as 1230
I was on the phone with @Kestrel Ballistics trying to troubleshoot it when we found the solution above. The tech I was working with hadn't heard of it but was glad it worked.

I was having the same issue you describe (long with not being able to calibrate at all) and fix above worked for both issues.

Travclem

Dr. Dickweed
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Are y'all having to calibrate the compass every time you go out? I have always had to since day one, doesn't seem right to me.

Subwrx300

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2014
Cedar Springs, MI
Are y'all having to calibrate the compass every time you go out? I have always had to since day one, doesn't seem right to me.
I usually have to but haven't tried multiple back to back days since above fix. This was one aspect I was hoping to have resolved as a result of this most recent firmware update, but not sure if it addresses any of those issues.

Ill report back if mine seems to stay more properly calibrated.

At the very least, it seems this calibration method is more reliable/consistent than when using magnetic mode.

Reactions: Travclem

pbatesaz

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2018
Phoenix, AZ and Cimarron, CO
Here's a fix to calibrate the compass if it's being picky.

Updated to firmware 1.27 and immediately afterwards, I had issues with my compass calibration not working no matter what I try: slow, fast, slow/fast turns, nada. All variations would not show any turns of the 3 required.

Steps:
  1. Go to WEATHER mode
  5. Keep VAR at 0.
  6. Calibrate compass normally using last option in this menu. (Best way is setting upright on table or other flat surface; palm of your hand works in a pinch)
Done!! Compass works and even wind capture orientation is working properly now. Before it would be wildly off and sometimes not change regardless of how much I moved relative to target.

Hope this helps anyone having compass calibration issues.
Tagging. Thanks!

Subwrx300

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2014
Cedar Springs, MI
Well as an update, the calibration still didn't stick the way I'd like but the method does seem to make it easier to calibrate. So it's a half win. Lol!

kingston

▬▬ι═ Ѡ ═ι▬▬
Belligerents
Jan 26, 2010
Following...

My Kestrel 5700 4DOF requires the compass be constantly re-calibrated and even then wind direction relative to DOF is still regularly off by 180ish degrees.

I’m setting DOF using capture function, then capture wind and wind displayed is off by around 180°.

For example, if wind is coming out of 6:00 relative to DOF (wind blowing from shooter toward target). After wind capture, Kestrel displays wind at 1:00.

Sometimes, if I recalibrate the compass, it will display the wind correctly.

Edit to add: Firmware 1.28

I just followed the instructions in the OP, steps 1-6 (Copied Below). I did not revert back to Magnetic North, Step 7. Unit seems to be working now. We’ll see.

Steps:
  1. Go to WEATHER mode
  5. Keep VAR at 0.

Last edited:
Reactions: Subwrx300

kingston

▬▬ι═ Ѡ ═ι▬▬
Belligerents
Jan 26, 2010
The information in the OP’s post should be included as an addendum to the quick start guide Nielsen-Kellerman ships with Kestrel I literally thought I was going crazy. I never expected they’d ship an instrument with a flaw undermining it’s basic function. Mine shipped 7/31 and I received it on 8/2.

Cheeseburger1976

Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 2, 2012
Allentown PA
Second question which I forgot to ask the first time I just got my new CRF 2800.com last week and the display that shows the yardage is crooked
The information in the OP’s post should be included as an addendum to the quick start guide Nielsen-Kellerman ships with Kestrel I literally thought I was going crazy. I never expected they’d ship an instrument with a flaw undermining it’s basic function. Mine shipped 7/31 and I received it on 8/2.
in reference to my crooked yardage indicator? Or the different modes for calibration?

Near miss

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
Finland
I will add my story here.
I received a Kestrel 5700 in July that had tremendous problems with the compass. Factory/battery resets did not help.

It would read odd readings and after a restart it would get stuck in a certain degree band, like 330-10, 160-180 or 0-50. After recalibration it worked.. Until next day or so.

I was just about to send it in when the 1.27 firmware came up.
After updating the firmware the compass worked again. Have not experienced problems since. Just yesterday I (briefly) tested the 5700 against a Suunto compass and it was pretty much spot on.

NK could let us rerun the firmware for repair reasons. The option would not hurt.