Tikka T3 Thread

statie07

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Feb 25, 2017
MD
Ill be taking possession of a TAC A1 in 6.5 soon and was wondering if anyone has chrono data on the Berger match grade ammo 130 and 140 grain hybrids?

caporegime

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2017
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Scratched the itch with an MDT ESS Chassis.
Gotta say that they are really well-made chassis and the fit and finish is truly excellent.
I'll post up some photos when I get back home but found the whole experience of a new chassis fantastic.

I'll be selling off the chassis though as even with it being a target based rig, it was too big to carry around the farm even on short strolls with everything still on it.
Can see how amazing they would be for matches or dedicated gong bashing.
I had the LSS initially, wish I'd done the ESS to begin with. I just like it better for some reason.

Jayjay1

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
It was a standard stock. Wanted an ESS for a long time then I had to work offshore for 10 months after it arrived so I only got to see pictures...that was a touch annoying!
ANyway, I have ordered a "Ken Henderson" or HiTec stock to replace the chassis made here in NZ.
They're carbon fibre and have an integral bedding block so I ordered flush cups on the left side so I can use my biathlon sling to carry it about the farm easier.

No pictures of that yet but when it's made I'll post up.

Here are some shots from the Gong session. We only made it out to 335 yds but most groups were tight with the Norma Match 130.

The Gongs were up in the rock formation you can see in the distance.

I've included a close up of the Sterk shroud from @cannoncrossfire in case you were thinking of ordering one. They are beautifully crafted and his service is fantastic.
View attachment 7060749
View attachment 7060750
View attachment 7060754

That looks slick as f...antastic, perfect.

Did I get you right?
You now do have two stocks, the ESS and a fibre composite stock, which you are changing regularly?

Reactions: SlimySquirrel

SlimySquirrel

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks boss.

Yeah, kinda.
I have ordered the Hi-Tec carbon stock so it will be a few weeks before it's laid up and on the way.

I'll sell off the ESS but it's so comfortable to shoot so I'll miss it but I will certainly not be in need of the recoil management aspect with a suppressed 6.5 Creedmoor!
It's the one in the middle of the photo with the vertical grip
I have a wee project underway as it will need some bottom metal inletting and a load developed so I'll be sending it away whilst I'm out of the country until the end of the year.
The suppressor is super quiet and I love the caliber.

Reactions: Novak77 and 260284

manki77

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2017
Atlanta, Ga
Tikka experts - Any advice would be appreciated:

What height vortex PMR rings should I use with my Tikka CTR and Vortex razor gen 2 3-15x50. Im using the base stock that came with the gun

Muttly1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2019
Tikka CTR with factory barrel cut to 16.5
Thunderbeast cb7
130 gr hornady ELDM, RL16 shooting 2616fps.
Took it out the 1000 and back and vx5 was great but not going to be serious dialing as this will be a suppressed hunting rifle but good to know it’s capable!
How do you like the Thunderbeast?
Been pondering a can for a while, be going on a 7 Mag, for hunting ..does it soften the report, or do you still get a pretty good crack when you fire it?

awpk03s

Private
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2017
Ohio
With a little free time tonight, I made a brief attempt to remove my factory T3 barrel. Used a Mechforce vise, and a Brownells universal action wrench. Had a 3 foot cheater section of steel galvanized pipe ready to help too.

I think the Brownells wrench engages the receiver flat nicely enough, it should definitely work. I have a PVA rear entry wrench as well, but I’m afraid that will get ruined removing a factory barrel?

Anyway, I got everything tightened down and ready to go and I can’t stop the barrel from slipping/spinning in the leather straps of the barrel vise. As I ran out of time I took it all apart and will try again another time.
What should I put on the barrel or leather straps to stop it spinning? I’ve read powdered sugar, sand, oil, rosin.

What do you all recommend?

Man, I’m still struggling with this. I let kroil soak in the threads. I am using rosin powder. I have tried using the leather straps, copy paper, and just bare vise. Tried just rosin powder, tried oil and rosin, tried rosin and a little spray adhesive. I heated the action joint too with heat gun.
No matter which of these combinations I tried, the damn barrel still spins in the vise. Shredded the leather straps, and the paper pieces too. I feel like I could break it loose with the cheater bar if it would just stop spinning.
Now I need to get a toothbrush and get all the gunk built up off of the barrel and the vise pieces.

Any other tips or ideas for getting the barrel to stay stuck in the vise and not spin?

Last edited:

Americancheese

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2019
Man, I’m still struggling with this. I let kroil soak in the threads. I am using rosin powder. I have tried using the leather straps, copy paper, and just bare vise. Tried just rosin powder, tried oil and rosin, tried rosin and a little spray adhesive. I heated the action joint too with heat gun.
No matter which of these combinations I tried, the damn barrel still spins in the vise. I feel like I could break it loose with the cheater bar if it would just stop spinning.
Now I need to get a toothbrush and get all the gunk built up off of the barrel and the vise pieces.

Any other tips or ideas for getting the barrel to stay stuck in the vise and not spin?

What are you doing? Barrel swap?

awpk03s

Private
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2017
Ohio
With everything tightened down, I’m trying to turn the wrench by hand, with the cheater bar, and the barrel spins. Should I be whacking the wrench handle with a hammer instead of just pushing? Sorry for the dumb questions, just getting a little stumped.

jwhjwh54

Private
Belligerents
Jun 13, 2017
Nashville, TN
How do you like the Thunderbeast?
Been pondering a can for a while, be going on a 7 Mag, for hunting ..does it soften the report, or do you still get a pretty good crack when you fire it?
I like it and as soon as I can find a ultra 7 direct thread I’m gonna order one.

My 11.5” 6.8 SBR it still has a crack but I’ll shoot the 6.5 on Friday and video tape. I’ve never shot the 6.5 without hearing protection but when I have shot my other bolt guns suppressed it’s significantly quieter. I’m probably going to hunt exclusively with a suppressor and ear pro from now on that I’ve got tinnitus. I have noticed animals don’t scatter as far when I hunt suppressed

bna5017

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2018
With everything tightened down, I’m trying to turn the wrench by hand, with the cheater bar, and the barrel spins. Should I be whacking the wrench handle with a hammer instead of just pushing? Sorry for the dumb questions, just getting a little stumped.
I gave up trying to retain the factory finish on mine. I clamped my aluminum vise Jaws together and drilled them on the split line with a 3/4" drill bit. It fit the barrel snug and it came off pretty easily. There are 2 marks on the barrel from the Jaws, but I figure if I ever decide to use it or sell it it's just gonna have to be cerakoted or reblued.

Americancheese

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2019
I gave up trying to retain the factory finish on mine. I clamped my aluminum vise Jaws together and drilled them on the split line with a 3/4" drill bit. It fit the barrel snug and it came off pretty easily. There are 2 marks on the barrel from the Jaws, but I figure if I ever decide to use it or sell it it's just gonna have to be cerakoted or reblued.
Can’t you just send in your action to Tikka and have them do the swap for you?

Travclem

Dr. Dickweed
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2013
Lubbock, TX
My gunsmith told me he ends up having to make a relief cut in the barrel in front of the action to get most factory Tikka barrels off.

Travclem

Dr. Dickweed
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Question for those KRG owners...why do you have to permanently remove the spring clip (see picture) when installing your action to a the KRG chassis?
I mean, it's not permanently removed, it's held on by a screw... But yes it needs to be removed. It is what holds tension on the factory magazines that release from the front, AICS mags release from the back.

Americancheese

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2019
I mean, it's not permanently removed, it's held on by a screw... But yes it needs to be removed. It is what holds tension on the factory magazines that release from the front, AICS mags release from the back.

Got it..so just remove clip, reinstall screw. What about the barrel nut housing screws? Is there a place to reinstall those on the KRG xray?

Attachments

Muttly1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2019
I like it and as soon as I can find a ultra 7 direct thread I’m gonna order one.

My 11.5” 6.8 SBR it still has a crack but I’ll shoot the 6.5 on Friday and video tape. I’ve never shot the 6.5 without hearing protection but when I have shot my other bolt guns suppressed it’s significantly quieter. I’m probably going to hunt exclusively with a suppressor and ear pro from now on that I’ve got tinnitus. I have noticed animals don’t scatter as far when I hunt suppressed
Thanks!
Yeah, about five years ago, went from the occasional dial tone to full time ringing. Drove me batty for the first month or two, little nervous about making it worse since then.

Stooxie

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2018
My gunsmith told me he ends up having to make a relief cut in the barrel in front of the action to get most factory Tikka barrels off.
I feel like this is an old wive's tale by now, this needing a relief cut business. If a consumer can remove a Tikka barrel with some effort I would expect a gunsmith to have no issues. Sadly it seems many gunsmiths aren't so smart, or only know how to work on Remingtons.

-Stooxie

Last edited:

Travclem

Dr. Dickweed
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2013
Lubbock, TX
I feel like this is an old wive's tale by now, this needing a relief cut business. If a consumer can remove a Tikka barrel with some effort I would expect a gunsmith to have no issues. Sadly it seems many gunsmiths aren't so smart, or only know bow to work on Remingtons.

-Stooxie
He's a reputable smith and very widely known. The rifles that he has built for me are absolute hammers. He did in fact cut the barrel off of the Tikka he recently did for me. I would much rather have him make a relief cut in the old barrel than apply more force than he's comfortable with and twist my action.

Stooxie

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2018
He's a reputable smith and very widely known. The rifles that he has built for me are absolute hammers. He did in fact cut the barrel off of the Tikka he recently did for me. I would much rather have him make a relief cut in the old barrel than apply more force than he's comfortable with and twist my action.
That's cool, different strokes for different folks. My personal feeling is that a smith that has to resort to cutting a relief simply doesn't have the right tools/tooling for a Tikka.

-Stooxie

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 15, 2017
Kansas
What chassis systems are direct drop in for the Tikka T3X Tac A1? I’m looking at swapping out to a fixed stock over the folding oem T3X.
German Gun Stock makes drop in stocks for the Tikka. They have 3 models, all with aluminum inserts that do not need bedded, but you will need bottom metal for them. Your TAC A1 has it built in. I have a CTR in their Predator and a Varmint in the Ranger. My son has a Raptor that will be here today. I have the factory CTR bottom metal on my Predator and Mountain Tactical CTR inlet for AICS mags on my Varmint.

Attachments

Reactions: marauderx33

Americancheese

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2019
I picked up an X-Ray on here used. Was going to get the Bravo, but this was a better deal. I have added a spigot to it since these pictures were taken.

Nice! What Tikka barreled action did you use in the Xray? I’m still a little confused on how the Tac A1 action will work in the xray, because it looks different than the normal T3X? Other than the front two barrel nut bolts that I posted a picture of above, is the Tac A1 a direct drop in for the Xray chasis? What about how the scope rail lines up on top?

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 15, 2017
Kansas
Nice! What Tikka barreled action did you use in the Xray? I’m still a little confused on how the Tac A1 action will work in the xray, because it looks different than the normal T3X? Other than the front two barrel nut bolts that I posted a picture of above, is the Tac A1 a direct drop in for the Xray chasis? What about how the scope rail lines up on top?
I used a T3 action with a 26" light varmint Bartlein. It is a match rifle I built for PRS matches. It started as a 270 T3 Lite. I used the action and the trigger. All Tikka T3 and T3x actions are the same footprint. The TAC A1 is the same as a CTR.

LANCER

Private
Belligerents
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, TX
I finally received my X-ray, really liking it.
But Whiskey is the love connection, that is just amazing rig.
Tikka T3X CTR 308win.
Custom cerakoted.
Ase Utra SL5i supp, Coletac cover+2ammo holder.
Spuhr mount, Kahles K624i scope, Vortex defender caps, Mkmachining level and lever, Sterk swept bolthandle:love:, Atlasworx boltshroud, MDT AICS magazines, these are great by the way, Atlas prs bipod, Riflesticks spiked feets, these are killers.
View attachment 7043846
What color is that Cerakote? Is it the AI Brown or Federal Standard Field Drab? Nice rig.

Americancheese

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2019
What color is that Cerakote? Is it the AI Brown or Federal Standard Field Drab? Nice rig.
From KRG (regarding Tac A1 fitment into Xray)

It will fit just fine, but you will have to remove the current chassis components, including the barrel ring that holds the forend. Our chassis come with the proper action screws (x2) and that is all you will need, to attach the receiver. The existing rail will work but it is really tall, you might want to look at getting one that is more of a standard height.

Thank you,

-KRG

phlegethon

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
I saw somewhere someone had a Tikka Bolt shroud that was square, had an AI look to it. Has anyone seen anything like that or know where to get one like that? Might look cool paired with a Sterk AI bolt handle
Are you talking about the Sterk shroud from the previous page, here (4548):

Reactions: viking78

ArmchairOperator

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2019
Huntsville, Alabama
No,
Are you talking about the Sterk shroud from the previous page, here (4548):

View attachment 7061818
No, I found a post somewhere that someone had a bolt shroud for a T3 that looks like the shroud on this AI bolt, like this...7061827

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
Belligerents
Mar 8, 2017
Taylorsville Utah

ArmchairOperator

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2019
Huntsville, Alabama
Ive got a few people interested but they have to be 3d printed (can't be machined), so theres a fair bit of hand finishing. Got a heap of other products to make at the moment but might do some more metal 3d printing and see what people think.
Why can’t it be machined? I run a machine shop, I might be able to figure that one out... PM me if you’re interested, maybe I can help.

Last edited:
Reactions: cannoncrossfire

cannoncrossfire

Private
Belligerents
Nov 18, 2011
Australia
Why can’t it be machined? I run a machine shop, I might be able to figure that one out... PM me if you’re interested, maybe I can help.
I work at a machine shop too and it's maybe possible with 5 axis and a tiny ballnose haha. The issue is the round front changing to a square back - but the transition is on an angle due to the shape of the back of the tikka action. It might look simple but to make it is another story.

marauderx33

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
Australia
Just completed my Tikka T3 223 build:

* Started life as a Tikka T3 Lite in 204 Ruger
* Bartlein 0.224" 1:7.5 twist, heavy palma, SS barrel, 23" long
* Action & barrel cerakoted in graphite black
* KRG Whiskey 3 chassis gen 6, in Sako green
* MDT AICS polymer 223 magazines (10 round)
* Spuhr ST-4701 mount
* Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C MRAD scope
* Sterk swept bolt handle
* BT46-LW17 PSR Atlas bipod

Big thanks to this forum for the info & advice I got to help me spec up this build.

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 15, 2017
Kansas
Just completed my Tikka T3 223 build:

* Started life as a Tikka T3 Lite in 204 Ruger
* Bartlein 0.224" 1:7.5 twist, heavy palma, SS barrel, 23" long
* Action & barrel cerakoted in graphite black
* KRG Whiskey 3 chassis gen 6, in Sako green
* MDT AICS polymer 223 magazines (10 round)
* Spuhr ST-4701 mount
* Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C MRAD scope
* Sterk swept bolt handle
* BT46-LW17 PSR Atlas bipod

Big thanks to this forum for the info & advice I got to help me spec up this build.
How heavy of bullets can the 7.5" twist barrel handle?