Tikka T3 Thread

ianb1116

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2018
easy peasy….search youtube (y)
I agree. I installed my Sterk swept ball in a matter of minutes using the Tikka-supplied bolt shroud removal tool.

As an aside, as trivial of an upgrade as it seems, it really does add a lot to the feel and function of the bolt throw.

Edit to add question: Does anyone know what material Tikka bolts are? I've got a Tac A1 in 6.5CM and I'm toying with the idea of fluting the bolt. If its stainless, I'll just polish it up after and leave it raw. If it's carbon, I'll have it coated.

mildot326

Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 11, 2004
I agree. I installed my Sterk swept ball in a matter of minutes using the Tikka-supplied bolt shroud removal tool.

As an aside, as trivial of an upgrade as it seems, it really does add a lot to the feel and function of the bolt throw.

Edit to add question: Does anyone know what material Tikka bolts are? I've got a Tac A1 in 6.5CM and I'm toying with the idea of fluting the bolt. If its stainless, I'll just polish it up after and leave it raw. If it's carbon, I'll have it coated.
Thanks, now I know what that "thing" is (bolt shroud removal tool) that came in the package, LOL, ;)
Looks pretty easy BTW, just wondering how the "fit" was of the new Sterk handle? did the original come off "easy" and the Sterk install the same way? Cheers

ianb1116

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2018
Thanks, now I know what that "thing" is (bolt shroud removal tool) that came in the package, LOL, ;)
Looks pretty easy BTW, just wondering how the "fit" was of the new Sterk handle? did the original come off "easy" and the Sterk install the same way? Cheers
The original plopped out with a gentle tap once tension was removed. The Sterk handle I chose was coated and thus had a little extra material on the mating tenon. It still went in under hand pressure but was a little more snug than the OEM. All in all, pretty painless process as far as things go.

tevan0707

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 27, 2014
Got to participate in the Hornady PRC match over the weekend. I didn't do anywhere close to where I normally do but I still had a blast. Until I got home and received the news that J Allen had to close their doors...... I'm thankful to have a few of their chassis's, if only others could continue to enjoy their products.
Hornady (1).jpg

patriotnation

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2018
Massachusetts
Until I got home and received the news that J Allen had to close their doors...... I'm thankful to have a few of their chassis's, if only others could continue to enjoy their products.

??? seriously? WTF if that is so, that really sucks. I was hoping to get one soon, been working my butt off to save up for one. that is a shock

tevan0707

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 27, 2014
??? seriously? WTF if that is so, that really sucks. I was hoping to get one soon, been working my butt off to save up for one. that is a shock

Unfortunately it is true.. They announced it 2 days ago that they are shutting their doors.

thatguyouknow

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2019
What's the recommended commercial ammo for a 6.5 creed 24" CTR factory barrel, and does anyone happen to have a dope chart based off of that ammo's performance out of the 24" CTR setup, preferably in mils?

viking78

Private
Belligerents
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
What's the recommended commercial ammo for a 6.5 creed 24" CTR factory barrel, and does anyone happen to have a dope chart based off of that ammo's performance out of the 24" CTR setup, preferably in mils?
Sako TRG precision line ammo is a superd accurate ammo.
TAC A1 has a same barrel than it is in CTR.
http://instagr.am/p/BzFv04WgNNi/
And if you want to reload, Lapua brass for 6.5cm and 123gr Scenar, dope gear that combo.
I did shoot 5mm 5-shot groups with that load, i used Vihtavuori powder.
http://instagr.am/p/BzVP_b7gYjj/

thatguyouknow

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2019
Sako TRG precision line ammo is a superd accurate ammo.
TAC A1 has a same barrel than it is in CTR.
http://instagr.am/p/BzFv04WgNNi/
And if you want to reload, Lapua brass for 6.5cm and 123gr Scenar, dope gear that combo.
I did shoot 5mm 5-shot groups with that load, i used Vihtavuori powder.
http://instagr.am/p/BzVP_b7gYjj/
I wont be reloading for a while, what bullet weight and specific Sako TRG ammo did you find works best with the CTR barrel and twist rate? Any velocity or trajectory data would be great as well.

Reactions: viking78

silhouette

Grey man
Belligerents
Mar 29, 2012
My son and I shot a Jim See format team match at Spearpoint Ranch on Saturday. One rifle had to be a 223 and they had seperate bolt/AR classes, 5 targets/stage, and all targets had to be hit twice to clear the stage. You start the stopwatch before you shoot and stop it when finished. 15 second penalty per target not cleared.

Went up Friday to confirm dope before the match and spend the night in their lodge. The farthest targerts were going to be 995, so we made use of their 300-1400 yard range and confirmed to 1000. I went on out to 1400 with my Tikka 22BR, so my son decided to take a shot at the 1400 with the Tikka Varmint 223. I should have had the video going, because he dialed 15 mils and hit it on the first shot. I was amazed what the 75gr ELDM did at that distance.

We took the penalty on one stage and cleared all the rest. It was a great time except for the 97 degree heat and the fact that I didn't contribute near as much as my son did. We ended up 1st in bolt and 5th overall, and it was because he was on fire with the 223.

My son shot the best he has ever shot at any match and he has decided the German Gun Stock Raptor is the way to go. There was a rock stage that he couldn't fit any of our bags in, so he taped my Gittings Equalizer Skid pad on the forend and ran with it.

Time to do a tall target test on my Ares ETR and see why I was up to .5 mil high on some stages and dead on for others.
Does the 22br feed reliably in your Tikka?
Is it the factory center stack mag or an AI type?
I've been thinking of screwing a 6br barrel on one but I'm a bit hesitant since I had issues with a 20br in a Rem 700

silhouette

Grey man
Belligerents
Mar 29, 2012
My son and I shot a Jim See format team match at Spearpoint Ranch on Saturday. One rifle had to be a 223 and they had seperate bolt/AR classes, 5 targets/stage, and all targets had to be hit twice to clear the stage. You start the stopwatch before you shoot and stop it when finished. 15 second penalty per target not cleared.

Went up Friday to confirm dope before the match and spend the night in their lodge. The farthest targerts were going to be 995, so we made use of their 300-1400 yard range and confirmed to 1000. I went on out to 1400 with my Tikka 22BR, so my son decided to take a shot at the 1400 with the Tikka Varmint 223. I should have had the video going, because he dialed 15 mils and hit it on the first shot. I was amazed what the 75gr ELDM did at that distance.

We took the penalty on one stage and cleared all the rest. It was a great time except for the 97 degree heat and the fact that I didn't contribute near as much as my son did. We ended up 1st in bolt and 5th overall, and it was because he was on fire with the 223.

My son shot the best he has ever shot at any match and he has decided the German Gun Stock Raptor is the way to go. There was a rock stage that he couldn't fit any of our bags in, so he taped my Gittings Equalizer Skid pad on the forend and ran with it.

Time to do a tall target test on my Ares ETR and see why I was up to .5 mil high on some stages and dead on for others.
I've been thinking of screwing a 6br barrel on one but I'm a bit hesitant since I had issues with a 20br in a Rem 700

Lunchbox27

Professional whisky drinker
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2017
MD
I wont be reloading for a while, what bullet weight and specific Sako TRG ammo did you find works best with the CTR barrel and twist rate? Any velocity or trajectory data would be great as well.
140 american gunner and 140 eld match shot great in mine.

Download hornady 4dof app. Its free. Best way to get the drop data you want.

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 15, 2017
Kansas
It feeds great. I am using the MDT 12 round AICS mags with modified Primal Rights mag kits. I tried a friends new MDT BR mag that comes set up for the BR/Dasher rounds, but it needs some mods to work for me. My mags feed in his Impact, but he needs to mod the MDT BR mag so it works for him too.

Last edited:
Reactions: silhouette

thatguyouknow

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2019
Does anyone have a lead on a retailer in the US that has the Sterk Swept Ball Handle in stock? I want to see if anyone local has it before I pay to have it shipped all the way from Australia.

littlepod

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 16, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Does anyone have a lead on a retailer in the US that has the Sterk Swept Ball Handle in stock? I want to see if anyone local has it before I pay to have it shipped all the way from Australia.
I wasn't able to find a local retailer, but the cost from AUS + Shipping with the AUD to USD conversion rate is cheaper than the cost in USD to buy it.

I think it's 120 AUD to buy / ship it. So that's like $85 US.

ianb1116

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2018
I wasn't able to find a local retailer, but the cost from AUS + Shipping with the AUD to USD conversion rate is cheaper than the cost in USD to buy it.

Yup. I ordered one in January and it was exactly 124 AUD for me from Australia to Delaware. Came out to $87 and change. 100 AUD for the handle, 24 to ship.

I just ordered from John via email. He’s a great guy and makes a seriously quality product.

thatguyouknow

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2019
Yup. I ordered one in January and it was exactly 124 AUD for me from Australia to Delaware. Came out to $87 and change. 100 AUD for the handle, 24 to ship.

I just ordered from John via email. He’s a great guy and makes a seriously quality product.

Yeah you guys were right, I found a site called delta tactical (https://www.deltatactical.com.au/sterk---tikka-swept-back-ball-handle-p989) that had them in stock and even with the "express shipping" from aussieland it only cost 85 after the currency conversion. That's cheaper than what used ones are going for on here.

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
Belligerents
Mar 8, 2017
Kaysville Utah
Reactions: cannoncrossfire

thatguyouknow

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2019
Just so you know @cannoncrossfire that has been liking these posts is Sterk. His avatar picture says sterk as well.
Neat, @cannoncrossfire you make some nice parts I cant wait till mine arrives.

The rifle is coming along really well otherwise. the scope arrives tomorrow and I'll be taking it out to about 750 yds this weekend to see how it does.

Last edited:

littlepod

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 16, 2012
Kirkland, WA
My tracking history right now has it:

Dropped off at AUS mail on Friay the 12th.
Departed Aus Monday the 15th.
Landed in Los Angeles Tuesday the 16th.

Still stuck in customs.

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 15, 2017
Kansas
I have a bolt handle and 2 shrouds sitting in customs in Chicago since the 14th. I paid $100 for one locally, they are cheaper from Sterk direct.

viking78

Private
Belligerents
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
That Sako TRG precision line ammo is loaded with Lapua 136gr L-Scenar.
I did load my ammo with 123gr Scenar.
Love that accuracy:cool:.

mildot326

Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 11, 2004
Just out of curiosity, is the Sterk bolt shroud tool the same as the factory Tikka one? or is the Sterk more robust and better designed?

littlepod

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 16, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Anyone have a CTR / Tac A1 in .308? Is there a best bang for the buck ammo for it? I know a few people running 6.5cm, has gotten really good results with American Gunner 6.5cm bulk ammo (1/2 moa) and that is like 75 cents a round. FGMM/Prime is just so pricey.

Reactions: Btrain

cannoncrossfire

I am Sterk
Belligerents
Nov 18, 2011
Australia
Just out of curiosity, is the Sterk bolt shroud tool the same as the factory Tikka one? or is the Sterk more robust and better designed?
Both are very similar, the original Tikka shroud tool is injection molded plastic, the Sterk shroud tool is Water jet cut from solid uPVC sheet plastic. I can't imagine either breaking for any reason. People stopped receiving the tool with their rifle from factory and I had requests about making them. The T1x shroud does not fit as it is different.

tevan0707

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 27, 2014
There are 4 items you will always find on my Tikka rifles. Sterk bolt handle and shroud, I now have them on all 3 of my rifles! And Mountain Tactical trigger springs (aside from 1 Timney trigger) and their scope rails. After trying multiple other manufacturers, these are my go too parts!

IMG_20190719_182646_074.jpg

Brian o 23

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2018
15 round break-in on my Tikka t3x. 308.Everything went well the left target top right is 6 shots and 2 fliers. With hunting loads I reloaded for the original T3X before rebarreling.
I jazzed 😁

Attachments

Edsel

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Jun 9, 2013
I just disassembled my Tikkas and brought the trigger weights down to 600 grams with some springs I got off eBay...

In the process of doing so - it felt like the action screws were only on finger - tight!

Surprising, since they all shot so well to 100 meters...

wade2big

Knowing just enough to be dangerous
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2017
El Campo, TX
When did Tikka release the 24” .308 CTR? A member sold a stainless model in the MP. I looked them up on the Tikka USA website and they are there as well.

Lunchbox27

Professional whisky drinker
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2017
MD
Really wanted a Tripod, but just didn’t have cabbage to drop on a RRS. This isn’t used for comps, just plinking. Seems well put together for the price. This is the Night Stalkers tripod with Kopfjager Reaper grip.

Ill put it to the test next weekend.

CD0311

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 12, 2007
Arizona
KRG and MPA. I love my MPA. I sold my Tac A1 chassis. I think it looks badass. Actual ability to use it sucks. The MPA was a huge upgrade and I put a KRG on my T1x. It was an awesome upgrade as well. Love both. If I had to have one MPA
What did you not like about the TacA1 chassis? It’s fully adjustable isn’t it?

CD0311

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 12, 2007
Arizona
Will shoot this for the first time tomorrow but this has been awhile in the making...Manners PRS-TK1, left hand (first one in Australia), factory trigger with Yo Dave spring, Mullerworks medium palma 1:7.75 twist finished at 24" and cerakoted, Vortex AMG with MOA reticle in a Spuhr 3001 mount sitting on a Ken Farrel 30moa rail. Went with an Arca Swiss rail and picked up one of the new Atlas CAL bipods. She's chambered in 6XC and I've got a 419 Hellfire brake to go next week. Load development starts tomorrow with 105gr Lapua Scenar L, RDFs and Berger VLDs all getting a run in front of H4350. Oh yes, the action has also been cerakoted and the bolt microslicked. It has a Sterk titanium pineapple bolt handle and titanium shroud.

View attachment 7091578
What dbm is this?

cannoncrossfire

I am Sterk
Belligerents
Nov 18, 2011
Australia
Finally got the sterk swept bolt knob and TRG shroud in. Extremely nice cycling the Tikka is much easier now. I do wish it stuck out a bit more, i find it more flush to the chassis than my Tempest knob. Still the quality is extremely good on both.
View attachment 7116357
Looks good, glad it arrived. It would stick out more if the bolt lift was less on the tikka, if it was any longer it would be touching your trigger finger when in the closed/down position due to the bolt lift angles at play. I've had people tell me it's a hair too long and a hair too short haha.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
Looks good, glad it arrived. It would stick out more if the bolt lift was less on the tikka, if it was any longer it would be touching your trigger finger when in the closed/down position due to the bolt lift angles at play. I've had people tell me it's a hair too long and a hair too short haha.
I figured it was probably something to do with functionality. Regardless it's a fine piece of work John, cycling is 10x better now and that shroud gives the tikka a great look.

Reactions: cannoncrossfire