Tikka T3 Thread

FCAnative

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2019
I'm thinking more-than-just-casually about getting a Tac A1 in 223. Most of my shooting is 400 yards or less. I have an almost 2 year old Tac A1 in 6.5C and like it a lot, but it's kind of overkill for the majority of my shooting. I'll keep it, love the gun and my usage could change (plus I'm not really one to sell guns very often), but I like the idea of an inexpensive to shoot precision rifle. I'm not into competition (other than with myself or a friend) at this point, but might like to take a GunSite course at some future time.

Sixgunfab

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2018
First range day out, sighting everything in and after about 30 rounds, started getting the dreaded failure to feed from the unseated magazine issue. I performed the notch mod and the mags, and they seat more firmly now. One of the better groups with crappy Federal.

What are you guys using for factory .308 loads that are grouping well?
Can you please explain the “notch mod” you did on your mag?
I put an Atlasworx bottom metal on one of my Tikkas so I could run the AICS/ accuratemags and it pops after every shot and drops down just enough that I have to click it back up into place to load the next round.
Any input in solving this issue is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Reactions: viking78 and JakeM

littlepod

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 16, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Did a 6x5 with the Tikka T3X CTR .308. First time shooting prone. Need to learn some better fundamentals, can see way too much movement as I'm pulling the trigger.

Tikka T3X CTR .308 20" barrel in KRG Bravo
Timney Trigger w/ .5 lb 1st stage, 0.5 2nd stage (1lb total)
100 yards
PPU 168gr Match

Bipod / Prone

Reactions: viking78

dino67

Private
Belligerents
May 30, 2010
Australia
Sixgunfab,

I believe they're talking about CTR mags and the 'Notch Mod', you're running AICS mags right?

Problem will be with mag catch and how it interfaces with the external mag catch tab on your mags.

ruebarb

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2018
Mendon, MA
I am shooting 1/2” groups now...i want sub 1/2 moa at any distance....doesn’t matter 100-200. 1/2 moa is 1/2 moa, regardless of distance,
I have only been able to achieve 1/2 MOA with my tikka in 6.5 for consistency in 5 shot groups. My MPA in 6.5 will do 1/4 MOA 5 shot groups consistently.

Sixgunfab

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2018
Sixgunfab,

I believe they're talking about CTR mags and the 'Notch Mod', you're running AICS mags right?

Problem will be with mag catch and how it interfaces with the external mag catch tab on your mags.
I’m running AICS mags yes. I wasn’t sure what type of mag had some type of a notch mod that can be done. Just looking to solve the issue of my mag dropping out after each shot.

Oldbugr

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2018
553SBR- Does that B & Carlson stock have a metal recoil lug? or aluminum? I know it has an aluminum bedding block but was wondering about the lug.

Lunchbox27

Professional whisky drinker
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2017
MD
I am shooting 1/2” groups now...i want sub 1/2 moa at any distance....doesn’t matter 100-200. 1/2 moa is 1/2 moa, regardless of distance,
Take it from someone who chased the sub half moa fever for a long time.... just shoot the rifle. If you have a 1/2 moa factory rifle, running factory match ammo, you have a solid rifle.

Shooting 1/2 moa at 100-200 yards is easier than shooting 1/2 moa at 600-1000. Wind, mirage, etc will all come in to play.

Learn to read the wind. When you get that down and still want better, start loading your own.

viking78

Private
Belligerents
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
Tikka T3X TAC A1 the game changer.

Deam that this 6.5creedmoor is amazing rig.
I bough Lapua 6.5creedmoor brass and plugged it with Lapua 123gr and Vihtavuori N150 powder.
100-meter test shots were 5-9mm with 5 shots.
I tested also the same ammo in 300-meters.
3-shot group was 0,168 MOA.
14,72mm, i am very happy with this result with the factory rifle:).

Last edited:

JGR1953

What the fuck....over
Belligerents
Nov 24, 2017
This must be a new thing then, on the 3 B&C stocks I’ve had for tikkas the recoil lug was part of the aluminum block
Same here the two I have are part of the block and they say so on the website....

TexLuke

Belligerents
Feb 28, 2017
Texas
I stand corrected. I went back and looked at pic's. That is a raised lug, right?
Yes, it’s part of the bedding block.

I’ve had one of these stocks that fit well as I received it and a couple that didn’t. Bedding straightened one out, it shot very well after. I think I returned the other one.

That tan with black web looks good with your rifle

Stooxie

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2018
I just cannot seem to get below 1/2” groups out of my Tac A1 .308 using factory loads. But I was reminded by a buddy whom I respect, that 1/2” groups from a mass produced rifle using factory ammo is excellent, and unless I reload, this is probably as good as it gets
Your friend is correct. People spend a LOT of time and money to get a half MOA rifle.

-Stooxie

553SBR

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2019
North Texas
Yes, it’s part of the bedding block.

I’ve had one of these stocks that fit well as I received it and a couple that didn’t. Bedding straightened one out, it shot very well after. I think I returned the other one.

That tan with black web looks good with your rifle
Thanks

Palmetto-Pride

Steel Killer
Belligerents
May 27, 2014
32.752325 -79.867804
Your friend is correct. People spend a LOT of time and money to get a half MOA rifle.

-Stooxie
I see guys at the range all the time chasing that less than 1/2 moa group on paper at 100yds they are constantly tweaking this and that that and this and they say "once I get it where I want it at 100yds I am going to start shooting the steel targets out to 1000yds" Meanwhile I am ringing steel out to 1000yds with my 1 moa rifle and having fun those guys never look like they are having any fun they seem frustrated all the time........oh well to each his own.....LOL

ruebarb

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2018
Mendon, MA
I see guys at the range all the time chasing that less than 1/2 moa group on paper at 100yds they are constantly tweaking this and that that and this and they say "once I get it where I want it at 100yds I am going to start shooting the steel targets out to 1000yds" Meanwhile I am ringing steel out to 1000yds with my 1 moa rifle and having fun those guys never look like they are having any fun they seem frustrated all the time........oh well to each his own.....LOL
That is the complete truth, so many times I need to reminder myself. Did I hit what I am aiming at, if so, the group size really didn't matter.

Reactions: Stooxie

HolyCity73

Littlefoot
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
South Carolina
This is from a Tikka T3 Carbon Six barreled 6.5PRC.
That’s factory ELDX ammo. 100 yards in less than 10 seconds.
It’s a hunting rifle. Although the groups it shoots are quite impressive, the first shot is all I care about.
Groups only matter at the range or competition. Fundamentals are what matter most.
I have several rifles capable of sub .5 groups. It’s catharsis for me to shoot them and it’s cheaper than a divorce.
Keep chasing those tiny groups if it makes you happy.
Just my opinion...

Attachments

littlepod

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 16, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I only have a 100/200 yard range that I can access, so there's not much else to do but practice fundamentals and positional shooting. If I have a 1/2 moa rifle and I'm only shooting 1 moa @ 100 yards, then there's room for improvement and not much else to do... I would love to be ringing steel @ 1000 yards, heck even 600 yards, but the range that can do that has a 6 year wait list... the public lands to shoot 1000 yards at are 3 hrs away, and closed half the time due to wildfire alerts.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
It’s a hunting rifle. Although the groups it shoots are quite impressive, the first shot is all I care about.
Groups only matter at the range or competition. Fundamentals are what matter most.
I have several rifles capable of sub .5 groups. It’s catharsis for me to shoot them and it’s cheaper than a divorce.
Just my opinion...
.....he says as he posts a picture of a sub half moa group....

Palmetto-Pride

Steel Killer
Belligerents
May 27, 2014
32.752325 -79.867804
I was shooting with this guy at my 600yd range he was one of those chasing his tail 1/4 MOA shooters and he was telling me about all the brass voodoo he does reloading, but then he couldn’t hardly hit a 10” steel plate at 600yds. I can’t lie I had a shit eating grin on my face after that....lol

Reactions: HolyCity73

thatguyouknow

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2019
Just Picked up a Tikka T3X CTR on sale a few weeks ago. Decided to do a custom paint job on it. What would ya'll recommend for a scope to replace the one I happen to have sitting on it? I can spend up to $2k on new glass.

T3X CTR 24" in 6.5 Creed
NF 20MOA rail
Dead Air Break
Manners T5A Stock
Atlas PSR Bipod
CDI Bottom Metal and AICS mag

HolyCity73

Littlefoot
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
South Carolina
Just Picked up a Tikka T3X CTR on sale a few weeks ago. Decided to do a custom paint job on it. What would ya'll recommend for a scope to replace the one I happen to have sitting on it? I can spend up to $2k on new glass.

T3X CTR 24" in 6.5 Creed
NF 20MOA rail
Dead Air Break
Manners T5A Stock
Atlas PSR Bipod
CDI Bottom Metal and AICS mag

View attachment 7110198
I’d wait until the new NF scopes are out and plentiful. The hide should be flooded with cheaper used offerings. Always a good choice!

Anzac

Private
Belligerents
Dec 6, 2010
TX
That Proof product number (100929) gives a shank/ Knox form of 1.20"OD ( Ah La Remington). The standard Tikka barrel Shank is 1.13" OD thus your barrel OD at the receiver will be a little over dimension. It will still fit once threaded however the aesthetics may be called questionable by some. I've seen some Tikka receivers machined back to the flats. That still doesn't quite solve the issue but goes very close. Again a matter of aesthetics.

Reactions: Lunchbox27

Lunchbox27

Professional whisky drinker
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2017
MD
I run a proof stainless on my Tikka. My smith just trimmed the shank down to match the action.

Reactions: Anzac

Anzac

Private
Belligerents
Dec 6, 2010
TX
Tru. I’ve also seen a shank tapered back to the receiver. It works but then makes it somewhat more “interesting “ when removing the barrel. Dealers choice.

santee116

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 19, 2010
Camden, SC
Just my opinion...
Did you use their shouldered pre-fit? Been considering a Carbon Six on my T3, good to see some positive results. Any pics of the rifle?

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
It’s a prefix that I had them install. The rifle is still in a chopped up t3 plastic since my new stock will not be done until next week... hopefully View attachment 7110657
I bought a Carbon 6 for my Tikka as well. Still waiting for it to arrive. It's not a prefit bc I'm going to have my GS chamber it in 6.5 SST. Glad to see other folks are having good results with them.

Reactions: HolyCity73

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
KRG and MPA. I love my MPA. I sold my Tac A1 chassis. I think it looks badass. Actual ability to use it sucks. The MPA was a huge upgrade and I put a KRG on my T1x. It was an awesome upgrade as well. Love both. If I had to have one MPA

littlepod

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 16, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I chose the Bravo for the ability to both Hunt and Compete. MPA was way too heavy if I ever wanted to take it hunting. The KRG Bravo is only a few ounces heavier than the CTR stock setup.

Stooxie

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2018
I chose the Bravo for the ability to both Hunt and Compete. MPA was way too heavy if I ever wanted to take it hunting. The KRG Bravo is only a few ounces heavier than the CTR stock setup.
A few onces? More like a pound, and that's with zero accessories. It's definitely one of the lightest chassis, for sure, though. Once they get the CTR BM version done that will save a few ounces since the 10 round CTR mag is lighter than a 10 round AICS mag.

-Stooxie

littlepod

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 16, 2012
Kirkland, WA
A few onces? More like a pound, and that's with zero accessories. It's definitely one of the lightest chassis, for sure, though. Once they get the CTR BM version done that will save a few ounces since the 10 round CTR mag is lighter than a 10 round AICS mag.

-Stooxie
Ah I didn't know! When I was shopping I thought it was 2.5 lb for the CTR stock + dbm, vs 2.9 lb for the Bravo (yes accessoryless).