Tikka action when dirty?

MountainHunter

Online Training Member
Jan 22, 2018
Montana
I have a Tikka T3X lite action in a CTR stock with a benchmark barrel (6.5 CM) that currently has about 350 rounds and 2 matches since it's last cleaning. The second of those matches was this past weekend, it was a 2 day team match, approximately 200 rounds with tons of wind blowing dust around all weekend. Still runs like butter, just as fast as I can run the bolt. I haven't even touched it with a rag that whole time.

I'll probably do a thorough cleaning this week though just to deal with any carbon or copper build up in the barrel.

Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
I ran mine on a Texas panhandle prairie dog hunt about a month ago, and it ran great. No crawling or anything like that, but plenty of wind, blowing dust, etc...

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
Spent a day up in MT with a CTR and 40mpg gusts in a wheat field (a metric shit ton of crap flying around). Ran it dirty, and put another 100rds down range without a hiccup.

Feb 16, 2017
My Tikka always ran fine! I love the feeling of their bolt and honestly wish some of the custom actions felt as good as Tikkas, highly resistant to bind even when dirty.

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
I agree...mostly. :) I say that only after having put a straight bolt handle into a Tikka bolt. It felt like it kept wanting to bind. Popped in another Sterk swept AI bolt handle, and that Tikka runs like butter now, just like the other one.

BLUF: Bolt handle angle matters (as does, I believe, where the bolt knob is; i.e parallel of the bolt body, but towards the rear).

HaysKSFirefighter

Highly trained boo boo fixer
Jan 21, 2012
Valley Center, KS
They run shockingly well in dirty conditions. I have a CTR action that I ran for a year without cleaning...in the KS wind, we get actions terribly dirty and they will lock up or get damaged if you aren't paying attention to them. I only realized a few weeks ago when I was cleaning that rifle just how dirty the action was and the fact that I hadn't cleaned it...I'm sure I put a bit of grease on the lugs at some point but honestly can't remember. I'm sure the teflon coating helped in that case, but I've got some others that I've run pretty hard and they chug right along with the dirt and grime. I've had to take bolts out of my custom guns at matches to get the grit out several times while my better half sits there with her Tikka in the same conditions and doesn't have to worry about her action locking up.

Top Bottom