The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Aug 21, 2012
Chicagostan
Thanks. He maybe didn't notice, but there was a VERY watchful eye on him at all times. My biggest fear is, I may have lost my job runnin' saw :ROFLMAO:.
I can sympathize with the "watchful eye". I'm a wreck when momma is running the saw, but she's a good sport about my nervous hovering. And I think @Geno C. nailed it: when it's time to run the "big" saw with the 28" bar she gladly relinquishes the cutting duties.

IowaPlinker

Interested amateur
Feb 12, 2017
Eastern Iowa
Here is a question for someone who knows more them I do about seasoned firewood.
I cut two branches off of a standing dead elm tree. Enough for a pick up load when cut. The tree has been standing dead for six years.
My question is; how much longer must it sit, split, before it is well seasoned for burning?
I managed to split it all today and Wife and Kids hauled and stacked it.
I wonder if I can post pictures...

IowaPlinker

Interested amateur
Feb 12, 2017
Eastern Iowa
4AECFA52-2BA0-4E94-BE99-F7FD4BCC62E5.jpeg EF60B26E-1FE5-4778-A868-D3BE9A8C29B3.jpeg 92F3F735-FB3E-4593-94FE-FBE218FAF579.jpeg
If you can see her, Daughter is standing at the base of that tree. The two lowest branches on the right came down yesterday.
They were thicker than the length of my Stihl pole saw, requiring a cut from both sides to bring them down.
Lotsa good wood in there!

Mr. Zick

Small Arms Artillery
Feb 20, 2017
Wisconsin
No reason it shouldn’t be good to go now. Any part of the interior being yellow would let you know it’s still green. Hand split a metric shitload of green elm growing up. I think Dad was trying to see if he could break me. It sure burns clean and hot though.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
I agree with Zick. Should be fine. Dead standing that long, bark is long gone, and still standing, it was shedding water as of late with our heavy rains, etc... Quality high BTU wood and be thankful for hydraulics! It’s hell to split by hand.

Top Bottom