The Old Sniper's Hide is Back !

lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Online Training Access
Apr 12, 2001
Base of the Rockies
www.snipershide.com
Attention All Sniper's Hide Members, Old and New, Sniper's Hide is going back Home !

After 2 + years on the Scout network, we are officially leaving to head back to our own servers with our own, some what original site. Unfortunately the plan to take precision rifle shooting mainstream by putting it alongside more traditional sports has failed and is coming to close. We returning to our independent roots.

www.snipershide.com and forum.snipershide.com

These are the two domains you need, they are currently active but will require tiny bit of effort on your part.

1. I recommend you clear your cache and browser history. Be sure to restart your browsers to access our site. We transferred it over on Friday so the Internet should have cycled everything through down to your local ISP so it registers the new site and does not redirect it back to the Scout Site.

2. Bookmark the new sites and do not use the old Scout address for Sniper's Hide.

3. If you have Premium Scout Account - Cancel it unless you plan to use Scout for the Sport Pages. We do not have any access to your account on Scout. It is up to the end user to cancel any and all accounts there moving forward.

4. Scout will stay active for a bit, but it will be shut down. Scout was sold to CBS so there is a transition period to help you access your old data.

5. Any old Data you want to keep, you have to transfer it manually. We are not volunteering any data. We copied and pasted some sticky data but it all must be done manually.

6. SUPER IMPORTANT - if you never had a Sniper's Hide account before the move to Scout, and signed up while we were at Scout, you have to REGISTER. We did not merge or transfer user data over because that would damage our existing membership accounts from before.

The Scout system is a proprietary system that does not play well with our Software. Therefore we have chosen to abandon the Scout data to preserve our original data.

The Original Sniper's Hide Website is right back where we left it. Most are logging in with their old information first try. All we did was shut the site off back in 2014. However a massive upgrade was completed just last month in preparation for this move. That upgrade did cause some minor errors, and be minor I mean we can easily fix them on an individual basis.

ADDRESSING ERRORS

1. Don't be a jerk about it, if you give me details I can address it on an individual basis. I have compete control of everything. So if you come off with an attitude because your post count is wrong, don't expect help.

2. Provide your USER NAME and What your Post Count should be, I am not hunting or guessing who you are, how you log in or what your stats are. Details matter

3. We have a Punch List Thread in the Bear Pit, you can post there and I will go down the line and address it.

WE HAVE A PRIORITY SYSTEM to fix errors ... we are well aware of what is missing, what needs to be changed. We definitely want to hear about individual problems but at the same time, you have to give us time. There is only 1 person working on this ME, and our mods will do what they can. But we need a short period of understanding.

Many of the errors are focused around the merging of user groups during the upgrade. We can go in and change anything and everything. Adjusting the group has fixed the problem.

Known Errors from a End User Standpoint

We know some iPads cannot post, you have to go into the iPad system and under Safari or your browser change the cookie handling to accept cookies from the site. Clear the cache too

Android Phones appear to have trouble clearing the cache so it will try to point you back to Scout

WE HAVE Tapatalk working ...

Tapatalk works and is the best fix for phones and iPads it's free and easy.

Premium Memberships - If you paid for a year we will honor it

We have no intent on burning anyone who paid Scout for a year membership. We will honor your commercial says account and online training account

The Online Training Premium Account is not 100% up and running yet. It will be in short order. If you paid for a 1 year subscription (not a monthly) we will credit you towards your new account on the Old Sniper's Hide. But I need to know who you are. And you need cancel that stuff with Scout --- NOT ME.

This is a process, a process that has to be dealt with in a logical order so we can make this as smooth as possible. Unlike before both sites will be active for some time. Once that time is finished, the old stuff will be gone. We have options to save our very best evergreen content and we really appreciate the support.

My goal, address everything as quickly and efficiently as possible. For that I need your help as I am only one person and the mods only have so much power. Your understanding is appreciated.

PS. Don't answer posts on the old site from 2014 that person is probably not following it anymore.

Thanks a ton and hope to see you at the New / Old Sniper's Hide ...

Lowlight

ballison

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Mar 31, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
Any way to change username on the new site? I was on the original site, then went to Scout with a new name. Would like to keep it consistent if possible.
Thanks!!

someguy12341

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 19, 2008
Memphis, TN
Although it might not have happened for the reasons you'd choose - or might not even be considered a positive right now - congratulations! Strikes me as a good thing in the long run.

Rangemaster

Step back behind the LINE
Belligerents
Oct 6, 2013
High Sierra Desert
Moving super slow right now, the mysql databases might be getting hammered with all the new requests. Check the load on the server, the database might need to be optimized.

jb1023

Belligerents
Dec 15, 2011
Colorado
I see lots of new posts on Scout from today. Will there be some sort of notification for the folks who were not watching the site info forum or will the site just go away one day for those not paying attention?

waveslayer

Belligerents
Mar 6, 2012
CA
About time! I'm stoked it's off Scout, I barely logged on

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jun 16, 2007
Anacortes WA
Anyone know why I can't get to the largest threads? Both my phone and laptop will begin to download the page but just stops about 1/4 way in & opens a blank page?
All the other threads seem to work fine. Only the SHWW & motivational pic threads do that.
Thanks.

AIAW

★★★★★
Belligerents
Aug 16, 2001
Central Texas
Any chance of somehow retaining the hundreds of PMs received between 2014 and last week?
You will either have to open each one and download them as HTML, copy as text or print them as a PDF to save locally to your machine. I guess you could very well screenshot them also if you wanted to.

There isn't any sort of linking or communication otherwise between this site and Scout.

AIAW

★★★★★
Belligerents
Aug 16, 2001
Central Texas
Anyone know why I can't get to the largest threads? Both my phone and laptop will begin to download the page but just stops about 1/4 way in & opens a blank page?
All the other threads seem to work fine. Only the SHWW & motivational pic threads do that.
Thanks.
Try clearing your browser history/cache. Most likely you have something in the cache that is preventing a "newer" copy to be downloaded correctly. If that doesn't work, that's going to be something deeper into your browser. It couldn't hurt to attempt with a different browser either to see if the same problem persists.

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jun 16, 2007
Anacortes WA
Try clearing your browser history/cache. Most likely you have something in the cache that is preventing a "newer" copy to be downloaded correctly. If that doesn't work, that's going to be something deeper into your browser. It couldn't hurt to attempt with a different browser either to see if the same problem persists.
OK I used a different app on my phone & it worked...
Once. I was able to open the SHWW & the Motivational threads 1 time but now it's doing exactly the same thing as it is using Chrome.
It brings up the progress bar it goes to about 1/4 of the way & then shoots to full then brings up a blank page with the hide page header @ the top. WTF?
#confused

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jun 16, 2007
Anacortes WA
On a hunch I tried again after logging out & when I was logged out in could open the SHWW page @ the last post. At least I think it's the last post. It says it was 2/13/17 iirc.
So it seems to work when I'm logged out but locks up on a blank page when I'm logged in?
#even more confused

mattmcg

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 19, 2007
CA
Oh thank god! It's been a painful 2 years and never spoke up about how challenging the experience was on Scout out of respect for Frank. Aside from the election this year, this is the best news yet! Glad to be back!

AIAW

★★★★★
Belligerents
Aug 16, 2001
Central Texas
So SCOUT is not answering their customer service number in order to cancel my account.....any suggestions on what to do?
Log a support ticket with them or send an e-mail to their support team. Keep that as a reference and keep calling also. Eventually if you can't get through then dispute any future charges with your credit card issuer. If you have a reputable CC issuer, they will take care of it from there.

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
spent alot (too much) time on the pre scout site learning a ton and contributing when i could. when it went over to scout, it was like work just to post something up and not very enjoyable at all, and pretty much didn't bother much with the site.

i'm sure this "new old" site will have it's issues (is see the BS whiners already), but 15 minutes into it and it's a ton more user friendly than the scout thing.

kudos to all that made it happen and to LL for returning to the grassroots of what made his house what it is.

Last edited:

Descent

Private
Belligerents
Aug 28, 2014
plan to take precision rifle shooting mainstream by putting it alongside more traditional sports
Interesting goal but Quixotic. The mainstream sports are played everywhere from the driveway to the backyard, park, school. Cost of admission is typically free to ~$100.

For precision shooting, I have to drive far enough away to typically have to make it a multi-day trip. Costs start at over $1k. So I haven't gone out there much and I've seen guys who spend a few g's never take it beyond 100 yards. I don't know what can help, maybe a VR product. There isn't even a good game/sim.

jbrand11

Staff Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 6, 2012
Western Slope Colorado
Log a support ticket with them or send an e-mail to their support team. Keep that as a reference and keep calling also. Eventually if you can't get through then dispute any future charges with your credit card issuer. If you have a reputable CC issuer, they will take care of it from there.
Thanks. Finally got them on the phone today and they sent me a cancellation conformation

N0mad

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 26, 2010
Converse, Texas
I haven't been to Scout in months and today I thought I would take a look at some scope reviews and what do you know... Frank is not afraid to admit Scout was a mistake... All of you guest (lurkers and lookers) need to need to sign up >> login and stay for awhile! With audience participation this place could be better than before.

bluto77

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Great news!!! I just discovered this, which i guess is a testament to how often I went to scout. Never liked that place, but I understated why Frank made the move over there. I'm really glad to see we've come back home!

Getting into "long range shooting" was life changing for me. Having no military or LEO background and/or formal training, I primarily used the hide to teach myself everything. Learning about FFP, Mils, cartridge nomenclature, how to use my scope, how to reload, why the quality of glass is merely a subjective opinion, etc was all the perfect therapy needed as I worked through losing my mom to a drunk driver back in 2010. Spending time trying to figure out what a "mic" is and how to use it, or chasing my tail at the 300 yard line trying to understand why my POI is so different than my POA was a much better use of my time than trying to figure out the what and why's of my loss.

I've made countless friends in the shooting community through the hide that I still shoot with today. After we moved over to Scout, I eventually stopped coming by, except to buy or sell something. As work and life with kids has gotten busier, time behind the rifle has dwindled.

I can't wait to get back on to the old hide and start learning again! I might even be able to contribute a little bit here and there now.... Thanks for making this move Frank. I know Snipershide will be a success!

kingston

▬▬ι═ Ѡ ═ι▬▬
Belligerents
Jan 26, 2010
I hadn't heard about the resurrection. Today, I went looking for my old M700 scope mounting height data and found the Hide's doors open again. I signed in with my old username and was surprised that it worked. It was a total coincidence. This is great news. I had bowed out of the Scout debacle like a bitter scorned school girl. After spending a couple years whoring around the campfire, I got toughened up. I'm glad to see you back under your own roof! Now, if I can only figure out what happen to my post count?

BTW: you might consider a banner/announcement in the header stating something like "We're Back!"

ahhshoot

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 25, 2013
This is awesome. I hope some of the regulars who left after the scout thing happened come back...
I have a question if someone can help me out here... when everything was moved to Scout I made a backup file of all the forums etc so that valuable info wouldn't be lost..Or maybe it was just my PM's and some other stuff-I can't remember exactly.
It looks like the reloading depot is a little sparse in comparo to what it used to be, naturally it took years to develop. Did anyone by chance make a backup file of all those posts, that might be kind enough to e-mail to me?
I had some posts in there for my own rifles that I referenced occasionally as well, so it would be tremendously helpful.
Just a shot in the dark... if not, then forward we go...

armorpl8chikn

Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 17, 2010
Western NC
Thanks LL. Glad you brought it back full circle.

Been pretty much gone for 3 years. I'll be back for good now....or bad...depending on how I'm remembered.