The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Feb 23, 2017
Has anyone replaced the grip on their MRAD? I'm finding the grip lacking and considering switching to an ergonomic overmold, but I'm wondering what else people are using. Has anyone tried a more vertical grip? hell would the MPA EVG work?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2017
I ended up replacing the stock MOE grips with some ergo overmold, just because I have it on all my AR's and I like the consistency of feel. To test it out we had some good fun at my friends Cabin. An easy 300 Meters/confidence builder right off the deck. If we go up to his barn, we can make it all the way to 750M. We had just enough wind to keep the bugs away, but not so much as to make it dicey at distance.
The more I shoot this thing, the more I want to marry it.

Mooncake

New Hide Member
May 29, 2018
Central Mountains, CO
Quick PSA, and forgive me if this is common knowledge unknown to me, but if you have an older "large breech" MRAD, new production magazines (marked "A") will not work with it. The catch on the magazine is substantially further down the mag body and will not activate the mag catch of the rifle. I had a phone conversation with a CS rep at Barrett and purchased some older mags marked "338Lapua". They are not making them anymore but have some laying around. The newer "A" mags will work with your older rifle if you're using the small breech conversion kit, which is required to change calibers if you have the gen 1 rifle.

He went on to give me the following compatibility info:
"A" mags: 338LM, 338NM, 300NM
"B" mags: 7mmRM, 300WM
"C" mags: 308, 6.5, 260

I'll post up some pics of my new but old MRAD after I get the ATACR in the Spuhr that just arrived today. Stoked! Now if I could get the cows off my range...

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Staten Island, NY
update: removing the extension was a bit of a pain, but just because of the amount of thread locker they used...anyway...
now let me issue a poll here, what barrel length, profile and twist rate would the group recommend for a 300 nm MRAD? Intended use steel ringing up to a mile. I am leaning towards 1/10, 24-26", med palma with 198 flatlines in mind, but open for words of wisdom from the Hide folks...

Top Bottom