The GAP Butthurt thread (formerly 6mm GT)

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I've always thought GAPs were too expensive for what they were. Whenever Id go to their website and and add up parts and labor there was always a big differential in a ground up build and one of their "personality" rifles like the scrimitar, or gladius. Not to jump on a hate train but that is what always held me back. I guess one could assume that extra differential of profit is what guarantees you a flawless build, but then I've heard of plenty of mistakes coming out of their shop just like everyone else too. And now these days of course you can assemble a full house comp gun in your basement yourself for a little over $3000. I remember guys in that era talking about their Gap rifles shooting half moa. Hell, I have McGowan prefit button rifled barrels that shoot half moa these days.

Sonic Crack

Desert Tech Solutions
Belligerents
Oct 24, 2011
Wellington, Ohio
m.facebook.com
It warms my heart to see all the “gay tiger” memes for this new “best”? 6mil cartridge. I have to laugh thinking about all the poor dumb bastards that just got a rifle built in some other 6mm cartridge, and think they should seLL or rebarrel to the new wiz bang GT

Karma Enforcer
Belligerents
Jul 19, 2014
We'll let the free market decide just how good this new cartridge is. The free market always sorts out the winners and losers. I can see how some shooters would adopt it over the Dasher. Going to be extremely hard for 6mm CM guys to justify switching to the GT. Again, lets let the free market sort it out.

rth1800

Belligerents
Sep 16, 2009
I live near GAP and have not done business with them. This due to having great working relationships with LRI, TBA, Gre Tan and many others.
That being said, it is hard to imagine George reading this thread and not being offended. The guy has really supported long range shooting and innovation with the investment of his time and treasure. It may or may not have been a good investment. I have no idea. I see no reason to offend a guy who has spend much of his life supporting what we all do. …..

RTH

brianf

Private
Belligerents
Apr 8, 2010
NY
yup, thats why i posted before that i think he is ahead of the curve.
top smith, competitor, and marketing.

Reactions: rth1800

nexusfire

Secks fi millimeet
Belligerents
Sep 9, 2010
Mesa, AZ
It warms my heart to see all the “gay tiger” memes for this new “best”? 6mil cartridge. I have to laugh thinking about all the poor dumb bastards that just got a rifle built in some other 6mm cartridge, and think they should seLL or rebarrel to the new wiz bang GT
I don't think that anyone here is saying that. And if someone wants to rebarrel their gun to try something new so what? Aren't you in the gun business? I am sure you have benefited from the same "dumb bastards". You are not doing your employer any justice by saying things like this in a public forum.

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2005
VA
I just don’t see the advertised velocities happening without running nuclear loads that will trash brass and run into pressure issues with the slightest hint of moisture. Not saying it’s not possible, but I don’t think it’s doable while keeping things safe too.

What’s advertised is just under what’s safe with 6 Creed. Doing it with 10-20% less powder in a similar case design... I just don’t see it.

Not saying it won’t be a good round and I’m happy to see Alpha brass instead of Hornady this time around.

BoilerUP

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 16, 2011
Clark Co., IN
rth1800 said:
That being said, it is hard to imagine George reading this thread and not being offended.
I would hope that George, at this point in his career and business, wouldn't give two shits what a bunch of smartasses on an internet gun forum happen to think about his latest chambering, let alone become 'offended' by it.

Personally I think 6mmGT seems like a solution in search of a problem, but it is fair to say that has NEVER stopped a gun plumber, gear whore, enthusiast, wildcatter or 'why not try something different?' type in the history of ever.

It's y'alls money, spend it however ya want...

...just keep the memes rolling.

Last edited:

Sonic Crack

Desert Tech Solutions
Belligerents
Oct 24, 2011
Wellington, Ohio
m.facebook.com
W
I don't think that anyone here is saying that. And if someone wants to rebarrel their gun to try something new so what? Aren't you in the gun business? I am sure you have benefited from the same "dumb bastards". You are not doing your employer any justice by saying things like this in a public forum.

Well its the newest so it has to be the best? Right? High amount of sarcasm there btw.

Trying new stuff, nothing wrong with that at all. My comment was, literally just what it says. Plenty of guys out there like that.

Im not currently in the gun biz. More than happy to say I dont work for sac any longer.

Deej

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 2, 2012
MO
One question? Was this what George Gardener was shooting at The Open Range Shooter’s Retreat, last year in OK, when he hit 9 of 10 @ 1,500 yards? This was not a mile shoot, mind you, but a regular PRS match. I think the next best on that stage was 3. I hit all around it and never connected. I was squaded behind him, and we kept hearing cheering. Pretty soon everyone stopped shooting and just watched him. Someone said he was shooting a wildcat of his own design. Is this it?

He’s a heck of a good guy, makes really nice rifles, and shoots in a lot of matches. I wonder if any of you calling him a liar in a public forum are going to go up to him and confront him to his face with his “lies”?
George was running a 6.5 prc at that match. Next was 6 hits with a 6.5x47

flyer

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
When people have a fit over a new wildcat, I imagine they are like the .308 people who said 6.5 Creedmoor would never catch on.

Personally, I think 6GT should probably roll out smoother than .224 Valkyrie did.

If it sucks people will figure that out quickly. If it actually delivers on the claims, all of the people that bought in to another 6mm and are trying to shit on 6GT will look foolish.

The frugal decision is to see how it shakes out and wait for a new gun purchase or rebarrel before considering which chambering you want.

I don't care how other people spend their money so I'm happy to see people enjoying lots of wildcats.

Reactions: Bradu

Zuul

Private
Belligerents
Jan 18, 2014
Kona, Hawaii
I heard there was a break in at GAP, APB for an English guy out of Florida. Left a note that said “your gt stinks, our new grt is way better, say anything and we will sue!”0DAF63CF-35F3-4B5C-9DE8-E986649DE4B3.jpeg

flyer

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
The claims that seem interesting to me are feeding from magazines without modification and longer barrel life.

Ballistics should be very similar to other cartridges but that's about all you can ask for.

Of course if someone comes out with something better, I would like to see that too.