The Fix from Q

Scotch_egg

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 2, 2010
England
Thanks man. I got my 22 inch barrel on right now. What a difference in weight...

I'd like to discuss weight when it comes to optics. I have been saving for a NF 4-16x42 ATACR and now that they have the Mil-XT that is very tempting. But its 30oz. The March 3-24x42 is the same price range. It is only 22oz so it saves 8oz and has 8x more zoom. Is that the ultimate fix optic? It comes in both F1 and F2, Mil or MOA, but the only downside is they don't have any kind of Horus or christmas tree type reticle. Which I lived without for years so I should be fine without it...

I guess the question for me is, is the Mil-XT worth 8oz on a gun where my main focus is hunting and weight and not comps. Any other options with weight/quality and price in mind? @koshkin do you sir have an opinion on the March I am considering? Thanks.
Look at the 52mm objective model. It handles parallax far better according to the reviews I have seen.

I’m kicking myself for passing on a 3-24X42 FMA-1. I have a 1-10X24 I use with the .308 barrel on my Fix. The glass is excellent right up there with my 5-20X50US

Attachments

midSCarolina

Private
Belligerents
Jun 23, 2012
Bro the atacr is more money and weighs more. I want something lighter. 30oz is on the heavier side for an optic with only 16x. The March is 22oz and 24x.

Thanks Ilya. The TT is around 36-37oz though and for only 15x? Plus isn’t it like $3k plus minimum?
My bad bro... thought you were looking at 2 different NFs. I think you should be more focused on learning to shoot the rifle than if you are saving 5 oz here and there. Maybe you need something heavier

Last edited:

TXGunner308

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2018
Try the Mark 5HD 3.6-18. Cheaper than both, decent glass, and right in between on weight (26oz). I’m not sure that it is necessarily better than either, but it’s not a bad choice.

I was considering a March as well but the shallow focus / parallax that I saw Ilya and others mention put me off of that idea.
MK5 is garbage. I had that very model and it went back to Leupold for re-work. When it came back it got dumped and went with a NF ATACR. A few ounces is worth reliable repeatability. Gun is already light enough and most that hunt with it only carry it short distances to their blind or stand.

Reactions: rydah

Movistar

Set in Stone
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
ID USA
My bad bro... thought you were looking at 2 different NFs. I think you should be more focused on learning to shoot the rifle than if you are saving 5 oz here and there. Maybe you need something heavier
That’s cute. You NEVER have anything meaningful to contribute. You’re literally and actually the dude KB was making fun of on the podcast. You should sell the rifle and move on. Don’t you have some homework to do? I’m pretty sure my groups weren’t 2 inches like yours. Oh wait it’s cause your scope was loose right? Millennials. #ignorebutton

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2006
Los Angeles
www.opticsthoughts.com
Bro the atacr is more money and weighs more. I want something lighter. 30oz is on the heavier side for an optic with only 16x. The March is 22oz and 24x.

Thanks Ilya. The TT is around 36-37oz though and for only 15x? Plus isn’t it like $3k plus minimum?
TT315P is heavy. TT315M is under 30 ounces. It is indeed expensive at right around $3k.

Another option to consider it is Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44

Ilya

Ernsky

Meh
Hessian
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Tennessee
MK5 is garbage. I had that very model and it went back to Leupold for re-work. When it came back it got dumped and went with a NF ATACR. A few ounces is worth reliable repeatability. Gun is already light enough and most that hunt with it only carry it short distances to their blind or stand.
I have the MK5 on mine and really considering swapping to a 1-8x for up to 300yds where I hunt. I have another MK5 that may get swapped as well. I know NF is usually the go to but anyone have anything negative to say about Trijicon?

crimson25

Private
Belligerents
Jan 1, 2019
San Diego, CA
I have a MK5 3.6-18 on order for my Fix.. is the general consensus here that you'd go with something else? Anyone have a MK5 that they really like?

Side note: I ordered it almost 5 weeks ago. Called a few days ago and it didn't sound like they had a new batch in production yet--or a date for that matter. The longer it takes the more antsy I'm getting.

Reactions: Ernsky

lte82

Shooter
Belligerents
Mar 12, 2013
What was wrong with it?

Movistar

Set in Stone
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
ID USA
That’s the thing about the Mk5 is there is lots for sale and I take that as a sign of lack of quality. I could be wrong. The NX8 was the only NF I’ve ever not liked. I sold mine in a month. There are always NX8s for sale for lots less than MSRP. It’s Because the reticle sucks. I hear people say bad things about the Mk5 but there’s a few who like it. It’s why I keep coming back to the 4-16 Atacr. It’s universally liked. I had hoped to go as light as possible but I don’t want to sacrifice quality or usability. Thanks for all the input.

midSCarolina

Private
Belligerents
Jun 23, 2012
That’s cute. You NEVER have anything meaningful to contribute. You’re literally and actually the dude KB was making fun of on the podcast. You should sell the rifle and move on. Don’t you have some homework to do? I’m pretty sure my groups weren’t 2 inches like yours. Oh wait it’s cause your scope was loose right? Millennials. #ignorebutton
I can't think of anything gayer than listening to KB's podcasts. I also couldn't imagine sinking almost 7k into a rifle that I can't even shoot straight. I would be mad too. Good luck. Sucks to suck

Hondo1

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 2, 2014
Colorado
I have a MK5 3.6-18 on order for my Fix.. is the general consensus here that you'd go with something else? Anyone have a MK5 that they really like?

Side note: I ordered it almost 5 weeks ago. Called a few days ago and it didn't sound like they had a new batch in production yet--or a date for that matter. The longer it takes the more antsy I'm getting.
I have a MK5 3.6-18 on my Fix and it has done everything I’ve asked of it. I don’t understand all the hate. Maybe I just have a good one.

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2005
VA

Mark 5’s are great, he doesn’t know WTF he’s talking about.

Ernsky

Meh
Hessian
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Tennessee

My only complaint is the Tremor 3 reticle at closer distance is faint and faded. The TMR reticle I also have is better suited for 50yds if need be. My OCD won’t let me have 1 NF or Trij and a MK5. I like uniformity. The MK5 is lightweight and pretty crisp/clear at and past 100yds. Don’t be worried about your purchase.

Last edited:

JohnnyPhaze

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
Went shooting on Friday to work on my groupings. I thought I was going to get it but damnit....one random flyer out of 5. I determined.

Changed my ammo up with the 168gr federal 308 match king instead of 175gr

AEE8F1D2-965F-496E-AEED-12F994EE2349.jpeg4A33CE99-D265-4CC0-B487-A17B87BC623A.jpeg

TXGunner308

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2018
What was wrong with it?
Reticle was not properly installed at factory, scope would not track and zero stop tick marks would not align once dial was adjusted. I've actually seen the misalignment of tick marks on a number of the MK5 scopes.

Last edited:

heytonyman

Belligerents
Jul 5, 2010
Western PA
What are you basing your statement on? Or just spouting off; drinking the kool-aid? I think NF has a solid, proven track record.
A Mark 5 would certainly be the cheapest scope I’ve known him to own. He has had literally every high end optic made. If he recommends it, that’s enough for me. Mine will be here Thursday. Locked & Loaded has T3’s for under 1650 new.

crimson25

Private
Belligerents
Jan 1, 2019
San Diego, CA
Ahh read that too quickly.. thought you were locked and loaded for under 1650 *facepalm*

But, in that case, I guess it's time to see if Leupold will let me cancel my order and save some money. Anyone have experience with that?

Gotlag1789

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2018
That always happens to me and its always on the 5th shot. reeeeeeeeee
Haha right 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m hoping the vert grip will help me stop throwing that last one. We’ll see. The weather in wisco keeps wrecking all of my hopes and dreams to get out and shoot 😒😒

Reactions: esw004

Movistar

Set in Stone
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
ID USA
Anyone have experience with magnum small rifle primers in the fix? I’ve been using CCI 400 small rifle but I have a bunch of 450 magnum small rifle on hand. I know Q mentions the firing pin may not like military hard cup primers but I don’t think the magnum 450s fall into that category. I’m going to test some of them tomorrow but I’m curious if anyone has used them in their Fix already.

Rootshot

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 28, 2006
SF Bay Area
Ahh read that too quickly.. thought you were locked and loaded for under 1650 *facepalm*

But, in that case, I guess it's time to see if Leupold will let me cancel my order and save some money. Anyone have experience with that?
I have a friend who gets a guide discount of 50% from Leupold. He helped get a MK5 for me. Couldn't be happier. Put it in an ADM mount and have been shooting with it on my GAP10 (until my Fix arrives....). Tracking has been good enough to get first shot hits on steel plates at 800 yards. Nothing negative to say about this scope.

TXGunner308

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2018
A Mark 5 would certainly be the cheapest scope I’ve known him to own. He has had literally every high end optic made. If he recommends it, that’s enough for me. Mine will be here Thursday. Locked & Loaded has T3’s for under 1650 new.
The MK5 was recommended to me as well from another shooter that has far more experience than I. The clarity of the MK5 was very good. Basically I want gear to work (not sit on a gun and look pretty). If it does'nt work then I move on. I found the 35mm tube be odd versus the 34mm. The NF ATCAR w/ the mil-c reticle has worked flawlessly right out of the box; perfect set up and has versatility to be removed and used on my other guns all the way up to my 50BMG. A friend of mine has an ATACR mounted in Badger rings that he just punishes, beats the snot out of and that thing puts rounds on target every single time. Buy once, cry once. YMMV

Reactions: esw004

cleric

Private
Belligerents
Nov 13, 2011
Dallas, tx
My mk5 has been great. I think a lot of units are being sold and therefore you will seem a lot of them for sale.

Not taking anything away for other brands. But at the price point I think it’s one of the best deals out there.

I went with t3 because I did not like the mil reticle and am happy with it so far

esw004

Private
Belligerents
Feb 15, 2017
Anyone have experience with magnum small rifle primers in the fix? I’ve been using CCI 400 small rifle but I have a bunch of 450 magnum small rifle on hand. I know Q mentions the firing pin may not like military hard cup primers but I don’t think the magnum 450s fall into that category. I’m going to test some of them tomorrow but I’m curious if anyone has used them in their Fix already.
I havn't run into any problems using them. Shot over 300 rounds using them.

rydah

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2019
This.

Reactions: midSCarolina

heytonyman

Belligerents
Jul 5, 2010
Western PA
The MK5 was recommended to me as well from another shooter that has far more experience than I. The clarity of the MK5 was very good. Basically I want gear to work (not sit on a gun and look pretty). If it does'nt work then I move on. I found the 35mm tube be odd versus the 34mm. The NF ATCAR w/ the mil-c reticle has worked flawlessly right out of the box; perfect set up and has versatility to be removed and used on my other guns all the way up to my 50BMG. A friend of mine has an ATACR mounted in Badger rings that he just punishes, beats the snot out of and that thing puts rounds on target every single time. Buy once, cry once. YMMV
The more you explain your reasoning, the more I think redneckbmxer24 hit the nail on the head.

Hobbes442

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2018
question for Q guys:
so when 8.6 blackout comes out - will be a fix with 12.5" barrel. if you buy one - how long does it take to get SBR stamp?
do they come out with Honey Badger in 12.5" and call it pistol?
I want the 8.6 to be next my gun from Q- for hog hunting - auto way more fun though

Movistar

Set in Stone
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
ID USA
question for Q guys:
so when 8.6 blackout comes out - will be a fix with 12.5" barrel. if you buy one - how long does it take to get SBR stamp?
do they come out with Honey Badger in 12.5" and call it pistol?
I want the 8.6 to be next my gun from Q- for hog hunting - auto way more fun though
Based on what I’ve heard so far They will offer a pistol fix with a 12.5 inch barrel. It will come wirh a brace. You can sbr it if you want. Wait time varies. I had one take 34 days and I had one take almost a year.

They will also offer 16 inch barrel for the fix rifle. But many people need a pistol marked receiver to hunt certain areas. So I don’t think SBR is the Way to go. With the braces having come a long way it’s almost pointless to SBR now.

They are partnering with Noveske for gas guns. But KB did say a 86 HB isn’t off the table.

@TXGunner308 is that necessary? We are trying to keep the children and trolls OUT of this thread.

Oh and lots of us that hunt walk all over hell and back, especially out west. I do consider oz when I’m going backpacking or hunting. I’d like my rifle as light as possible but I’m with you on the fact that the gear needs to work. It sounds like you got a hell of a dud from Leupold. NF is amazing. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a NF lemon but I’m sure it happens to just about everyone.

It’s too bad the March isn’t on their level because that stuff is light. I’m still leaning towards the MilXT 4-16 atacr and eating 5oz for quality. Sometimes it’s needed.

TXGunner308

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2018
Based on what I’ve heard so far They will offer a pistol fix with a 12.5 inch barrel. It will come wirh a brace. You can sbr it if you want. Wait time varies. I had one take 34 days and I had one take almost a year.

They will also offer 16 inch barrel for the fix rifle. But many people need a pistol marked receiver to hunt certain areas. So I don’t think SBR is the Way to go. With the braces having come a long way it’s almost pointless to SBR now.

They are partnering with Noveske for gas guns. But KB did say a 86 HB isn’t off the table.

@TXGunner308 is that necessary? We are trying to keep the children and trolls OUT of this thread.

Oh and lots of us that hunt walk all over hell and back, especially out west. I do consider oz when I’m going backpacking or hunting. I’d like my rifle as light as possible but I’m with you on the fact that the gear needs to work. It sounds like you got a hell of a dud from Leupold. NF is amazing. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a NF lemon but I’m sure it happens to just about everyone.

It’s too bad the March isn’t on their level because that stuff is light. I’m still leaning towards the MilXT 4-16 atacr and eating 5oz for quality. Sometimes it’s needed.
Your asking the wrong person the question. I was only stating my opinion based on my experience with the MK5 then d-bags drop in comments that are unnecessary. Further more, you already know that I'm not a kool-aid drinker and don't get all ghey and giddy over trending guns or gear. I guess to be a memeber of the cool kids club we have to agree with every single comment you make about Q or any other related product. If you don't like my comments then ignore them. I tell it like it is.

Last edited:

Hobbes442

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2018

thanks Movistar-
be waiting to see when they launch them this yr

claytonm

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2018
Geeze children, shake your dicks, the pissing contest is over.

I mentioned the MK5 HD, it has been working fine for me. TXGunner doesn't like it - fine. Who cares? We're both forming opinions from a sample size of 1, and as they say, "opinons are like assholes", lol.

I think it is entirely possible that Leupold has more manufacturing QC/inconsistencies than other companies due to their size and perceived 'resting on their laurels' for too long. I think I probably got a good copy, and cool, I'm glad of it. If it starts getting screwy, I'll send it in for repair and make a determination from there to keep it or move on.

I also subscribe to the buy once cry once philosophy, we're in a thread about a $3k rifle for goodness sakes - I just don't mind using something that is a good value given the chance either. I think I got a screaming deal on the MK5HD, and it's probably because of all you sourpusses who are poo-pooing them, haha.

bachelorjack

Doesn't Like You
Belligerents
Sep 10, 2007
Columbia, SC
www.snipershide.com
The problem with Leupold has always been their consistency. When a problem pops up they do take care of it. I will give them that. But as someone who has sent them in optics to be fixed that failed or had obvious manufacturing defects---and then had to send them back in because they weren't fixed the first time they went in. Then had to argue with them on the phone about it---it just gets old.

Stuff breaks. Thing slip through the cracks. I get that.

I've also had Trijicon repair scopes. And I've had Vortex just flat out replace them. Haven't broken a Schmidt yet, but I have used their custom shop/repair center and Zeiss's too. What I'm getting at is I've been doing this a while.

I'd love to try out a MK5. I even get pro/guide pricing. But if I don't get one that works out of the box and stays working I know what I will be in for. And me kicking myself for knowing better, isn't worth what could be a great scope if they finally got their consistency issues worked out.

crimson25

Private
Belligerents
Jan 1, 2019
San Diego, CA
Thanks to everyone for chiming in about the MK5, and sorry if we hijacked the thread for a bit. Due in part to some of the sentiment expressed on here--and some impatience on my part (called again, still not even a production date)--I decided to cancel my order. Order is going in tomorrow for NF ATACR 4-16 (tremor 3).

I'll be sure to get some pics up when it comes in and I get the chance. Also considering cerakoting some parts on it. I have a 20" 6.5CM, but it started it's life as a .308 so it's got the blue accents, and I'm not a huge fan tbh.

rydah

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2019
Is the fix trigger adjustable for pull weight?
Only adjustment I can find is the set screw in the pistol grip. Which only seems to increase or decrease takeup travel of the first stage and to be honest doesn’t really do anything worth the effort.

rydah

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2019
Correct. The weight of pull isn’t but the length of the first stage is.
Okay cool thanks for clarifying that. I thought as much after playing with it.

Also what boreguides are people using? I need one and have no idea what will fit.

accurate_okie

Private
Belligerents
Sep 28, 2017
GA
I have the MK5 on mine and really considering swapping to a 1-8x for up to 300yds where I hunt. I have another MK5 that may get swapped as well. I know NF is usually the go to but anyone have anything negative to say about Trijicon?
I run the trijicon 1-8 on a semi auto 308 and the only real complaint I have is that the reticle is thick even for a ffp.

Edit: oh and my windage lines didnt line up when I zeroed the caps, so my windage is off 0.1 mils.

Last edited:

Brushout

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 15, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Hey guys. Has anyone changed out the magpul grip and have any recommendations? I think someone here posted they changed it without any issues. But that was just a single post and I can’t find it again.

I was thinking of a more vert grip, maybe like a MPA or hogue vert. This moe grip is just too small for my hand. Looking for some suggestions that will work with the stock folding.

Movistar

Set in Stone
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
ID USA
Hey guys. Has anyone changed out the magpul grip and have any recommendations? I think someone here posted they changed it without any issues. But that was just a single post and I can’t find it again.

I was thinking of a more vert grip, maybe like a MPA or hogue vert. This moe grip is just too small for my hand. Looking for some suggestions that will work with the stock folding.
I did the Ergo brand flat top. They make a deluxe version that is more vertical in a flat top too. You can change it. Only grips with a large tang interfere with the stock folding.

Attachments

Reactions: Scotch_egg

cleric

Private
Belligerents
Nov 13, 2011
Dallas, tx
I run the trijicon 1-8 on a semi auto 308 and the only real complaint I have is that the reticle is thick even for a ffp.

Edit: oh and my windage lines didnt line up when I zeroed the caps, so my windage is off 0.1 mils.
Thought about switching to 1-8 as compared to mk5 but for the few times I am going to reach out I want the mark 5. Thinking about making a 338 creed for deer and hog in Texas but would put the 1-8 on that