The Fix from Q

Hondo1

Sergeant
Jun 2, 2014
Utah
think 16.5 will be too short for 143s to make sense. If like a 130eldx came out I think a lot of people would go with short creeds
140 eld-m’s do great out of my 18” Kimber, haven’t tried 143’s in it yet. I’m thinking I can make back some speed with RL-16. I played with it in my Desert Tech Barrel and got velocities of about 75fps better than my pet H4350 load. I didn’t really hit the throttle to get there either.

Akdodge88

New Hide Member
Apr 29, 2018
Finally got my barrel wrench last night, shipped the barrel to Mr Tooley today. Going 16.5” and I told him to flute it as aggressively as he felt comfortable doing. I’m excited to see the result.
My plan is to start with RL-16 and 143’s.
I’m excited to see your thoughts on it when you get it back. I feel your choice in barrel selection and fluting would be what I want for a hunting barrel. I have the 24” proof to play with on the range, and would like something short like my .308 barrel for hiking the trails.

Hondo1

Sergeant
Jun 2, 2014
Utah
I’m excited to see your thoughts on it when you get it back. I feel your choice in barrel selection and fluting would be what I want for a hunting barrel. I have the 24” proof to play with on the range, and would like something short like my .308 barrel for hiking the trails.

That is exactly the thought process, light weight packer. If I want to shoot long with 6.5 Creedmoor I have a 28” and a 26”

jwknutson17

Big Game Hunter
Apr 29, 2017
Not loving the shorter barrel?
Decided on keeping the 16 308 barrel on the gun for what I'm going to do with it. I pretty much just did it for a quick data point. It did however make the 6.5 feel 5x better taking a pound off the end. But in reality, for my uses, I'll just be shooting 308 mostly and want the 178gr pills for deer and black bear inside a few hundred yards. Probably shouldn't have spent the money doing an experiment. So that's why it's up for sale. Haven't shot it other then the Chrono rounds listed in this thread. Barrel will prob keep getting faster after 100 rounds, but I just am going to stick with the heavy pills on the 308.

I'm super happy with that 17 inch barrel, but in all honesty I bought the fix to shoot 308 and this 6.5 barrel was actually new for sale before I even chopped it down.

Feb 15, 2017
Has yours been back to Q at all for the bolt lift?

I emailed a question about replacing the top rail screws (my early Fix had a screw that barely touched the barrel) and they actually gave me a label to send the rifle back. Their communication was pretty poor, but essentially they added that they wanted the rifle back to fix the heavy bolt lift that it would likely have. I could tell that mine probably had the heavy lift, but I was just going to shoot it a bit to see if it improved before talking to them, but since they issued a label I just went with it.

I got it back last week and the bolt lift definitely feels improved, so that might be worth exploring for you.
Was the bolt lift heavy only after being shot or was it heavy every time you worked the bolt? Mine is noticeably heavier after pulling the trigger.

claytonm

New Hide Member
May 13, 2018
Was the bolt lift heavy only after being shot or was it heavy every time you worked the bolt? Mine is noticeably heavier after pulling the trigger.
It was noticeably heavier when cocking (after trigger pull). But again, I was just going to shoot it and see how it went before Q issued me a label after an unrelated inquiry.

It's still heavier (just less-so) than working the bolt while it is cocked, but that makes sense since you aren't compressing the pin after the first actuation.

Feb 15, 2017
It was noticeably heavier when cocking (after trigger pull). But again, I was just going to shoot it and see how it went before Q issued me a label after an unrelated inquiry.

It's still heavier (just less-so) than working the bolt while it is cocked, but that makes sense since you aren't compressing the pin after the first actuation.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, I'll probably just live with it lol.

jwknutson17

Big Game Hunter
Apr 29, 2017
So a quick update on the repeatability and ability to hold zero when completely disassembled. I had the 308 barrel out, back in, including optic and mount off the gun, and when putting it back together, I was able to make first round hit at 700 yards. So that to me is impressive. 5.5 mils of elevation with FGMM 175gr at 2526 fps. I thought I would have missed for sure, but the tight tolerances I believe made it possible. Holding half a mil of wind.

Sep 17, 2013
Was looking to grab some metal sr25 mags to run some longer pills compared to the Magpuls. I figure the Larue and KACs are good to go, but has anyone used some of the ASC mags in their FIX? Would love to get some 10/20 rounders.

VMVIWI

New Hide Member
May 4, 2018
Dave
DAVETOOLEY,I just shortened a 6.5CM barrel for a guy. Figure a 2 ozs. reduction in weight per inch.

Wouldn't the length be effected by the twist rate? I am interested in cutting down the 22" 6.5CM to 20" what would that cost?

DAVETOOLEY

Gunny Sergeant
Jun 14, 2009
Oriental, North Carolina
Dave
DAVETOOLEY,I just shortened a 6.5CM barrel for a guy. Figure a 2 ozs. reduction in weight per inch.

Wouldn't the length be effected by the twist rate? I am interested in cutting down the 22" 6.5CM to 20" what would that cost?
I just shortened a 6.5 CM barrel. 2 oz per inch. I'm fluting that barrel next week. I'll report back with more weight numbers.
PM sent

Nov 13, 2011
Dallas, tx
What kind of length to the lands are people getting? I am trying to figure out how tight these chambers are or if I suck at getting a measurement with the hornady gauge

6.5cm with 143 eldx

Top Bottom