The AR15 Picture Thread

Lawless

New Hide Member
Feb 11, 2018
NC
@Lawless

Thought about getting one of PSA’s 10.5 kits and similar outfit it + light. Haven’t heard much on their pistol kits, though their 16” middy kit has been reliable for me (1,000 round test, 1% failure rate, had to clean at 600, cleaned trigger group at 800, this shot with generic 55 grain FMJ, USA made brass case)

Would you in your time with the 10.5” kit consider it enough for HD duty? Would you bet your life on it? Am considering it versus the much more expensive BCM uppers.

Note: It would not be a “training” carbine that saw thousands of rounds per year, more like 1- 2k per year if that for familiarization.
Absolutely.

Upgrade the extractor spring to wolf after break in and with the premium BCG you are good.

I have many many PSA rifles and have had no failures that are not considered ammo or mag related.

Feb 10, 2017
Tuscaloosa, AL
@Lawless

I’ve seen PSA throw up those Sig red dots for stupid cheap. How do you like them (obviously besides having three). How do you personally compare them to an Aimpoint?

I can afford a Sig, can’t currently afford an Aimpoint, so I am running irons now.

Lawless

New Hide Member
Feb 11, 2018
NC
@Lawless

I’ve seen PSA throw up those Sig red dots for stupid cheap. How do you like them (obviously besides having three). How do you personally compare them to an Aimpoint?

I can afford a Sig, can’t currently afford an Aimpoint, so I am running irons now.
I am an unabashed Trijicon MRO fan but even used I cannot justify 3 of them for these pistols. I saw this video, and it convinced me to try them. I bought them from PSA on sale and they are on sale now.

Definitely daylight bright and has a quality feel absent from Bushnell TRS25s and others.

They have shake awake and great battery life. The dot is actually more crisp than the MRO. Comes with a full CW mount and a low mount.

If it can survive a load of #7s, it can handle being in my trunk and beside my bed.

Lawless

New Hide Member
Feb 11, 2018
NC
$120 shipped.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-sauer-romeo5-1x20mm-red-dot-sight-black-r52001.html

Or for $80 more they'll throw in 10 30 round Magpul mags.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig...t-ten-magpul-pmag-30-5-56x45mm-magazines.html

I might have to pick one up. The high-rise mount that comes w/ the Bushnell TRS is a true co-witness. It's a good height but a real co-witness would be nice.
The mounts that came with the 2 bushnells I bought a few years ago for MP 15-22s were lower 1/3 CW. I bought replacement mounts for them from PA

The Sig Romeo 5 comes with a full CW and a low mount like for a shotgun.

Renegade05

New Hide Member
Jun 29, 2018
My 233 long range trainer. Has been shooting 75 grain black hills like a dream

Ascend Armory matched receiver set
20" Wilson combat threaded and fluted barrel
Lantac Nickel Boron EBCG
Slr rifleworks handguard and titanium adjustable gas block
Triggertech adjustable trigger
Luth AR carbine butt stock
Jp industries silent captured spring
Dead Air muzzle brake with Sandman L
Eotech Vudu 3.5-18x50 ffp mil/mil scope
Zro Delta 34mm qd mount
Accutac SR5 bipod
Radian Raptor SD charging handle

Attachments

Lawless

New Hide Member
Feb 11, 2018
NC
My little review of the PSA 10.5 pistols:

I went out to my cousin’s farm and sighted in the pistols with Federal M193. I started at 20 yards to get on paper and then set everything up from the shooting bench at exactly 43 yards per my software’s MPBR in a 4” target size.

Close zero of 43 yards means it will shoot inside a 4” circle out to 260 yards or so assuming around 2650 MV. Now of course with the dot of this red dot optic being 2 MOA and having no magnification this is all “potential” in a perfect world with a perfect shot being executed. In the real world, after today, I feel very confident in the 3 pistols’ abitilities and my own as a 48 year old with 48 year old eyes to hit a man sized target as far as I can see well enough to make him out.

After getting them aprox 1.5” low on paper at 20 yards I moved back to the bench at 43 yards. After a few adjustments the magic started happening. These things will shoot y’all, they shoot well.

I was drawing 2.5” circles with a big magic marker and coloring them in as targets. This gave me a good solid dot to aim at with a little outside the red aiming point to verify being centered. I slowly worked with each of the 3 to get them printing well inside 2” and then adjusted the rear Iron sights to be cented on the dots and continued to shoot.

I lowered the power on the intensity to get a fine crisp red aiming point for the last few targets and was cowitnessing through the rear Magpul sights. I was VERY happy with the results of tight groups and no indication of wandering or even ammo inconsistency.

The last 3 shot group I shot, I really did everything possible to do my best. Remember this dot covers a good portion of the 2.5” target and dots are not made for precision aiming. These pistols still have the milspec triggers too as the CMCs have not arrived. I concentrated on breathing and squeezing perfectly and was rewarded with the pic below. This 3 shot group is on a 2.5” circle, I didnt measure it but it’s close and much much smaller than the dot covers at this distance.

I am so so happy with every aspect of these. They worked 100% with not one hiccup. They were no louder than the 16” ARs with A2 flash hiders I also brought and honestly these dammm thangs are scary tools out to anywhere I can see well enough to put a dot on something. The PWS CQB comps really make the blast go down range, it isn’t hype.

I aint bragging on my shooting, my old eyes even in my RX Costas are not like a young man’s. I am bragging on these builds as meeting EVERY criteria I desired. I won’t change a thing once the CMC triggers go in them.

The $9.99 36” bags arrived today and the 2 gray pistols are in the vehs in bags with 5 full Pmags each. I feel very good about them being in the vehs. The green one is beside my bed with 40 rnd Pmag in it and will be a great tool in the house or the yard. I am actually struggling to see why/what the role of the 16” ARs is now LOL, they do have 1-4x scopes and will do much more at distance but for general purpose....these pistols have my respect in spades.

Viva La PSA and Viva La Romeo 5!

2.5” circle from 43 yards benched on bags with Romeo 5 RDS

D360FCBE-0506-4169-A23E-5C3F5CDDC966.jpeg

Dec 20, 2017
My little review of the PSA 10.5 pistols:

I went out to my cousin’s farm and sighted in the pistols with Federal M193. I started at 20 yards to get on paper and then set everything up from the shooting bench at exactly 43 yards per my software’s MPBR in a 4” target size.

Close zero of 43 yards means it will shoot inside a 4” circle out to 260 yards or so assuming around 2650 MV. Now of course with the dot of this red dot optic being 2 MOA and having no magnification this is all “potential” in a perfect world with a perfect shot being executed. In the real world, after today, I feel very confident in the 3 pistols’ abitilities and my own as a 48 year old with 48 year old eyes to hit a man sized target as far as I can see well enough to make him out.

After getting them aprox 1.5” low on paper at 20 yards I moved back to the bench at 43 yards. After a few adjustments the magic started happening. These things will shoot y’all, they shoot well.

I was drawing 2.5” circles with a big magic marker and coloring them in as targets. This gave me a good solid dot to aim at with a little outside the red aiming point to verify being centered. I slowly worked with each of the 3 to get them printing well inside 2” and then adjusted the rear Iron sights to be cented on the dots and continued to shoot.

I lowered the power on the intensity to get a fine crisp red aiming point for the last few targets and was cowitnessing through the rear Magpul sights. I was VERY happy with the results of tight groups and no indication of wandering or even ammo inconsistency.

The last 3 shot group I shot, I really did everything possible to do my best. Remember this dot covers a good portion of the 2.5” target and dots are not made for precision aiming. These pistols still have the milspec triggers too as the CMCs have not arrived. I concentrated on breathing and squeezing perfectly and was rewarded with the pic below. This 3 shot group is on a 2.5” circle, I didnt measure it but it’s close and much much smaller than the dot covers at this distance.

I am so so happy with every aspect of these. They worked 100% with not one hiccup. They were no louder than the 16” ARs with A2 flash hiders I also brought and honestly these dammm thangs are scary tools out to anywhere I can see well enough to put a dot on something. The PWS CQB comps really make the blast go down range, it isn’t hype.

I aint bragging on my shooting, my old eyes even in my RX Costas are not like a young man’s. I am bragging on these builds as meeting EVERY criteria I desired. I won’t change a thing once the CMC triggers go in them.

The $9.99 36” bags arrived today and the 2 gray pistols are in the vehs in bags with 5 full Pmags each. I feel very good about them being in the vehs. The green one is beside my bed with 40 rnd Pmag in it and will be a great tool in the house or the yard. I am actually struggling to see why/what the role of the 16” ARs is now LOL, they do have 1-4x scopes and will do much more at distance but for general purpose....these pistols have my respect in spades.

Viva La PSA and Viva La Romeo 5!

2.5” circle from 43 yards benched on bags with Romeo 5 RDS

View attachment 6978968
My PSA build has stood toe to toe w/ my LMT and both Noveskes.

Lawless

New Hide Member
Feb 11, 2018
NC
Switched hand guards on the 16” carbines to SL, now have SL on all 6 ARs we own, they just feel “right” in your hand. Don’t poo poo the grip pod, run 100 yards and flop down and engage some 2-300 yard targets and you will quickly understand their value.

These 2 identical carbines I have owned for 10 years and are old school FN Chrome lined PSA stuff with MPI chrome lined BCGs. Have never missed a beat. One of the SWFA SSHD 1-4s I bought new years ago, found the other one new in the box for a great price a while back.

2B998707-E2CE-4FB7-9E6B-070C181148B4.jpeg F4406F43-1EA3-4A4D-B9AE-70A13E77B2C1.jpeg

Last edited:

Lawless

New Hide Member
Feb 11, 2018
NC
My PSA build has stood toe to toe w/ my LMT and both Noveskes.
I know people post sometimes that they have problems, but I have had nothing but 100% perfect function and surprising accuracy from every one. I bet including all of my friends and family we have 30 between us and all are great.

Mr. Zick

Small Arms Artillery
Feb 20, 2017
Wisconsin
Triggers are in them now, CMC flat 3.5lb, I have them in every AR I own now (6).

Black Friday I got these 3 for 89.95 at PA.

View attachment 6978971 View attachment 6978972
I’ll bite, I need one (or two). What’s the total ballpark build cost of something like this, assuming I wait for sales and all that? I saw the sale on optic for $200. Other than that I don’t know nuthin about gas gun pricing. I only own one and bought it used from the px as a precision rig.

Lawless

New Hide Member
Feb 11, 2018
NC
I’ll bite, I need one (or two). What’s the total ballpark build cost of something like this, assuming I wait for sales and all that? I saw the sale on optic for $200. Other than that I don’t know nuthin about gas gun pricing. I only own one and bought it used from the px as a precision rig.
The RDS are on sale at PSA for $119

I bought the nitride kits at PSA for $259 ea
PSA Receivers for $39 ea
Found SL handguards on sale for $19
Already had Streamlight ProTacs, but they can be $59 on sale sometimes
Triggers were Black Friday $89
Slings ebay $11
Got Magpul sights for $37 on sale
PWS CQB comps were $79 on sale (worth it on shorties)
Magpul cantilever light mounts like $15
Magpul sling mounts like $20
Sig Romeo 5s were $129 when I bought em but PSA has em $119 right now.

A lot of it was free shipping.

I built 2 gray ones for the vehicles and caught PA’s sale on 36” rifle bags for $9.99 and put them in the vehs with 5 Pmags ea.

OD one is my new house gun.

I am seriously thrilled with their performance. If you go look, get the nitride kits not the phosphate, same price which is now $269 I think. Out of all the colors I have owned, the gray is my favorite and Magpul gray matches KAK gray perfectly. The OD is super close and I am very happy with all 3.

I never would have thought a pistol setup would become my favorite AR but I think I’m there. Fast to the shoulder and just so maneuverable, great weapons.

rob203

New Hide Member
Jan 23, 2018
One of a pair, Pre 1990 lower (welcome to the Constitution state), DD MK12 upper, XLR stock, JPS silent spring, Knight's Armament dual stage 3.5 lb trigger, Atlas bipod, cheap Primary Arms scope and equally cheap Burris mount (also have Steiner m536 sight)
dd1.JPG
dd2.JPG

Lawless

New Hide Member
Feb 11, 2018
NC
Final guns to get lights. I have 2 identical like this (every gun we have has a twin, his and hers). Added ProTac HL3s to them. Now every defensive firearm we own has a Streamlight on it.

9E169BE8-024E-4F58-98CA-4FFD31BD7356.jpeg C56432B5-4A54-482A-82EE-2E4FCEF0479C.jpeg