The AR15 Picture Thread

Forgetful Coyote

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 13, 2011
Georgia
Only the best for me. I know, it's pathetic, but a cheap buzz. That with the McCafe coffee, I figure they deserve one another. :)
Anywho, is that one have the SOCOM medium contour barrel? Hows it shoot? You ought to throw a Daniel Defense rail on there and Surefire 3 or 4 prong to do a M4A1 Block 2 clone ;)

Centuriator

Let's go blowing
Banned !
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
I should have mentioned that I had only one of a very few negative experiencs at my private gun club, members only.

So, the Steel Plate shooting crowd was out doing their weekend match and they always take five of our wonderful outdoors shooting combat pits.

I set up, first open pit, next to their first stage.

I start my M4 drills, warming up then moving over to double-taps on a torso target, I empty my last mag and turn around to find one of the steel plate shooter guys literally glaring at me. I say to him, "Good morning, something I can help you with?" He said, "That's pretty loud." And I said, "Yes, it is, ain't it great? How about you just go back to your steel target shooting?" He walked away.

Idiots.

Steel plate competitions are fun, but these morons think that because they can put a round on a large steel plate at 15 yards they are somehow shooting NINJAs. LOL.

Whatever.

I put another 600 rounds downrange fully satisfying my monthly drill standard with my AR and then went home. Enjoying the fact that I was upsetting the FUDDS.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: nikonNUT

whoreable

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 28, 2010
I should have mentioned that I had only one of a very few negative experiencs at my private gun club, members only.

So, the Steel Plate shooting crowd was out doing their weekend match and they always take five of our wonderful outdoors shooting combat pits.

I set up, first open pit, next to their first stage.

I start my M4 drills, warming up then moving over to double-taps on a torso target, I empty my last mag and turn around to find one of the steel plate shooter guys literally glaring at me. I say to him, "Good morning, something I can help you with?" He said, "That's pretty loud." And I said, "Yes, it is, ain't it great? How about you just go back to your steel target shooting?" He walked away.

Idiots.

Steel plate competitions are fun, but these morons think that because they can put a round on a large steel plate at 15 yards they are somehow shooting NINJAs. LOL.

Whatever.

I put another 600 rounds downrange fully satisfying my monthly drill standard with my AR and then went home. Enjoying the fact that I was upsetting the FUDDS.

:)

did you have that blunt in your mouth like Walter from big lebowski lol

Princess_Jamie

Nomad
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2017
Eotech HHS1 setup, standard military M4 matech buis, m4 style carbine barrel setup (7 twist), Midwest industries free float handguard to use in existence with front sight post (I'm a big fan of fixed front sights), binary trigger, Magpul Moe OD furniture (same furniture I took to Afghanistan and installed on my issues M4).

Attachments

slodsm

Private
Belligerents
Jun 1, 2009
Fort Worth Texas
www.google.com
My garage built plinker. Just swapped barrels because I wasn’t happy with the accuracy of the other and I’m about to load up a bunch of 69gr SMK’s over varget and see if I can find something it like at magazine length.

Spikes upper and lower.
Rise Armament 434 trigger.
Strike industries red goodies all over the lower (like my 5th AR I’ve covered in this stuff, I just like the red hahaha).
Luth Ar stock and buffer tube.
Midwest Industries tree float 15” Mloc rail.
BCM low profile gas block.
White Oak 18” 3 gun 2.5 profile barrel.
Timber Creek or someone’s Comp (el cheap).
The scope is literally my toolbox whore scope. It goes on every thing while I decide how much money I actually want to spend on an optic because I’m indecisive as hell and will read for 2 months before picking one and a mount.

I ran 350 rounds through the old bbl and it just wouldnt shoot anything mag length. I could single feed 75gr ELDM’s that were long as hell and touching the lands but nothing else so try try again.

3C9C92D9-B3D5-4A1B-B994-95E6A62BDA41.jpeg
0C26EF69-8763-4C53-83B0-D670A6A7EEC3.jpeg

Phiddy

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2019
Here are my latest two.

Black/orange - Fortis billet matched receiver set, Faxon gunner 20" barrel, fail zeros BCG, CMC single stage trigger, Timber creek furniture, Odin Works Zulu stock
Camo - Aero Precision forged receiver set and handguard in Arid desert camo ceracoat by Blowndeadline, Criterion fluted SS 20" barrel, Faxon BCG, CMC single stage trigger, Hogue grip and stock.
IMG_0956.jpgIMG_0957.jpg

lord of war619

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 10, 2012
maricopa, Az
How do you like the scope?

I was looking at those (and still kinda want one since it looks proper). I got a NF 3.5-15 for my Mod 1 build based one pic of it in the wild. Close enough for now.
its nice, I could have done with out the lines on the side but I wanted the correct scope

rpoL98

USA
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2017
USA
AR I built.

I'm jealous of everyone's photography skills, haha
looks good, looks like it works darn good, judging from that hunk of port that it's leaning against. My only other comment is that your scope mount doesn't look to robust, but as long as it works and holds zero...

RedKnight

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2019
looks good, looks like it works darn good, judging from that hunk of port that it's leaning against. My only other comment is that your scope mount doesn't look to robust, but as long as it works and holds zero...
$40 scope mount that has been hauled around and bounced around in a janky mule 4 wheeler for the past 2 years. Continues to hold its 0 pretty well. I was just walking around the property when it pops out of the tall grass 20 yrds in front of me and takes a step towards me. Dropped with a quick forehead shot and helped feed my wedding guests last month.

Reactions: AMGtuned

Mr. Zick

Peanut Gallery
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Wisconsin
Were you out deer hunting? I was out one day and had a fat little bastard causing so much noise right behind my head that I thought long and hard about squirrel for dinner over deer...
Nope just stacking this years green pile. That rifle stays in the truck.

nikonNUT

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2019
Arkansas
Just a Springer Saint I found on sale. Threw the spare TriggerTech AR Diamond in it and slapped a Vortex SparcAR on it (birthday gift today). I think it should serve the purpose.

PBWalsh

Isaiah 40:25-31
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
@Lawless

How has that Athlon held up? I like their specs for the price but keep turning to the SWFA 1-4 non-hd to fill that role at the price. Any comparison?

Role is to be atop of my wife’s 16”, basic AR. How is the illumination. I’d get her a RDS but she has an astigmatism so its a no go.

Lawless

Carbine is life
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
NC
@Lawless

How has that Athlon held up? I like their specs for the price but keep turning to the SWFA 1-4 non-hd to fill that role at the price. Any comparison?

Role is to be atop of my wife’s 16”, basic AR. How is the illumination. I’d get her a RDS but she has an astigmatism so its a no go.
The Athlon Argos BTR 1-4FFP mil/mil is a good deal for what I paid, about $225. It is very bright and the reticle is almost as useful as my SWFA 1-4HD scopes which is to say awesome. FFP and a well designed reticle work double duty, red dotish on 1x and usable mil reticle on 4x. My SWFAs are FFP as well, the one you’re mentioning is not.

Athlon 1-4 reticle below

B17B4255-3A70-4178-AFD1-A7702D55C094.jpeg

Nothing but good to say about my FFP SWFA 1-4s but the cheaper SFP one they have now just isn’t as useful to me. The 1-6 they have now is awesome and the reticle is similar to my 1-4HDs but unless on sale are $1000 and I can’t spend that for a plastic 22.

Most cheaper low power scopes will be much brighter than cheaper high power scopes so I’m not saying that this one is magic, just that it is fantastic for the price (normal price is 300, I caught a sale) for my trainer and would work on a 5.56 fine.

It is really the only “inexpensive“ FFP mil/mil LPVO I know of or that mimics my SWFA 1-4HDs reticles.

The power ring turns easily and if a small nit, it isnt 1x on 1x, it is more like 0.85x. I can get it to 1x by putting it on about 1.25 or so on the ring. The illumination is poor. Definitely not daylight bright but in low light is useful. I will try another battery on this to be sure.

The eye box is very easy to get behind and it is quite clear. I set the focus and I really have been amazed with how good it looks for how little it cost me.

So I need to sight it in, I just mounted it this week so no durability report yet but I don‘t plan on dropping it from my roof. This gun has shown to be very consistent even with a RDS so it should be able to do some squirrel duty now that I have the 4x option. The main thing is now I can train with it to get my eye in the box correctly. My go-to guns are LPVO, need to train more now so I miss less later.

PBWalsh

Isaiah 40:25-31
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
Thank you for the review. Definitely going to show her this and the SWFA for consideration. Really wish they still made the HD 1-4. Really like the SWFA brand, even if they are a bit dated.

My 1-6 I used to have was great, but I feel I lacked speed up close with it. For a DMR/SPR scope I think it’d be awesome. Also kinda heavy at 22.1 oz. for a fast carbine. Slowed down the rifle.

Edit: Looks like the Athlon is discontinued.

Last edited:

Lawless

Carbine is life
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
NC
Edit: Looks like the Athlon is discontinued
Better snag one.

Doug had some I believe.

They will probably come out with a newer design like the Helos LPVO with lower more modern turrets and such.

Lawless

Carbine is life
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
NC
My 1-6 I used to have was great, but I feel I lacked speed up close with it. For a DMR/SPR scope I think it’d be awesome. Also kinda heavy at 22.1 oz. for a fast carbine. Slowed down the rifle.
Definitely requires repetitive training to get fast going into the right position.

We had a great thread here about the differences not long ago. If I was in a very urban area a dot makes the most sense. In the sticks we need magnification because we are far more likely to need to pop a yote than clear a room. The weight is a small price for what it offers, at least to me.