Switch Barrel Set Up Pros and Cons

reubenski

First Sergeant
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah the rings of the BarLoc have a flat face that shoulder up against the barrel and action. The opposing side, that faces the BarLoc, is conical, so as you apply torque they expand putting the system in tension. It is a compounding effect as only 90in-lbs on the BarLoc will require greater than 90in-lbs with an action wrench to get the action off.

I gusss I could try lower torque settings and see if the repeatability improves.

I really like the ease of the system. It literally takes longer to change the bolt face or load up a .223 mag than to change the barrel.

Like I said previously those results were only over three range trips in which quanlifying the BarLoc was not really the objective of the day. I’ll update the review when I have more data.
when you unscrew the barrel, dies the barloc stay in the recoil lug pocket or come off with the barrel? Do you have a barloc per barrel? Or do you use the same barloc for multiple barrels?

flyer

Sergeant of the Hide
Apr 25, 2018
I think your return to zero variation was caused by barrel timing, not torque differences.

A dirty bolt face or chamber might cause a 5-10° difference in timing if you're using only a headspace gauge for installation which is why I want to use witness marks and/or a timing jig to get timing the same every time.

Apr 24, 2017
Hoover, Alabama
I think your return to zero variation was caused by barrel timing, not torque differences.

A dirty bolt face or chamber might cause a 5-10° difference in timing if you're using only a headspace gauge for installation which is why I want to use witness marks and/or a timing jig to get timing the same every time.
I am using witness marks on both sides of the barrel referencing the chassis. See below link for setup and review

ARC Shouldered BarLoc review

Ledzep

Chancellor
Jun 9, 2009
Black Hills
I got +/- 0.2 mil or so for rtz with my shouldered Barloc setup using witness marks. I plan to get a small torque wrench and test it further later this summer. I was just going hand tight with a 4mm hex screwdriver attachment.

Barrel nut version of the barloc was much pickier. From almost nothing to 2 mils depending on where the nut clocked.

Apr 24, 2017
Hoover, Alabama
I got +/- 0.2 mil or so for rtz with my shouldered Barloc setup using witness marks. I plan to get a small torque wrench and test it further later this summer. I was just going hand tight with a 4mm hex screwdriver attachment.

Barrel nut version of the barloc was much pickier. From almost nothing to 2 mils depending on where the nut clocked.
What are you using for your witness marks? I am using a paint pen, so there is certainly some uncertainty in that. I am using a craftman torque wrench, so I am surprised your results are better just using the hand tight method. What calibers?

Ledzep

Chancellor
Jun 9, 2009
Black Hills
I set an initial zero, then removed the barrel, replaced it, fired 3 rounds, removed the barrel, replaced it, fired 3 rounds, etc... for 15 rounds with the same POA for every shot. The total group of smaller 3-round groups was about .6 mils wide, and round. That particular rifle typically shoots .15-.2 mils for a 5-shot group.

So long story short, the center of my group is likely to move up to 0.2 mils from where it was in any given direction. I did not see a directional trend.

I have since swapped back and forth between the shouldered and lock-nut barrels a couple times, and while I haven't kept good notes, based on my zero-stop setting, that typical trend is holding true with the shouldered barrel. ( I had 1.0 mils "down" in reserve to hit the zero stop, for fudge factor, and keep between .8-1.3 or so every time I re-zero with the shouldered barrel).

Witness marks are sharpie dots on the stock showline. Calibers are 6.5 SAUM for the shouldered barrel, .260 rem for the savage prefit.

Sheldon N

Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut
Sep 24, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Just ordered a pair of Bighorn TL3 223 trainer barrels from Keystone Accuracy, one for me and one for a friend. Full shouldered barrels, don't need to send him my action. Sounds like leads times will be very short as well, since he does the barrel contouring in house and doesn't need to wait for a certain blank to come in.
Update, got my shipping notification today. Smoking fast turnaround. This included him getting the uncountoured blanks from his supplier, all turned around in 1 week.

Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Good thing your sense of humor seems to have been kept in check though.
Ya, you mentioned that before a couple of months ago that it's funny. Still trying to get there...
What does that even mean?

Is Ann Margaret not coming?

Did I just get a demerit?

Spotter60 Masterrace?
You're a nerd. Did you ever figure out how to reload for a 308 without dropping primers out of your brass?

Jan 25, 2010
Out West
Not even close Bro, I just remember you. I shot a match with you. You were a soup sandwich. Keep shooting that MRAD though...
Seeing as how I haven't shot a match since moving to Utah, please, enlighten me on where this match was, when it was and my name.

It wasn't me; so you need to get your shit straight. Plus, I wouldn't shoot a 308 through the MRAD at a match anyways.

So please, tell us, who am I and where was this match and when?

You're one of those jack off faggots that just makes shit up now, aren't you?

Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Seeing as how I haven't shot a match since moving to Utah, please, enlighten me on where this match was, when it was and my name.

It wasn't me; so you need to get your shit straight. Plus, I wouldn't shoot a 308 through the MRAD at a match anyways.

So please, tell us, who am I and where was this match and when?

You're one of those jack off faggots that just makes shit up now, aren't you?
Did you or do you live in the Denver area? Shoot at the Pikes Peak match two years ago with a Noveske 308 gas gun popping primers? I sold you some bullets in Castle Rock?

Top Bottom