Suppressor for gas gun - Sandman S or L? Others?

awpk03s

Private
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2017
Ohio
I want a .30 caliber suppressor for multi use on several AR platform rifles (5.56, 308, 6.5CM).

My primary interests are sound reduction, mounting options/simplicity/QD, and with a focus on reduced gas blowback (I am a left handed shooter using largely RH rifles). Uses would be hunting, informal targets/range use, and PRS/LR style matches.

I’ve been looking at Sandman S and L. I get the physical differences between the two, and presume the L is quieter.

Is it that simple? The differences between the two?

Is there another option I should also consider?

I have had a Larue Tranquilo on order for 3 months, and was told today it would be another 3-4 months - that’s before it ships to my FFL/SOT and when I can start the Form 4. I’m a little miffed and considering bailing for another suppressor option at this point, so interested in feedback from the community here.

Thanks-

Reactions: abn31c

loveha

SGT's OFP
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2018
NW Lower Michigan
Best thing to do is read and watch as much as you can on the two. I have the direct thread Sandman Ti in jail right now, and will be buying the S simply because it's shorter and articles say the tone on the S is better if I remember right.
Find it odd your form 4 won't start till three doesn't clear? I don't know to much about ordering cans. I just did mine through silencer shop and five days later can was shipped with check cashed by ATF 23 days after purchase.
To wait 6-8 months for form 4 submission then another 6-8 for approval is fucking nuts.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers

usmcmad

Private
Belligerents
Jun 3, 2017
It is that simple. The L is quieter. I don't think by a lot. The S works great across multiple AR platforms. I have one I use on 2 5.56 and a .308. Plus my bolt guns, .308 and 6.5CM. The L would be nice for the bolt gun. For an AR I think it would make any AR way too long and too front end heavy.

loveha

SGT's OFP
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2018
NW Lower Michigan
It is that simple. The L is quieter. I don't think by a lot. The S works great across multiple AR platforms. I have one I use on 2 5.56 and a .308. Plus my bolt guns, .308 and 6.5CM. The L would be nice for the bolt gun. For an AR I think it would make any AR way too long and too front end heavy.
This is the exact reason why I am buying an S and not the L. I got the Ti because I figured it would be a good all purpose can, but mainly going to be for a lightweight 300Blk suppressed SBR and a bolt gun I'm going to build this next year.
The S is going to be for 16" AR's and a 223 SBR.

BLDTYLRY

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 21, 2011
WA State
No replacement for displacement applies to silencers as well. Max suppression=L. Balance between suppression and length-S. Min length=K. There's a reason Dead Air offers 3 lengths in the QD model.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers

WtxShooter

Gun loving dad!
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2017
Lubbock, TX
Give me another few weeks,(hopefully), and I’ll tell you. Currently have the S and have an L that should be out of jail here in the next few weeks. Then I can safely tell ya for sure. Lol

WtxShooter

Gun loving dad!
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2017
Lubbock, TX
Give me another few weeks,(hopefully), and I’ll tell you. Currently have the S and have an L that should be out of jail here in the next few weeks. Then I can safely tell ya for sure. Lol

awpk03s

Private
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2017
Ohio
Thanks guys. I’m going to really have to think this over. I already have the Larue brake mounts that I would have to turn over and sell and try to recover some $ to fund replacing them all with the KeyMo mounts.

Anything else I choose is going to be a significant cost increase over the Larue price point of $400, but the timing is just getting a little ridiculous at this point.

awpk03s

Private
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2017
Ohio
Okay, I talked to Dead Air, they advised the S would be better for less gas blowback, and a couple dB louder than the L. Ultimately he recommended the S for what I described.

Reading some posts by other Larue buyers that are 6 months out, still waiting, and some that just shipped after 9 months.

Screw that.

Called up my local dealer, he’s got a Sandman S that he made me a good price on, and that’s the direction I’m going. Kick off my Form 4 in a couple days and cancel this black hole Larue order.