Summer = ticks an such

With the onset of warm weather the old natural bug repellent still works the best for me. Plus there are no side effects either.
Take 2 tablespoons of Organic raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar 2 X a day in 10-12oz of cold water for 4-5 days and 1 tablespoon straight before going into heavily infested areas and you should come out tick an bug free. Shake well before spooning/poring into the water. If going to the bush for more than 3-4 days treat your take a long water. I keep vinegar in a pint bottle if out for extended periods. I take this all the time an bugs get on everyone else but I'm bug free. Also this mix is good for many things, research it.

In heavy mosquito infested areas a dryer sheet whipped on all none covered skin, works for most folks as well. Only draw back is you smell dryer fresh for about 30 yds down wind, so take heed. Snuggle an Downy works best. Snakes do not like sulfur powder at all, which is why I also keep a small container of it with me. I'm not worried about snakes but have almost been killed by those who do. LOL

Aug 24, 2010
Northeast Wyoming
Got my first tick of the season last weekend here in eastern Virginia, of all things just cutting the grass and trimming some branches off the oaks before they came into leaf this spring. Fucker got me right on the cheek too, and I'm not talking about the one next to my pleasant smile either. I'm really hoping it's not a bad year for them, I hate running pesticides in the yard but will definitely go that route versus having to worry about the little ones getting tick bites and potentially getting sick just from playing on the tree swing.

You can spray the area with a Vinegar mix, many recipes on the net. The bad thing is after a rain it has to be done again, but to me that's better than anything with Deet or other stuff on the kids. I've used Vinegar in the last rinse in the washing machine it works but, not as well as ingesting it. Kids will not like drinking it at all, but the colder the water the easier it goes down. Spraying the clothes just before they go out works, but the clothes will fade over time.

Jun 27, 2010
oHIo
I use and like Listerine, the gold colored mouth wash.
Put it in a spray bottle and spray anywhere you don't want to have chiggers and ticks.
Works great, try it.

Aug 23, 2010
Panhandle north Idaho
With the onset of warm weather the old natural bug repellent still works the best for me. Plus there are no side effects either.
Take 2 tablespoons of Organic raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar 2 X a day in 10-12oz of cold water for 4-5 days and 1 tablespoon straight before going into heavily infested areas and you should come out tick an bug free. Shake well before spooning/poring into the water. If going to the bush for more than 3-4 days treat your take a long water. I keep vinegar in a pint bottle if out for extended periods. I take this all the time an bugs get on everyone else but I'm bug free. Also this mix is good for many things, research it.

In heavy mosquito infested areas a dryer sheet whipped on all none covered skin, works for most folks as well. Only draw back is you smell dryer fresh for about 30 yds down wind, so take heed. Snuggle an Downy works best. Snakes do not like sulfur powder at all, which is why I also keep a small container of it with me. I'm not worried about snakes but have almost been killed by those who do. LOL
I consume at least 3 TBSP of ACV w/mother everyday for my diet. Thats good to know, when I go out in the woods Ill take some more with me. Thanks for the heads up!

Feb 13, 2017
I got bit by a tick a while back, now if I eat medium rare or less cooked beef I break out in hives.. Even cooked beef seems to upset my stomach if I eat a lot of it. It sucks!

Feb 13, 2017
I would die... that sucks. Is this a complication of lymes disease?
I am not sure because I don't have any of the other issues.. Energy is still good, no chronic pain, and I can eat elk, venison, or pork ( all considered Red meats) and I have no issues.. I should probably get that checked out.

Aug 27, 2010
Central PA
I recently bought some clothing with permethrin impregnated... I picked off 2 last week and we'll see if it makes a difference.

I've also bought some picaridin 20% spray that's supposed to be good stuff and LEO spray for the kids and wife in the backyard.

Ticks here in PA are no joke and I know a few friends with Lyme's. I am trying to take extra steps to stay safe w/o giving my self cancer in the process.

An oldtimer in the oil patch told me to take a flee and tick collar for dogs and put it around ur boots
I would avoid this, i've seen some photos from preventetive medicine where soldiers had done this going into Iraq and Afghanistan and they had some horrible rashes and skin ailments cause their sweat interacted and the stuff leached through their boots. in fact here is an article.... https://www.stripes.com/news/flea-c...ugs-health-officials-warn-1.4637#.WW-QLjOB1sY

RoterJager

The Red Hunter
Oct 21, 2013
The Frozen Tundra
I am not sure because I don't have any of the other issues.. Energy is still good, no chronic pain, and I can eat elk, venison, or pork ( all considered Red meats) and I have no issues.. I should probably get that checked out.
You should.

There is a different disease that causes that. The name escapes me right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2017
Stay safe out there folks, my red meat allergy is a direct result of a tick bite that went untreated. Literally I cannot eat ribeye, filet, prime rib, or anything like it unless it is completely well done.. And even then sometimes I have a reaction. It is no fun at all!

Spblademaker

Don’t tell my wife
Oct 24, 2017
We had weeks of freezing weather here and those damn tick bastards were still found on the dog. Lake was thick enough to drive on and they’re still a problem.

Bradu

Aug 24, 2011
IL
Thanks for some different ideas to try. I like being in the timber but last year I got covered in seed ticks and that really sucks

Permethrin is really the best deterrent against ticks. I spend a lot of time in the woods during bug months, and I use permethrin on everything but my skivvies. So socks, t shirt, cammies, gloves and hat all get sprayed, as well as the inside and outside of my boots. Last year, one of my buddies ended up with 15+ on each ankle after about 8 hours out in the woods. I had four dead ticks between my socks and boots. It works.

Mar 26, 2006
The meat allergy is an alpha gal reaction. I dread this more than most other diseases. It is carried by the lone star tick.

Growing up in Michigan I didn't see a tick until I was 20. Here in Indiana they are a scourge.

Mar 31, 2014
Michigan
Permethrin spray on clothes and I duct tape my jeans pant legs tight to and overlap tape onto my boots. Wear light colored soon sleeve shirts and keep looking and asking buddies to check your back often.

Mar 29, 2013
Wisconsin
Mice, rabbits, squirrels are were the ticks start and get brought into the yard. They make permethrin impregnated cotton to use around your house and yard. Rodents use it to make nests and it kills the ticks on them. Said to be pretty effective. Ticks can't handle direct sunlight for long. They will dry out and die. They need leaf litter or ground mat to collect moisture before the climb up on the grass or sticks. Keeping lawn wowed short helps around the house.

SLG

Gunny Sergeant
Sep 2, 2009
I've never heard of the apple cider trick. You said to take it twice a day for 4-5 days. Does that mean it takes 4-5 days to build up enough to start working? I assume you can't stop drinking it after 4-5 days, or you wouldn't need to bring some with you when out for extended periods.

Jul 4, 2017
NE
I got my first bite of the season last weekend; I had probably a dozen crawling on me and the one that bit was in my belly button. I pulled the tick and now it's a little swollen and barely pink. I've used Melaluca (Tea Tree oil) on it to hopefully keep any infection down. I had been drinking ACV for a LONG time prior, but got lazy and hadn't had any in a few days prior to going out in the bush. On a different note, I've heard that lemongrass oil and peppermint oil with some iso alcohol in a spray bottle is the ticket to keeping them and the skeeters away. Anyone else hear of this?

whatsupdoc

Duck season
Dec 12, 2017
Long Island NY
Had one bite me last year removed it put it in a medicine bottle, went to the doctor and had it tested, it tested positive for Lyme. I was also tested twice and came up negative.

So after a long walk in the park today I go to the toilet and as I am sitting there I see a tick walking on my leg.
FuKer.

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Aug 10, 2001
Arizona, good place for me...
If you keep cats, be careful with Permethrin. I put some in the the washer during rinse; the dryer makes it safer for the cats.

I have used the Flea/Tick collar around my knees and ankles, have been using them for decades, picked it up as a Scouting Leader. The active ingredient can be sickening at full strength; I open and stretch the collar to activate it, then put it up on the mantle for a week or so before wearing it.

Mint drives the cats and dogs a little nuts. Some mints are toxic, some significantly, for cats. I will try the Listerine Spray.

My Brother had a quintuple heart bypass, but came out fine because they did it before significant heart damage occurred.

The next deer season he came down with Lyme's, it attacked his heart, and he became seriously handicapped. When I see him, I get to see what my own condition will probably be like ten years from now (if I make it that far).

Greg

Last edited:

Mooncake

Sergeant of the Hide
May 29, 2018
Central Mountains, CO
This thread is making me itchy. Mostly wood ticks in my AO, the big ones. I find them on me, the kids, and especially the dog occasionally. They go straight into the wood stove. Fkers deserve a terrible death.

The most useable piece of info in this thread for me is the trick with the permethrin impregnated cotton. We have a hundred ground squirrels of different species running around (that my wife won't let me pop with the 22) and I know that's where the ticks come from. I'm looking into that right now.

Top Bottom