Strongest .22lr bolt action

AZgeek

Private
Belligerents
Sep 30, 2014
I hear ya. Testing out of as may types of rifles as possible can help identify a rounds shortcomings. We will improve on it!

AZgeek

Private
Belligerents
Sep 30, 2014
Well another shitty weather day that impacted my results. As luck had it, had to deal with a storm blowing through as I settled in to testing. Dark clouds over this project seems to be the norm!

Couple of verified data points:
  • Factory loads - My Savage B22 Compact clearly likes CCI Velocitors the best
  • My Savage B22 Compact clearly shoots the GDS HV better than the LV version
  • The Anschutz 54 does not shoot either GDS versions very well
I'm going to focus only on the HV version for the next round of testing. While I was moving around between guns and the LV vs HV, it substantiates my findings at 65 yards:

Rather than packing it up due to the bad conditions I decided to stretch things out to about 140 yards, only shooting the Savage and only shooting the HV rounds comparing them to the factory CCI Velocitors. Wind was bad in a 90 degree left to right direction clearly shown by the CCI's:

After sifting through all the initial v2 target results, grouping appears to fall into these ranges in edge-to-edge in inches:

50 to 53 yards 0.88 - 1.61
63 to 65 yards 1.70 - 2.02
100 to 118 yards 2.05 - 2.70
140 yards 6.25 (3.59 w/o flyers)

The final builds and testing of version 2a HV will commence this week. Really hoping I can get some relief from the wind next outing. The final 2a test rounds will include the following:

• No reused, pulled bullets
  • Lighter application of wax
  • Revised crimp
Testing distances will be at 50, 100 and 150 yards.

Attachments

AZgeek

Private
Belligerents
Sep 30, 2014
Been a while since my last update as a result of my testing screw-up early on with version 2a. Long story.....

The main issue was that pure lead, with minimal exposed sabot, did not meet the minimum penetration distance of 50 yards for soft body armor. We also wanted to caveat the body armor test results based on some (not all) of real world variables. Some pictures and explanations included below. Version 2a did however pass penetration tests on sloped windshield glass and car doors tests but we wanted to retain more mass after going through car doors for example; another contributing factor for the change.

What we now have is Version 2b - a 33.8 to 34.0 grain alloy bullet with greater sabot exposure:

I may have also figured out the root cause of the “flyers” previously documented. It will not take much time to prove or disprove my theory. Also, crimp strength is no longer an issue!

The body armor retesting was extensive. Two pictures to illustrate our findings. The first is the result of a fully secured 3a vest. Smoked it at 53 years. 2 for 2:

Same test but with a level 2a but NOT properly secured:

The lower two shots penetrated as the bottom of the vest was secured under the weight of the clay. The flop at the top produced mixed results even with a lesser grade vest. Should have also done an angled test but this proves there is variability just from how a vest might be secured to one's body.

Thought I had found a source for primed, virgin brass and purchased 2k pieces. Tested it this week. Epic fail and unusable for my purposes. Without a brass source, there is no way to commercialize this as a product. With the bullet composition finslized, I can concentrate on the brass search and the accurizing of this version at my leisure.

So my pet project is nearing its end. There will not be a Version 3 as there is little more to be derived or understood as it related to this POC. The work here has proved what we at GDS already knew was possible. If work continues, it will be predicated on winning a military contract for which we are securely in the running!

I’ll know more in early August.

AZ out.

Kickin45

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2018
I am always so freakin excited to see your new posts @AZgeek
I wish I still lived in AZ, I’d come visit and offer any help (not much, maybe just beer) that I was able to.
I want to run some of these loads so bad. I think the question may have been asked but I can’t find the post.
Are these loads going to be safe for pistols?And also for 22lr suppressors, specifically the Sparrow? Thanks

AZgeek

Private
Belligerents
Sep 30, 2014
Just beer is always welcome! Part of the version 2b development included a transition to another type of pulled brass. I went from Federal Premium Match (which is way too expensive to just to pull apart) to the non-powder charged Aguila Colibri. Cheaper and maybe a tad safer to disassemble.

Found out the hard way that not all brass & paste is created equal. Had one blow out part of my magazine clip and bounce up from the table into my face. Stung a bit but no broken skin. What's the old saying "always fun until someone gets an eye knocked out" lol. Max load is now .2 grains lower. Still at a low 1700 fps level.

Here's a picture of the two types of pulled cases and the blown-out one. The Aguila has the red paste:

Thankfully this is the only mishap to date on this project. Still want to help?

To answer your question version 2a LV was shot through a friends suppressed rifle. Not a real test with just 10 round but all went well. He wants me to make him subsonic rounds and is happy to be the guinea pig tester for this end of the spectrum. Target velocity will be 1050 fps and I'll also re-test out of my own Sig P22 handgun.

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
Once you are all done and in production, what I'd love to do is get some of y our projectiles and try loading them for .22TCM and see how they do out of my pistols and rifle. 2000fps and 2700fps ish

AZgeek

Private
Belligerents
Sep 30, 2014
We just had an internal discussion about other calibers. Well it was really my bitch session about pursuing this in 22lr! In the end its all about the delivery system. 25 Auto or say a more modern caliber like .22TCM you mentioned don't have fully automatic, proven delivery systems for military use. .22TCM is a jacketed pistol bullet if memory serves me correctly. I've done extensive work prototyping and adapting jacketed bullets so this would not take much effort.

Anyway I'll stop rambling on about other platforms. Back two 22lr. @billmeek and I were chatting behind the scene about my flyer issue. My current theory is that its lube fouling from the Rooster lube I've been using since day one. Observations, patterns and velocity data from previous testing indicate i might be on the right track.

Clearly my projectiles do not mimic "normal" 22lr bullet designs. I have at least twice the bearing surface and no lube groves. On top of that, I'm pushing the velocity envelope. So with all that said I've come up with a new, two step lubrication method. I've tested each method independently so I kinda know what to expect. It produces a gray film that I hope will be much better suited for this application.

Coated vs. non-coated side-by-side:

We'll see what happens.

While this is all fun and games, Memorial Day is a solemn reminder that those who faced death and lived, and those who did not, made our fun possible. My deepest gratitude for those following who have served and condolences for your losses of fallen friends.