Strongest .22lr bolt action

Sep 30, 2014
Range Update - Initial velocity test results.

*** Reminder. This an R&D project! Loads exceed typical, safe production standards. Use with extreme caution! ***

Vit 3N37 Ladder Test:

2.2gr (1348, 1466) avg=1407 fps
2.4gr (1501, 1512) avg=1506 fps
2.6gr (1715, 1741) avg=1728 fps
2.8gr (1904 fps) * Bolt lift, stop!

TiteGroup (only one shot)

2.0gr (1794 fps) * Mild bolt lift

Bullets appear to fly straight out to 100 yards so good news on that front.

Nov 27, 2017
Hi,

@AZgeek
Is this what you are experiencing in regards to having to polish bearing surface??

The second obstacle is the .22 LR bullet itself. The .22 caliber bullets available to handloaders are unsuitable for .22 LR because the latter utilizes a heel base bullet; that is, the rear portion of the bullet is lesser in diameter than the forward, exposed portion of the bullet so that the heel fits inside the case. The exposed portion of the bullet is the same diameter is the .22 LR case and bore, .222,” whereas .22 caliber bullets for centerfire cartridges like the .223 Rem are .224” in diameter. Using such bullets in the .22 LR would cause the case to bulge so that it could not chamber, or if it did, the bullet would be .002” oversize for the bore.

Sincerely,
Theis

Sep 30, 2014
THEIS - No issues with the heel diameter and I can adjust its length to fit the need. As you surmised, the issue is with the exposed portion of the bullet. Yes, I'm about .002" over.

Sep 30, 2014
So figured this out. Got my swaging process to give me exact .2240 diameter bullets! I have a Plan B to get to .2230 if necessary. I'll load a bunch up and cycle check each one. Going to test at 2.6 & 2.7 grains of Vit 3N37. Hoping 2.7 gr. gets me over 1800 fps with no or very minimal bolt lift drag. Also going to finally sight in the rifle and shoot for groups at 50 yards with open sights at the same time. Should be able to get out Sunday morning for this next round of testing.

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
I have never heard of a source for primed 22 RF cases.
They're available if you have the pocket book and storage space, since most companies require a minimum order (somewhere around a million IIRC, back when I was dabbling in a lot of the same things that AZGeek is messing with). I ended up getting some primed cases, but it was a major hassle (long story, and one I'm not willing to put on the internet).

Last edited:

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
I liked this thread from the start.

AZ, I have a thought you might want to consider if you have not already.
I am sure not all rimfire cases are created equal. Have you considered testing for strength? I suspect some of the present Hyper velocity type rounds may be beefed up for high pressure. Stinger, Yellowjacket etc. At 1800 are you not just duplicating the Stinger round with a Sabot type bullet?
Thanks for sharing.

RTH
Ultimately, all current .22LR cases, and the related strength of the case, is limited to the brass itself. The case is the weakest link. You could draw cases to form thicker brass, but then you will have ignition issues, as the rim will be thicker, requiring more force to crush the rim for primer ignition (annealing will only get you so far). I don't recall off the top of my head the standard brass stock thickness used (I'd have to go dig through some old files), but it is pretty much the standard across the industry, regardless of manufacturer. In theory, you could draw a tapered case, but then you still have the same problem, as the rim will then be the weakest part of the case (can you say, ruptured case head?).

Stinger cases being longer get around some of this by using a slightly slower powder blend and a lighter bullet. The cases otherwise are the same thickness as the normal .22LR, and also have to meet SAAMI max pressure specs IIRC (if only for liability reasons).

Last edited:

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
Hi,

@AZgeek

In terms of military applications, specifically the R&D sector for 22LR.....have you contacted the Israeli embassy and asked to speak with the Military Attache about such R&D/T&E? He can point you to the proper personnel within IDF that handles their 22LR counter-terrorism sniper program. Those guys are probably the most advanced 22LR T&E personnel in the world when it comes to "military applications".
They have a sniper "MOS" that is pretty much strictly 22LR usage :)

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions in regards to above.

Sincerely,
Theis
Indeed. I worked with a company that filled several custom orders of ammunition to them for very specific purposes. Pretty eye opening on some of the intended applications (sentry dog elimination comes immediately to mind, for one).

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
They are light years ahead of all but one 3 letter group on this rock, when it comes to a 22lr an eliminating 2 legged vermin.

OP
If your looking for speed an punching ability use a 22 cal pellet pushed via a Remington A22C4, but many bolt actions will not stand that combo. The Savage 93 an Remington 541 will, but DO NOT use that combo any semi auto or any pistol at all.
Not sure about the 93, but the 541/581 will absolutely handle excess pressure of a .22LR. Same action used for the 591 (5mm Rem Mag), so it is a pretty beefy design. Thick receiver walls and a double set of lugs (6 total).

Sep 30, 2014
I can confirm from my first hand testing that the case rim is the weak link. Getting ready to re-test using the CCI Stinger brass as rth1800 suggested. My problem with the OD being too large was the result me gently tapping in of our sabot! I wanted it snug by design but had no idea until this week it was a self-inflicted problem due to the soft lead. Aggravating to say the least!

Top Bottom