Stock or Chassis Advice

FlatwaterArmory

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2019
OH
Hey Hide,

Question I was hoping to get some input on from others...

In the process of building a rifle, going to use it for both some local clubs matches (newbie...just starting) and also hunting. Barrels spun up in 6Creed and 300WSM, for their own applications for a Bighorn TL3. Eventually I'll end up with 2 rifles so my next question will eventually be a moot point...but until then...

What do I run...Manners CS2 or MPA Hybrid folder? How do you guys feel a CS2 would do for local match shooting? How do you feel the MPA Hybrid would do for hunting?

For hunting, I'm less concerned with weight...not a 6lb rifle guy, (I don't want a 15lb rifle either). But I want something compact and easy to throw on my pack and carry in. Easy to fly with in a smaller case, etc.

So...do I go with a CS2 that's more compact and better suited to packing in for a hunt and then figure out what I want for a match stock/chassis when I go with rifle #2? Do I run the MPA knowing its probably not the best for hunting and then get a stock/chassis (like a CS2) more fit for a hunting application?

Which crosses over the best?

Or do I just order a PRS and use it for both? Interested in thoughts and experiences from you all.

Floglock

Lightly carbonated, serve chilled
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
Earth
The Manners Eh1A is a great “all-around” stock if that’s what you’re looking for.

FlatwaterArmory

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2019
OH
Thanks, I’ll take a look at that one too. The EH1A comes as a folder also if I remember right...might fit the bill.

Covertnoob5

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Feb 12, 2017
SoCal
I found myself in a similar situation, I think first it really depends on the contours your getting. I have several barrels for my vector action. But for match use I use a 26” mtu contour and for hunting a sendero lite proof CF 6.5 prc. I like to use the same action, chassis, scope, etc. so currently I’m doing an MDT ACC with all the weights and it’s nice and heavy for comps then I strip all the weights and it’s around 14lbs for hunting.
If you want to go a little lighter you could do the MPA hybrid with the weight kit and just add or remove on usage.
I also had a manners prs1 that was really nice, but with the elite fill it was just too light for comps. If you get a stock that’s not weight adjustable I’d personally look at something around 4lbs.
But again a lot of this depends on barrel contour.

ETA: I think a great option would be the krg bravo with their weight options. You can get it decently heavy for match stuff, then lighten it up for hunting.

FlatwaterArmory

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2019
OH
Thanks Covert. Contours are M24 or the 6mm and Sendero for the 300WSM.

I like your thinking about weight adjustment...which is why I was including the Hybrid since I could move weight up or down. I just didn’t know how it would be to use regularly in a hunting application. I’ve used an MDT chassis on a hunt and liked it, so I’m not opposed to going that route for sure.

Really appreciate reading the experiences of others!

Travis224

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 7, 2010
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I've had alot of the various stocks and chassis out there. Manners PRS1, T4A, some other manners variant, XLR, KRG, and MPA. All those are good, but to me the MPA chassis were the most well thought out and comfortable chassis of all the ones I tried. I have 3 folding versions and all lock tight and for all around shooting give me the best results. I've been selling off all the others and now have 5 MPAs, with one on the way. Hands down, my favorite.

Attachments

MDT_Josh

C/S and Design
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2018
Chilliwack, BC
mdttac.com
Just as a side note, the ACC now comes as a folder option ;)

I'll be hunting with my Tikka this year in an ACC and hopefully get some more field use not in a match environment!

Currycure

Banhammer
Banned !
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2019
I'm a big fan of the chassis. I have a mdt lss on my Howa 6.5 mini action. It doesn't weigh too much more than stock and it allows for my young son to shoot it by adjusting the butt stock.

Reactions: MDT_Josh