Square vs Circle steel gongs

Apr 10, 2017
So I was just about to order a 18inch circle gong and it just occurred to me that a circle gong is going to be a lot harder to hit at range than a square gong. Unless your vertical is dead set spot on your are not going to get the full width of your gong to use. Windage is going to be a lot harder if for example you hit in the top 1/3 of the gong on a circle you are going to have very little "meat" on the left and right to hit compared to a square gong.

I know F class they are shooting at a circle target, what shape gongs are yall using for the elr stuff as when someone says they are shooting a 24inch gong its really not a fair comparison if someone is shooting a 24inch square vs old mate shooting a 24 inch circle?

thoughts

Mar 29, 2012
ELR stuff is square... Though there is a NorCal Unlimited Distance group that shoots a circle because you need to be aiming for center and hitting an edge increases the MOA of the diameter of the circle. Hitting corners to them is missing. Basically, it is up to you really. If you are just shooting personally or with friends and not planning on doing something official, it shouldn't matter what you shoot at. BTW, Shootingtargets7 is having a killer Memorial Day sale. I'm not affiliated with them but I've bought a lot from them. Check them out before you order.

Apr 10, 2017
hey thanks man I'm in Australia we have very limited range of companies making targets compared to the US.

Yeah I will only be shooting for personal use however was interested kinda in the "ethics" of it like you say with the norcal shooters who claim that hitting the corners is a miss just wanted to get a feel for what others thought on this type of thing. It actually made me realise how fricken accurate those F class shooters are who are aiming for a 5 inch circle at 1000!!!!!

Even though I'm only doing my own thing I don't want to cheat myself when comparing to what others are doing kinda thing.

Oct 31, 2017
I can't see any disadvantages to it, but the square topped targets will be stronger/more durable because of having more material, but the eared targets are not exactly weak to start with. I would think that because the squared gong has more surface area that is will ring or resonate a bit louder. Either one should serve you well for a very long time as long as you don't shoot AP rounds at them or blast them with a cannon.

Top Bottom