Spray Painting Rifles

CaptNemo

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 8, 2009
Southern Alabama
Rifle look really good.
Kinda an odd question but what sponges did you use?
I have a McMillan a3 I am wanting to do a similar paint job to.
The cheaper the better. The big grout sponges in with the tile grout at Lowe’s or Home Depot. Cut them with scissors, then rip little chunks out of the smooth edges to make them more “natural looking”

Reactions: Mooseknuckles

Jmccracken1214

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2018
Thomasville, NC
Rifle look really good.
Kinda an odd question but what sponges did you use?
I have a McMillan a3 I am wanting to do a similar paint job to.
I went to hobby lobby and bought a 4 pack of the natural sea sponges for like. $4. They’re small, but the right size. They worked great. I got them wet and squeezed them out really good so they were damp. Dip in paint and go to town

SonicBurlap

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
I went to hobby lobby and bought a 4 pack of the natural sea sponges for like. $4. They’re small, but the right size. They worked great. I got them wet and squeezed them out really good so they were damp. Dip in paint and go to town
Two thumbs up for the small sea sponges. Always worked for me in the past. The natural sponges are good to go out of the package. I tried the grout, and also car sponges in my first few attempts and didn't like the time I had to spend picking on them first to not make the stock look like some horrible painter's accident.

joblo

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2019
A rascal I picked up with a blemished stock , the kids had fun giving it a krylon camo job using some leaves for stencils

Attachments

Reactions: Snuby642

hinzerd

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2018
Clackamas
Is everyone having good luck with Krylon/Rustoleum, or is it worth the extra dollars to go with something like Duracoat?

HeavyAssault

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2011
Alabama/Georgia/Virginia
My previous Aluma-Hyde project since I'm not one to usually sell my weapons. CMMG done up with some taping to protect some areas. Found an old mesh laundry bag for some added "texture". I may try the sponge method on a different setup. Glad to say I color outside the lines....

Attachments

Snuby642

Old Salt
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
So many nice jobs on stocks, jealous.

So many unpainted barrels?

I do have one piece of experience to add.

#1. Ear plug foamies will quickly keep paint out of barrel.

#2. First shot through the earplug will cause a huge flier possibly missing paper altogether.

No dammage to the gas gun but dirty looks from the rso. Lol

Reactions: Mooseknuckles

SonicBurlap

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
My previous Aluma-Hyde project since I'm not one to usually sell my weapons. CMMG done up with some taping to protect some areas. Found an old mesh laundry bag for some added "texture". I may try the sponge method on a different setup. Glad to say I color outside the lines....
I've used Ghillie netting before to get a similar effect but larger, slightly reminiscent of Kryptek.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

SonicBurlap

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
Has anyone ever used the Montana Gold Acrylic Professional Spray Paints? Saw some of those, supposedly they are matte and they come in lots more shades suitable for camo than Krylon or Rust-Oleum. I'm just wondering how well they'd hold up and if they have any drawbacks. Price is about twice what Krylon, or Rust-Oleum is.

Reactions: Abbotm2