So yea, after all my searching for a new rifle.....

SethJ

New Hide Member
I scrapped the idea for an M40a1 clone build,....forget an auto platform,...

pulled the trigger on a Tikke T3x Tac a1 in 6.5cm yesterday. Should have it by next week. Got a chance to shoot one,..fell in love,..all over with. Friggin thing was amazing. Never was a Tikka fan until I shot this one.

Still leaning towards Nightforce for the glass

scott_gresham

Online Training Member
Jan 1, 2018
Argyle, Texas
thesuicidebunny.net
I scrapped the idea for an M40a1 clone build,....forget an auto platform,...

pulled the trigger on a Tikke T3x Tac a1 in 6.5cm yesterday. Should have it by next week. Got a chance to shoot one,..fell in love,..all over with. Friggin thing was amazing. Never was a Tikka fan until I shot this one.

Still leaning towards Nightforce for the glass
I have a Tikka T3x Tac a1 as well, and I love it! Mine is also chambered in 6.5 creed. I went with a Nightforce ATACR F1 5x25/56 as well. The funny thing is, I bought the scope for a custom I am having built, and I threw it on the Tikka just for the time being, and I don't think I will take it off of it. Congratulations, you will love the rifle.

j741

Hide Member
Sep 10, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Congrats on the new rifle. I'm somewhere between the Tikka Tac A1, Christensen MPR, and PVA John Hancock. I have 2 Tikka CTRs (though 1 listed in PC currently) and am impressed with the accuracy. Was looking to get the Tac A1 then the MPR came out and then the JH. So many good choices.

On glass, I'm going to be putting my NF ATACR 7-35F1 on my 20" CTR. May be too much glass for that rifle but I think it'll work for me.

Mar 18, 2008
VA
Congrats on the new rifle. I'm somewhere between the Tikka Tac A1, Christensen MPR, and PVA John Hancock. I have 2 Tikka CTRs (though 1 listed in PC currently) and am impressed with the accuracy. Was looking to get the Tac A1 then the MPR came out and then the JH. So many good choices.

On glass, I'm going to be putting my NF ATACR 7-35F1 on my 20" CTR. May be too much glass for that rifle but I think it'll work for me.
I'd go JH.

Apr 27, 2013
Australia
Nice choice.

Plenty experience with tikka, handled the a1 recently and was quite impressed with the chassis and the 2 stage trigger is great.

I have a CTR atm I’m considering putting a f1 atacr on top. Deciding on the mag range.

SethJ

New Hide Member

I looked at those also,...sort of torn between a NXS8-32, the Competition model,...or the Atacr 7-35.......

I'm almost ready to rule out the competition model because I may hunt with it,...and the low end is still too high,..dunno yet.

Are the Competition Models built like an NXS? Same toughness? Or are they more along the lines of a Benchrest?

I look at a bunch, and I keep coming back to Nightforce,....it's just hard to get me away from that proven track record and repeatability. I know there's more modern and feature rich scopes, but I also know NF wont let me down.

SethJ

New Hide Member
so I only got to shoot like 10 rds with the Tikka, it belongs to a guy that works at the Gun Shop in Mansura La. But man, the 10 rounds I shot were probably in a 1/4" group and we were at about 85 yards. The thing was, it seemed easy? Like I wasn't even trying very hard to hold a tight group. And the ssmoothness of the bolt,...I don't think I've ever had a rifle where the bolt travel is so smooth. I also like how it's interchangeable with AR components,..so if I get tired of it and want to change ot up,..no problem,...I can drop in in another stock,..or change the forend,..or grip,..or buttstock.....lots of options. I almost went woth an RPR, but it seems like with the RPR you're pretty much stuck with what it is. Just my thinking.

SethJ

New Hide Member
What I really WANT as far as glass is concerned is the Schmidt PMii 5-45x56,....but I dunno yet if I can swing it. If at all possible that's what I'm going to try for, but , I just aint sure if I can swing it financially yet. I'm wanting a little more than25x on the top end, because I'm in the process of joining a club in North La. and they shoot f class matches there, and heck I might just want to shoot some of those matches some time.
I figure the 5x-45x would give me low enough to hunt with, and high enough to compete with. NF would actually be my second choice. I have to try and persuade the wife. She's wanting a new suv, so I might have to get her one so I can get increase my odds for the S&B.

I could do the S&B 12-50 its much more in my price range,...but I really don't want 12x for my bottom end,.....I don't know. I'd be stretched though trying for the 5-45.

lash

Swamp Rat
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
There is nothing that isn't modern about the Nightforce ATACR 7-35 F1. It's a great scope. You don't need to chase the highest magnification you see unless you do plan on competing in bench rest of F-Class. It's a common newbie mistake. I love the NF 7-35 too and own a 5-25 Steiner and a 5-25 S&B, but am still using a 3.5-21 Bushnell for match use out to 1000+.

SethJ

New Hide Member
Nice choice.

Plenty experience with tikka, handled the a1 recently and was quite impressed with the chassis and the 2 stage trigger is great.

I have a CTR atm I’m considering putting a f1 atacr on top. Deciding on the mag range.

What's wrong with the 8-32 NXS? I see a lot of folks bypassing them and going to the atacr.....is it just because of FFP?

Top Bottom