So, what about Leupold Mark 5 ?

snackattack2

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2018
$500 for illumination is not being competitive, especially when it's standard on everything from a Leapers to a Razor.
I have to say, I was shooting with a 5-25 Mark 5 with a tremor 3 reticle, I did think it was insane that tremor 3 with no illumination is MSRP'd at $2989, and then the illuminated version is $3639. Granted those prices go down in the aftermarket / with actual dealers. But they're telling us as consumers that it's $550 for illumination on a scope that's already set to nearly 3 grand?

Come on... With the vortex AMG it's the same price regardless. I have to feel like it's one of those features that on any scope $2k and up shouldn't really be a consideration.

Even on their "standard" reticles it's a difference of $2599 to $3249. I still don't like how they charge +$300-$500 for a H59 or Tremor 3 reticle. In my view if you're actually trying to make the absolute best scopes on the market.

I love leupold optics, but it feels like I'm going to a goddamn car dealership with the 'extra costs' associated with a good reticle or illumination. These things shouldn't be looked at as add-ons to widen their profit margins.

Reactions: GhostFace

LAW-DOG

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
I have to say, I was shooting with a 5-25 Mark 5 with a tremor 3 reticle, I did think it was insane that tremor 3 with no illumination is MSRP'd at $2989, and then the illuminated version is $3639. Granted those prices go down in the aftermarket / with actual dealers. But they're telling us as consumers that it's $550 for illumination on a scope that's already set to nearly 3 grand?

Come on... With the vortex AMG it's the same price regardless. I have to feel like it's one of those features that on any scope $2k and up shouldn't really be a consideration.

Even on their "standard" reticles it's a difference of $2599 to $3249. I still don't like how they charge +$300-$500 for a H59 or Tremor 3 reticle. In my view if you're actually trying to make the absolute best scopes on the market.

I love leupold optics, but it feels like I'm going to a goddamn car dealership with the 'extra costs' associated with a good reticle or illumination. These things shouldn't be looked at as add-ons to widen their profit margins.
I hope you are not paying sticker prices because vortex has their AMG for $3700 & their hd for $3400 on their website but most of here can easily find better prices buy calling different optic companies. I got my mk5 cch 25x on sale for $1750. All scope companies put a higher price on their products, it’s called msrp but most people shop around & find a deal

Reactions: snackattack2

LAW-DOG

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
Having the price difference on the illumination is good & bad. For people that don’t need it that’s $500 savings & allowed me to get mine well under $2000. The msrp on vortex AMG is $3700 but most people can find them for $2100-2500 but what if they offered a $500 discount for non-illuminated that would put the price at $1600-2000 & I bet there would be a lot of people who would get the no illumination to save that much money

Reactions: snackattack2

LAW-DOG

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
It’s ordered, thanks guys
Sure, you will like this mount it has a built in bubble level & a self leveling wedge which makes it really easy. There are some YouTube vids on the spuhr showing the level wedge it’s simple & quick

carbonbased

everyone’s made of carbon, buuuddy
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
Could someone point me towards 35mm rings or a one piece mount with a built in cant of 20moa or more please?
I used Tier One rings, made in England. They have a bubble-level built in and make a model for the CZ 527 dovetail! They make picatinny and mono-mount types too, of course.

About the CZ dovetail: T1 calls refers to their size as 17mm, but people in the US refer to the 527 dovetail is 16mm. Those krazy Europeans measure that dovetail as 16mm, 16.5mm, or 17mm. Everybody picks a different spot to measure, it seems.

LAW-DOG

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
I used Tier One rings, made in England. They have a bubble-level built in and make a model for the CZ 527 dovetail! They make picatinny and mono-mount types too, of course.

About the CZ dovetail: T1 calls refers to their size as 17mm, but people in the US refer to the 527 dovetail is 16mm. Those krazy Europeans measure that dovetail as 16mm, 16.5mm, or 17mm. Everybody picks a different spot to measure, it seems.
Tier 1 has the monomount which looks a lot like the spuhr & has all the same features like a leveling wedge & built in bubble. Their high mount is 1.3 inches tall & im comfortable with 1.5 inches on ar rails. Spuhr can make them up to 1.89 inches high & up to 60moa cant which is great for elr. Tier 1 makes quality mounts & similar to spuhr styles & prices. They have a wide variety too from thin to wide scope rings & unimounts.

BLDTYLRY

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 21, 2011
WA State
I'm running the Desert Tech 1-piece 40-moa cant on my SRS A1 with the Kahles K624i. I believe it is 1.40" and with the comb set in the down position. I can zero the scope from 308WIN Subs to 338LM at 100yds.

LAW-DOG

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
I'm running the Desert Tech 1-piece 40-moa cant on my SRS A1 with the Kahles K624i. I believe it is 1.40" and with the comb set in the down position. I can zero the scope from 308WIN Subs to 338LM at 100yds.
Mine is 1.5 inches high on the Barrett & comb all the way down & it’s perfect. I wouldn’t want to go much lower

LAW-DOG

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
Now if I could find high quality lens covers for my M5, like tenebrex or similar
I think aadmount flip caps are the best, they make some for the mk8 56 mm, I was thinking about getting some. I don’t like how the alumina doesn’t open all the way, flat

Last edited:

LAW-DOG

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
The aadmount mk8 flip caps will fit the mk5, the leupold rep I talked to said he had those on his rifle. I like tenebrex but I like aadmount better

Last edited:

snackattack2

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2018
I hope you are not paying sticker prices because vortex has their AMG for $3700 & their hd for $3400 on their website but most of here can easily find better prices buy calling different optic companies. I got my mk5 cch 25x on sale for $1750. All scope companies put a higher price on their products, it’s called msrp but most people shop around & find a deal
Yeah don't worry, I have a 60% discount direct from leupold. I still think it's fair to use their MSRP prices to establish the rough price difference. Dealers still get their prices modified off of the MSRP prices typically. So they're decent reference points. If they're saying it costs $600 more for illumination / a good mil reticle, well the aftermarket price for an illuminated tremor 3 mark 5 is probably going to be $2,500 instead of probably $2k-2.1k for a straight up tremor 3 reticle.

LAW-DOG

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
Yeah don't worry, I have a 60% discount direct from leupold. I still think it's fair to use their MSRP prices to establish the rough price difference. Dealers still get their prices modified off of the MSRP prices typically. So they're decent reference points. If they're saying it costs $600 more for illumination / a good mil reticle, well the aftermarket price for an illuminated tremor 3 mark 5 is probably going to be $2,500 instead of probably $2k-2.1k for a straight up tremor 3 reticle.
I agree they would probably sell a lot more scopes too if they didn’t charge that much extra for illumination. The cheapest non illuminated tmr is 1800 & illuminated is $2200. Tremor is 3 is $2050 non & $2400 illuminated. If they sold them all at $1800 no upcharges they would probably be the most popular scope

snackattack2

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2018
I agree they would probably sell a lot more scopes too if they didn’t charge that much extra for illumination. The cheapest non illuminated tmr is 1800 & illuminated is $2200. Tremor is 3 is $2050 non & $2400 illuminated. If they sold them all at $1800 no upcharges they would probably be the most popular scope
That's kind of where I'm coming from as well, or let's not say $1,800, because I can believe that there's some licensing with proprietary reticles as well as additional expense incurred doing illumination. But if we said, $2,000 for illuminated tremor 3. They'd be the most popular scopes there.

It's really easy to just always say "If they dropped their highest end price to the lowest end price they'd be the most popular." Sure, but let's assume they're not just doing it to make more money, that there is some cost, but we can probably agree that they're overcharging for that additional cost.

Mark 6's were a big blunder on leupolds part if you ask me, but the mark 5's have been phenomenal. Short of ATACR's, S&B's, USO B25s, Khales 624i's etc, I think they're the best on the market.

Plus when you get a 50% discount for military / LE or a 60% for dealer they are absolutely unbeatable.

When I was shopping for a new scope recently I was trying to find anything even close, but even with just 50% off that would make a mark 5 5-25 ~$1,650 after tax. I know there are a lot of military / former military on this forum, I seriously don't think you can get a better scope for that price. You have to get to ~$2,500 budget wise to get a scope that is tangibly better than a mark 5 in my opinion. Maybe I'm too much of a leupold fanboy.

I think the only competitive or maybe better scope price you can get would be vortex 50% off for military / LE on the AMG which makes it ~$1,800 (though that's before tax).

Reactions: vol375 and LAW-DOG

snackattack2

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2018
Could someone point me towards 35mm rings or a one piece mount with a built in cant of 20moa or more please?
I just ordered leupold mark 4 35mm rings, I also previously used a spuhr mount (which all have integragted bubble levels), Bobro also makes a 35mm QD mount.

Also Badger makes a great 35mm mount.

USMC_JA

Private
Belligerents
Dec 13, 2010
I just ordered leupold mark 4 35mm rings, I also previously used a spuhr mount (which all have integragted bubble levels), Bobro also makes a 35mm QD mount.

Also Badger makes a great 35mm mount.
I picked up an Aadmount for my Mk5 3.8-18. It is one tank of a mount.

One1Bravo

Ops4
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
My Mark 5 came back to me from Leupold today. They had it for less than week, I'm impressed. Fixed my turret and did a full inspection then 2nd day air'ed it back to me.

Reactions: MarinePMI

LAW-DOG

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
I got my aadmount flip caps & they did not fit but it’s not their fault they were designed for the mk8 56mm. Before I ordered them I called leupold & asked them if the mk8 56mm was the same size as the mk5 56mm & if the mk8 aadmount caps would fit & was told yes. They do not fit the mk5 but before I ordered them aadmount said I could send them back with the measurements of the mk5 56mm & they would take care of it. Maybe the leupold guy thought I was talking about scope rings & not flip caps but I thought I was clear about scope caps because I mentioned something about leupold caps not opening flat & the rep said he had some on his scope. Aadmount said will handle it. So if you are planning on getting nice caps maybe call aadmount first & give them the measurements. I measured 2.54 inches for the objective & 1.64 inches for the ocular

One1Bravo

Ops4
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
I got my aadmount flip caps & they did not fit but it’s not their fault they were designed for the mk8 56mm. Before I ordered them I called leupold & asked them if the mk8 56mm was the same size as the mk5 56mm & if the mk8 aadmount caps would fit & was told yes. They do not fit the mk5 but before I ordered them aadmount said I could send them back with the measurements of the mk5 56mm & they would take care of it. Maybe the leupold guy thought I was talking about scope rings & not flip caps but I thought I was clear about scope caps because I mentioned something about leupold caps not opening flat & the rep said he had some on his scope. Aadmount said will handle it. So if you are planning on getting nice caps maybe call aadmount first & give them the measurements. I measured 2.54 inches for the objective & 1.64 inches for the ocular
I had emailed Jon at Aadland to try to get confirmation the Mk8 caps would fit the Mark 5 but never got an answer. I'd really like a set for my Mark 5.

Reactions: vol375

LAW-DOG

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
I had emailed Jon at Aadland to try to get confirmation the Mk8 caps would fit the Mark 5 but never got an answer. I'd really like a set for my Mark 5.
Jon told me if it didn’t fit to take some measurements & send them back if it didn’t fit. Maybe they will have some already the same size on another scope or he will make new ones to fit. Aadmount flip caps are very nice & built like a tank & I like how the Allen tightens the cap to the scope

odoylerules

Private
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2017
Jon told me if it didn’t fit to take some measurements & send them back if it didn’t fit. Maybe they will have some already the same size on another scope or he will make new ones to fit. Aadmount flip caps are very nice & built like a tank & I like how the Allen tightens the cap to the scope
Please let us know how the new caps work. I have a mark 5 5-25x56 I may get a set for

bab029

Hammer Mechanic
Belligerents
May 16, 2011
Louisiana
Looking for input on how the 3.6-18 does in low light. Looking for a lighter weight option than my big Razor 2 (Which is incredible). I'm in the southeast hunting pine thickets, so illumination is a must to squeeze every last minute out of the day.

bgavin

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2018
AL
I talked to a customer rep for leupold and he said the glass was the same as the vx5hd and vx6 hd. I haven’t looked through one at low light but the vxhd series get high praise for low light capability from what I’ve seen online.

USMC_JA

Private
Belligerents
Dec 13, 2010
To echo BGavin, most online reports I read prior to purchasing a Mk5 3.8 had very favorable comments regarding low light performance.

I should receive my Mk5 this week. .....so I'm going to find out pretty dang soon.

LAW-DOG

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2018
Unfortunately aadmount didn’t have any other scope caps that matched, so I took some measurements for Jon & he said he would start making them & they would be done by the end of the month.

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
To echo BGavin, most online reports I read prior to purchasing a Mk5 3.8 had very favorable comments regarding low light performance.

I should receive my Mk5 this week. .....so I'm going to find out pretty dang soon.
I was very impressed with the low light performance of the 3.6-18x44

USMC_JA

Private
Belligerents
Dec 13, 2010
So my Mk5 3.6 arrived. Sharp looking rifle scope. Then I start to play with it.

Mushy clicks that don't line up evenly. But I can live with that if it will track.

Then, I get about 2 1/2 turns on the elevation dial then it stops. The indicator "button" on top also doesn't pop up.

It appears that Leupold's customer service department is going to get an opportunity to shine. I will not be a happy camper if they make me pay shipping for a brand new scope that was defective right out of the box.

This is my first ever Leupold scope. Not a good start.

sabrecross

Forever a Minuteman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
DFW, Texas

Mushy clicks that don't line up evenly. But I can live with that if it will track.

Then, I get about 2 1/2 turns on the elevation dial then it stops. The indicator "button" on top also doesn't pop up.

It appears that Leupold's customer service department is going to get an opportunity to shine. I will not be a happy camper if they make me pay shipping for a brand new scope that was defective right out of the box.

Not a good start. I hope they make everything good. I almost went with a Mark 5 for my long range rig but I didn't have a warm & fuzzy about it. Ended up going with an Euro brand. I do have two SFP Leupolds that I use for whitetail hunting and they have been spot on.

bgavin

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2018
AL

Sorry to hear that. Hope they take care of you.

wjm308

Send it!
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO

How frustrating, especially the mushy clicks, the Mark 5HD I had really shined in the turret department, makes me think QC is not as strong with these, mine exhibited a lack of optical performance at the higher end of the magnification but I know others have shared there's perform very well. Makes me wonder how many issues are related more to QC slip-ups vs. an actual deficiency in the design.

slick19

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2018

I'm not sure about the mushy clicks- but the lines not matching up is due to where it is set at. Let me explain. you zero the turret by loosening two set screws, and lining up the zero (also the button that you will push) on the witness mark under the turret (it clicks into place). When it is in this little recess, there is some wiggle room. If the turret is not PERFECTLY lined up with the witness mark below the turret the lines will not match up from about 3-7 mils. Also, the little button is not supposed to pop up until the 3rd revolution. it will not just "pop" up, it will walk up as you turn the turret. Remember, you will likely have more adjustment than you think, due the the scope being factory "zeroed" roughly in the middle of it's elevation travel range.

If all of this was done correctly you may have a lemon, I would talk to their customer service, they should be able to walk you through this. Although they were unaware of the turret-lines-arent-lining-up-correctly-because-the-turret-is-not-perfectly-centered issue, and they just sent me a new turret.

USMC_JA

Private
Belligerents
Dec 13, 2010
I'm not sure about the mushy clicks- but the lines not matching up is due to where it is set at. Let me explain. you zero the turret by loosening two set screws, and lining up the zero (also the button that you will push) on the witness mark under the turret (it clicks into place). When it is in this little recess, there is some wiggle room. If the turret is not PERFECTLY lined up with the witness mark below the turret the lines will not match up from about 3-7 mils. Also, the little button is not supposed to pop up until the 3rd revolution. it will not just "pop" up, it will walk up as you turn the turret. Remember, you will likely have more adjustment than you think, due the the scope being factory "zeroed" roughly in the middle of it's elevation travel range.

If all of this was done correctly you may have a lemon, I would talk to their customer service, they should be able to walk you through this. Although they were unaware of the turret-lines-arent-lining-up-correctly-because-the-turret-is-not-perfectly-centered issue, and they just sent me a new turret.
Thank you for the detailed instruction. I will try to loosen up the set screws and see if I can get them aligned correctly. That may well fix that problem.

However, I am unable to get to the 3d revolution. I hit a stop after the second full revolution (plus another half turn) and the "button" is still completely flush with the turret. I cannot imagine this being normal. But I'll give the Leupold a call and see if it is user error.

stello1001

Professional Newb
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Corpus Christi TX
Thank you for the detailed instruction. I will try to loosen up the set screws and see if I can get them aligned correctly. That may well fix that problem.

However, I am unable to get to the 3d revolution. I hit a stop after the second full revolution (plus another half turn) and the "button" is still completely flush with the turret. I cannot imagine this being normal. But I'll give the Leupold a call and see if it is user error.
Zero stop maybe?

USMC_JA

Private
Belligerents
Dec 13, 2010
How frustrating, especially the mushy clicks, the Mark 5HD I had really shined in the turret department, makes me think QC is not as strong with these, mine exhibited a lack of optical performance at the higher end of the magnification but I know others have shared there's perform very well. Makes me wonder how many issues are related more to QC slip-ups vs. an actual deficiency in the design.
Yeah. My old NXS, Vortex AMG and Razor have better clicks. Disappointing.

Have not had the opportunity to compare them optically though. I did quickly scan outside last night after dark. Things looked pretty good on a quick scan around the neighborhood. So, I still have hope.

I really want to like this scope given its physical dimensions/weight and magnification range.....which were the driving factor in the purchase decision.