So, what about Leupold Mark 5 ?

Feb 14, 2017
Utah
I finally got the chance to handle a Mark 5 5-25 and wow, I was impressed. I was comparing it to a Razor HD and an Atacr. To me (I’m the leading expert in glass and my time behind top tier scopes is limited) the glass was all pretty similar, weight the Mark 5 won hands down (especially compared to the Razor) and the elevation clicks were more audible and tactile. Leupold has really done a great job with this and has me wanting one.

just browsing

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 18, 2017
Louisville, KY
Those of you who have been behind these, how is the chromatic aberration? I am talking middle of the day, look at a bright white target and what do you see? That’s the only thing that is concerning me at this point.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
Those of you who have been behind these, how is the chromatic aberration? I am talking middle of the day, look at a bright white target and what do you see? That’s the only thing that is concerning me at this point.
Controlled very well at least in the 5-25. It's there but it's very faint. There is horizontal CA, I.E. Breaking cheekweld but that is pretty noticeable among many optics high priced or not. K624i in particular was bad about that, i never got to look through my k624i at home on the range in well lit conditions so i can't comment on how bad it exhibited CA but looking at it at my apartment on a concrete light poll at 150yds or so it was pretty evident.

The Mark 5 outside of reticle limitations is probably the best scope for 2000-2300 (if you don't need illum) money can buy right now IMHO. DMR II pro is likely to replace that but the MK5 is still a hard contender. I'll add once again that i wish the turrets were a little better but they're not bad by any means.

My long review is on page 11
http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/so-what-about-leupold-mark-5.6869995/page-11#post-6948253

Mar 17, 2017
Whats the verdict on the Leupold mk6 IMS 35mm mount for an AR-15? Looking at the mk5 3.6-18 for a 6.5 Grendel AR-15 rifle... so its either the IMS or the AAdmount - but trying to keep the weight down.

Still undecided on reticle. Tend to not like horus type reticles, but the TMR is kinda lacking, so thinking the CCH. Going through the LE/Mil program.

Jan 15, 2005
VA
Whats the verdict on the Leupold mk6 IMS 35mm mount for an AR-15? Looking at the mk5 3.6-18 for a 6.5 Grendel AR-15 rifle... so its either the IMS or the AAdmount - but trying to keep the weight down.

Still undecided on reticle. Tend to not like horus type reticles, but the TMR is kinda lacking, so thinking the CCH. Going through the LE/Mil program.
IMO the Leupold rings are OK but the one piece mounts are a little shitty. I’ve used a few and they all needed lapping.

Badger makes a 35mm 1.5” height unimount with forward offset for AR’s. Euro Optic has them on order and they’re due in very soon. I linked it a page or so back in this thread.

Mar 17, 2017
IMO the Leupold rings are OK but the one piece mounts are a little shitty. I’ve used a few and they all needed lapping.

Badger makes a 35mm 1.5” height unimount with forward offset for AR’s. Euro Optic has them on order and they’re due in very soon. I linked it a page or so back in this thread.
Thanks! just placed my order with europtic. On backorder, so hopefully they have more coming.

Mar 17, 2017
Thanks! Probably not much of a rush on my end either, im assuming ordering new release scopes via leupolds le/mil program will take awhile

Nittynate

Sergeant of the Hide
Mar 16, 2018
California
Thanks! Probably not much of a rush on my end either, im assuming ordering new release scopes via leupolds le/mil program will take awhile
How long ago did you put in your order? I am about to put one in but can’t decide between the 3-18 or 5-25 h59. I’m going to be putting the one I decide on an Manners TA elite 18” 6.5 creed Impact I am in the process of building. I’m trying to make it a lightweight prs/hunting type setup. Can I get some thoughts?

Mar 17, 2017
How long ago did you put in your order? I am about to put one in but can’t decide between the 3-18 or 5-25 h59. I’m going to be putting the one I decide on an Manners TA elite 18” 6.5 creed Impact I am in the process of building. I’m trying to make it a lightweight prs/hunting type setup. Can I get some thoughts?
I haven't placed the order yet - maybe tomorrow. I would go for th 5-25 for that built. I'm sticking to the 3.6-18 since its going on a 6.5 grendel AR-15.... keep it light and compact. For a long range bolt gun in a manners stock, i'm going 5-25 all day.

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
Got my 5-25 T3 as well. Initially, the zero stop button kind of threw me off (thinking, why in the hell would they do that?), but after reading the zeroing instructions, it makes total sense now.

Glass is about on par with the Gen II Razors I have, but overall feels significantly lighter than the Vortexes.

This is also my first Spuhr mount. Crap, talk about a nice mount!

Jan 15, 2005
VA
I’d go 3.6-18 for that. 18x is more than plenty and you’re building a pretty short and light rifle.

Stpilot12

Killed a guy with a Trident...
Jul 18, 2012
Northern Crappyfornia
Got my 5-25 T3 as well. Initially, the zero stop button kind of threw me off (thinking, why in the hell would they do that?), but after reading the zeroing instructions, it makes total sense now.

Glass is about on par with the Gen II Razors I have, but overall feels significantly lighter than the Vortexes.

This is also my first Spuhr mount. Crap, talk about a nice mount!
Yeah only had mine outside for a few minutes yesterday, but intial impression had some wow factor. I was also thinking it was at least as clear or actually better than my GII Razor. The Leupy is going on my DTA and my Kahles is getting bumped over to my new Tikka, planning on going out tomorrow to re-zero both so I'll have a chance run them side by side. I really like the Kahles 624i, its been my goto for a few years, so we shall see how Mr Leupold does in the field. This my first experience with a Tremor reticle, should be interesting...

Sphur is a nice set up... Solid and simple. My third Sphur. :oops:

Also, as soon as the new Snipershide scope tracking targets arrive I'll be testing the Leupy. My old Mark 4 ER actually tracked spot on, all the way to 10.2 mils... Cuz thats all it had. lol :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Bandit31

Semi - professional Jenga player
Feb 6, 2018
Bakersfield, Ca
I've seen a few people mention they either sold their S&B for the Mark 5 or picked up the Mark 5 in favor of the competition. For those that had them both at the same time or have been able to experience both. What made you pick the Leupold over the Schmidts, NF's, Vortex's etc?

Comparing to the S&B's, did the 5-25x Leupold's have a better eyebox and eye relief flexibility?

Also, does anyone have any direct experience on how the 3-18x Mark 5 compares to the 4-16x Atacr F1?

Stpilot12

Jul 18, 2012
Northern Crappyfornia
Got out with the Mark 5 today! I was full on new scope zero'n, load test'n, tripod shoot'n maniac!! So, I was going back and forth from prone and tripod with the DTA and the Tikka (Kahles 624i) Although it was kind of a dark & blah day with T-storms in the area, the Mark 5 vs Kahles is so close I'm not sure theres a difference. Both are damn clear and sharp. Only got out to 600 today, mainly shooting multiple targets between 300 and 600 practicing holdovers to get the feel of the T3 reticle and get used to the focusing. Shot about 60rds plus some Load work at 100yds. Im really happy with this Leupy so far!
Some crappy cell pix..
IMG_5503.JPG IMG_5500.JPG IMG_5502.JPG IMG_5505.JPG

wjm308

Send it!
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
There’s a nice article but Tom Beckstrand in the Guns & Ammo Sniper issue.

What, they put it in a Spuhr mount and not a Leupold mount, sacrilege! :D Interesting title there - "Leupold's New Beginning", it really seems that is the case with the Mark 5 as they seemed to miss the "Mark" with the Mark 6 and the Mark 8 was so overpriced that it kept it out of many hands even if it had some pretty amazing glass. The only downside's it would seem with the Mark 5 is the lack of a good Christmas tree reticle, the high price of admission for illumination and the strange windage zero location, if you don't need those things or aren't bothered by them it would appear Leupy finally has something worth mentioning in the precision community. Hopefully my 3.6-18x44 will arrive sooner than the 6 week estimate they gave me...

Stpilot12

Jul 18, 2012
Northern Crappyfornia
What, they put it in a Spuhr mount and not a Leupold mount, sacrilege! :D Interesting title there - "Leupold's New Beginning", it really seems that is the case with the Mark 5 as they seemed to miss the "Mark" with the Mark 6 and the Mark 8 was so overpriced that it kept it out of many hands even if it had some pretty amazing glass. The only downside's it would seem with the Mark 5 is the lack of a good Christmas tree reticle, the high price of admission for illumination and the strange windage zero location, if you don't need those things or aren't bothered by them it would appear Leupy finally has something worth mentioning in the precision community. Hopefully my 3.6-18x44 will arrive sooner than the 6 week estimate they gave me...

Yeah, the windage thing is odd for sure. It feels to me like I'm moving my head just as much as any other scope to reset windage. The reticle choices are pretty limited. The CCH just wasn't blowing my skirt up. I cant really explain it, just seems like they went with the first thought and never finished it. It's to bad they didn't get something like the SKMR2 or the EBR 7b. Oh well, the T3 is growing on me.

wjm308

Send it!
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
Oh yeah i love it just wish i could change the reticle and shorten the scope. Ha. Still a fine optic by all means
I think hell would freeze over if USO came out with an Ultra Short design, but sure would be nice even if it is wishful thinking. I actually think USO has a pretty good reticle lineup.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
I think hell would freeze over if USO came out with an Ultra Short design, but sure would be nice even if it is wishful thinking. I actually think USO has a pretty good reticle lineup.
I’d love to see them field an ultra short.

Their reticle lineup is alright to me. I’m just tired of my GAP reticle at least in regard to its thickness

Feb 10, 2013
Minneapolis
So far my initial impressions on the 3.6-18 tmr is really positive. sitting side by side with a gen2 pst 1-6 the weight is almost the same. after years with heavy glass I'm a bit nervous about breaking the Leupold, it's so light!

I'm not seeing any CA, but I'm not qualified to describe what I see regarding optics, just offering opinions. no tracking tests yet, waiting on the AR barrel this scope will reside on. the weight & size make me think the 3.6-18 will be a perfect gas gun optic.

wjm308

Send it!
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
... after years with heavy glass I'm a bit nervous about breaking the Leupold, it's so light!

...the weight & size make me think the 3.6-18 will be a perfect gas gun optic.
Carbon fiber is light too but very strong when used appropriately. With new manufacturing and materials I do not think scopes need to be as heavy as they used to be and still be as tough, but I hear what you are saying, we typically think heavy equals strong. And I agree, I think the 3.6-18x44 makes an ideal gas gun optic, but something that will also makes it's home on Covert's as well as other lighter weight rigs. Thanks for sharing your impressions, these scopes are definitely turning some heads.

Mar 21, 2017
Just ordered a 5-25 CCH reticle and Badger rings from Jason @ EuroOptic for a great price. Thanks Jason. I can't wait to lay my hands on it.

Mar 17, 2017
Just ordered a 5-25 CCH reticle and Badger rings from Jason @ EuroOptic for a great price. Thanks Jason. I can't wait to lay my hands on it.
What made you pick the CCH reticle? I'm ready to order a 3.6-18 mk5 for a AR in 6.5 Grendel, but the only thing holding me back is reticle choice. TMR seems lacking, but I don't want an overly busy Horus or Tremor3. So that left me thinking the CCH, but it doesent seem to popular, and the quarter/0.25 hash marks kinda left me wondering...

Mar 21, 2017
I started to get the Tremor 3 but decided it was to busy for me . I will be using the scope for local club matches and hunting so I picked the reticle that I felt I would be comfortable using for both. I've been using a Burris Xtr II with the G2B reticle and felt lacking for matches and liked it for hunting. Maybe I can get along with this reticle. I'll let you know.

Jan 15, 2005
VA
I started to get the Tremor 3 but decided it was to busy for me . I will be using the scope for local club matches and hunting so I picked the reticle that I felt I would be comfortable using for both. I've been using a Burris Xtr II with the G2B reticle and felt lacking for matches and liked it for hunting. Maybe I can get along with this reticle. I'll let you know.
I've got several Tremor 3 equipped optics and one CCH (LRP). The Tremor 3 is no more busy than the CCH. Both have a lot going on and I promise you won't notice it when actually in use and not comparing photos with a white background. The difference is that the Tremor 3 gets you .2 mil hashes and the wind dot system too.

Mar 24, 2018
AZ
It has hashes on top for hold-under, slightly cleaned up, and no Horus upcharge.

Chevrons are for wind; they're at 1.6 and 3.2 so you can think in miles instead of MRAD, borrowing a little from the Tremor line.

wjm308

Send it!
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
How close in can the parralax adjust down? 25 yards?
Was thinking about one of these for dual purpose with one use being NRL 22 matches.
Officially, Leupold states the Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 can parallax down to 75 yards, when I tested one I was able to get it to focus below the 75y tick on the parallax, what I don't know is whether or not parallax will be correct, but the fact it focuses below 75 is encouraging as the Bushnell DMR II definitely does not, everything becomes a big blur under 75 yards pretty quick on the Bushnell.

Top Bottom