So, what about Leupold Mark 5 ?

wjm308

Send it!
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
The knob is only marked down to 75 yards but spins lower than that. I didn’t go too in depth today with close parallax but at about 15 yards I got a crisp reticle and image on 5x-ish. The Optic wasn’t mounted up at this point so I couldn’t tell you if parallax was present or not. I’ve got it mounted up now and will check it out.
Thank you redneck, that makes me a bit nervous, one of the things I didn't like about the DMR/DMR II is it only focuses/parallax down to 75 yards, but it was a hard 75 yards, I used it at 50 and it was pretty blurry, I'm not so much worried at parallax in that short of range because the effects will be minimal, but would like to be able to focus. Interesting that they mark it at 75 but you say the dial goes lower than that, let me know if you find any more on if it can focus closer than 75.

ILya, I believe you have one of these as well, any chance you did some parallax/focus testing on the low end?

redneckbmxer24

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 15, 2005
VA
Thank you redneck, that makes me a bit nervous, one of the things I didn't like about the DMR/DMR II is it only focuses/parallax down to 75 yards, but it was a hard 75 yards, I used it at 50 and it was pretty blurry, I'm not so much worried at parallax in that short of range because the effects will be minimal, but would like to be able to focus. Interesting that they mark it at 75 but you say the dial goes lower than that, let me know if you find any more on if it can focus closer than 75.

ILya, I believe you have one of these as well, any chance you did some parallax/focus testing on the low end?
Like I said, mine focused down to about 15 yards with a clear image and crisp reticle.

wjm308

Send it!
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
Like I said, mine focused down to about 15 yards with a clear image and crisp reticle.
I just heard back from Leupold and this is what they told me regarding the Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 parallax
The spec is 75 yards out to infinity. Regarding the ability to focus lower than 75 yards, usually the focus will go a couple yards below 75, but not significant.
Your results seem to contradict what Leupold is saying because 15 yards would be significant vs 75 yards, that being said, your findings are very encouraging.

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
Feb 22, 2006
Los Angeles
www.opticsthoughts.com

I have not spent much time with it, but if you want to use it at closer distances you have to lower the magnification to get more depth of field. At 10x, everything looks acceptably sharp at 50 yards, but I have not tried it closer than 100 yards at higher magnification.

If you are able to focus down to 15 yards with it, check if you are still in focus at infinity. It may be that your eyepiece is not set-up right or that the scope needs to be adjusted.

ILya

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
Was behind a 624i today for 4 hours using it on a friends 223 trainer. Weather here sucked and i didn't have the Mark 5 with me. I wish i did so i could've compared the two. Did put it side by side yet again next to a Gen II razor, was hard to tell the difference between them excluding the Gen II at 27x. On 24x in the conditions today (fog/misty rain).

Should've brought my rifle back with me.

Mar 24, 2018
AZ
Has anyone taken a photo of the CCH ret in-the-flesh?

Also, any comparisons with the Gen II 4.5-27 glass-wise? They're basically within $20 to acquire for me (H59), and I don't mind the weight of the Razor.

Last edited:

wjm308

Send it!
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
So was at Mile High Shooting the other day and decided to see if they still had a Leupy 3.6-18x44 I could look at and we took it outside and to be honest its kind of hard when a scope is just sitting on a rear bag on a post while trying to fiddle with mag and diopter and parallax, but I was pretty impressed. Eye relief seemed huge and eyebox pretty forgiving even up to 18x and while the spec says 75 yards focus I was able to focus much closer than that as the parallax dial goes well below the 75y marking. Turrets seemed decent enough and glass looked pretty dang good in my brief encounter. So I am very close to pulling the trigger on one and playing with it a bit. I've never been a Horus fan but I'm seriously considering the Tremor 3 with this scope just to play around and see if I can't get used to it...

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
I still want one for a gas gun. Curious to hear ILya's final thoughts, though all indications point to Leupold getting this one right thus far. Least going off our small sample size in this thread.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi

So the excuse for $300 illumination is "cost" granted he could be 100% correct. Seems a bit disingenuous when every other brand is doing it at similar price. Still watching to see if they announce the new reticle.

They do talk about the CCH
CCH.jpg

Last edited:

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
Well I did it, I pulled the trigger on a Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44mm Tremor 3. This will be my first Leupold and I'm really hoping it will impress, this is also my first busy Horus reticle but hoping I'll get over the messyness and enjoy the usefulness... should be here within a couple weeks.
Looking forward to seeing your results Bill.

Apr 22, 2017
Thanks to all who have posted reviews

I own 7 NF scopes and 1 S&B. There not been a scope from another manufacturer that has caught my attention like the Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 has.

A very nice power range for a gas gun or hunting rifle and a TReMor3 reticle for $2100, I'm very tempted.

Jmcmath

New Hide Member
Mar 9, 2018
I agree, the 3.6-18 falls nicely(so it seems) into an extremely limited class for a upper tier exposed turret hunting scope.

I hope it will push vortex to a 3-18 AMG

redneckbmxer24

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 15, 2005
VA
The T3 is just a H59 with the .2 hashes on the undersides of horizontals removed and wind dots added. I love the wind dot system and find the rows of dots break the reticle up nicely.

I also don't find a H59 "cluttered". I think most people who say cluttered are looking at the pics of them with white backgrounds, the pics/drawings are nothing like actually using the reticle.

I have a problem which I'm not sure what it's called, other than possible retardation, where I can't look at things like chain link fences or anything like that, and I have no problem looking at a Horus reticle. They work and they work great.

And another groundhog just a little bit ago.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
I find it cluttered but my dislike of the H59 stems from more or less from lack of practice. I will say i hate it for hunting. It obscures a ton of the the bottom of the FOV. H59 is also a tad thick. I'm just saying though Leupold could use something like a G2/G3, EBR2C/EBR7B, or SKMR/3 at no upcharge.

redneckbmxer24

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 15, 2005
VA
I will say i hate it for hunting. It obscures a ton of the the bottom of the FOV.
I've used Horus reticles for years for hunting and have never found this to be a problem, our military is slowly switching over to Horus stuff for people hunting too. It's an aiming apparatus, not a spotting scope or binoculars. It's just a grid so you can easily see through it, it's not like it's a solid blob that makes the lower half of the FOV useless. If it's an issue then ID with one of the upper quadrants and make the shot with the reticle, or better yet carry a spotter or binos so you're not aiming a weapon at something you're not intent on shooting.

A Horus is worth its weight in gold for night hunting.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
That’s a fair point. Again my dislike probably stems from lack of practice. I had no illumination of either of those models with the h59 hunting and that’s when i hated the grid in low light. Which now I’ve got a dedicated short rifle for hunting so was kind of mispuposed for my comp rifle anyway.

I see your point though.

redneckbmxer24

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 15, 2005
VA
That’s a fair point. Again my dislike probably stems from lack of practice. I had no illumination of either of those models with the h59 hunting and that’s when i hated the grid in low light. Which now I’ve got a dedicated short rifle for hunting so was kind of mispuposed for my comp rifle anyway.

I see your point though.
Those last few minutes of dusk can certainly be a little hard to pick it up, no doubt. I've got a few S&B's with them and they're all illuminated so it's been a non issue the times I've used them for evening hunting. Most of my hunting is varmint or predator hunting which is done during the day or at night with a clip on so illumination isn't used and therefor isn't required equipment for my uses. Sometimes black reticles can be hard to use on black hot but that's as simple to clicking to white hot to make the shot, has nothing to do with being a Horus or not though.

Apr 22, 2017
I been working with the TreMoR3 on some coyote hunts and the reticle is really working for me. I really like the fact that all i need is range/elevation and if i got a handle on the wind, use the wind dots for hold. The system is so much faster than ranging, getting elevation call, dialing elevation and then figuring out my wind hold. Dot's very useful when a coyote is moving. All I need from my partner is new elevation and I hold the wind dot. Plus my eyes arent what they once were and I'm saving precious seconds not having to make sure i dial correct elevation.

I'm really liking the TReMor3 for hunting and if I pull trigger on a Mark 5, it will have the TreMor3 reticle.

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
Feb 22, 2006
Los Angeles
www.opticsthoughts.com
The T3 is just a H59 with the .2 hashes on the undersides of horizontals removed and wind dots added. I love the wind dot system and find the rows of dots break the reticle up nicely.

I also don't find a H59 "cluttered". I think most people who say cluttered are looking at the pics of them with white backgrounds, the pics/drawings are nothing like actually using the reticle.

I have a problem which I'm not sure what it's called, other than possible retardation, where I can't look at things like chain link fences or anything like that, and I have no problem looking at a Horus reticle. They work and they work great.

And another groundhog just a little bit ago.

It is likely some version of the Bucha effect. It is triggered by strobe lights or repeating high contrast patterns. Horus reticles would not trigger that.

ILya

redneckbmxer24

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 15, 2005
VA
I ran mine side by side with one of my S&B 5-25's tonight comparing them both behind an Omega tubed L3 M2124LR clip on. There was little to no discernible difference in image resolution between the two optics with the clip on. This surprised me, the glass in these optics is fantastic.

Bender

Something witty here
Feb 12, 2014
Cheyenne WY.
I thought the the same redneck. Glad to hear the 3.6-18 isn't disappointing you. I see guys who haven't used the MK5 condemning it in certain circles but it's starting to really gain some traction i think.
I took my long time friend shooting out to 1000, his first time. needless to say he got hooked. Afterwords we went out for lunch and he was already planning his own long range set up, we went to the local gun store and they had a MK 5 5-25 in the show case, we compared it to a vortex, and a night force atacr. He liked the Mk 5 the best. Even though we barely had any time with them. He sent me a message last night that he is ordering the MK 5 today. Even though he hasn’t even picked out his rifle yet. Lol. I was very impressed with it, surprised how light it was given it’s size. Much lighter than my Weaver 6-30x56, it felt it weighed half! For its price, the MK 5 is going to be tough to beat.

cageli

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2014
WA
I got my 3.6 in today, it’s h59. I compared it side by side with my SB 5-20 US h59. And they are very comparable, which made me feel good about the leupold but mixed with my SB. There are more things I like on leupold than SB, I will stop right here.

Jan 24, 2013
Vancouver, WA
I got my 3.6 in today, it’s h59. I compared it side by side with my SB 5-20 US h59. And they are very comparable, which made me feel good about the leupold but mixed with my SB. There are more things I like on leupold than SB, I will stop right here.
You weren’t kidding, I just picked up his S&B from him lol. I’m interested to hear your thoughts as you get more experience with it. I am contemplating the 3.6-18 for an 6.5 CM AR.

Mar 24, 2011
Great Northwest
I borrowed a buddy's Mark 5 this weekend for a PRS competition and I was very impressed. I was shooting the 5-25 with the TMR reticle on my brand new 6 Dasher. I thought the glass was excellent, it was super easy to set the zero stop on the turret (thankfully since I really didn't have any instructions to work with!), it tracked perfectly all weekend chasing targets in gusty winds out to 1100 yards, loved the feel of the turret 'clicks' and they lined up perfectly all weekend, and it seemed to have a very comfortable eye box. Now granted, my nearly 50 year old eyes aren't the greatest and have gotten worse over the last years, but I lined up the Mark 5 next to a NF 7-35 a couple of times and nothing stood out to me as drastically different. Well, the TMR reticle could use an update/improvement but everything else I was super happy with. At least one 'sponsored' shooter of another scope manufacturer also commented on how good he thought the scope looked. Now, I just need to pick up my own (or see if my buddy will just forget he loaned me this one! Just kidding - thanks Michael!!).

redneckbmxer24

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 15, 2005
VA
If anybody is in need of a quality 35mm 1.5" high 0moa mount, Badger Ordnance is making them. Here's the link to the mount at Euro Optic. You can backorder through the website or by calling Jason.

Badger Ordnance 35mm 1 Piece Unimount Ultra High Zero cant Aluminum 306-160

I confirmed with Badger who said they're in production and will be available in two weeks. Allowing them a little extra time and to ship out to dealers a month would be a conservative estimation.

These are 1.50" height which is ideal for gas guns and rifles with continuous rails and those who wish to run night vision and/or thermal clip on devices in conjunction. I also measured and confirmed that the ring spacing is adequate for the MK5 models.

Jan 8, 2011
Arc, seekins, nightforce ultralites the list goes on. Basically all the top mounting options are available in 35mm. I just can’t decide which one to throw on my 6.5cm. The 3.6-18 is might tempting but not sure how much I’ll miss the extra 7x on the top end.

Stpilot12

Inspector Gadget
Jul 18, 2012
Northern Crappyfornia
Good info here guys. Been kinda on the fence for a few weeks about the Mark 5 (vs the AMG), but it was growing one me. I got to fondle and drool on one finally this week. Walked into Cabela's in Boise and they had a 5-25 TMR. I really liked the feel, the weight is nice and turrets, a Leupy with a quality zero stop? Whaaaat? Glass looks good (of course only saw inside the building only) I talked to Mile High and they dropped a special today (in the px) soo.... Ordered up the 5-25 T3. (with the Spuhr mount) What the hell, why not. So, thanks for all the reviews and info!

Feb 10, 2013
Minneapolis
I wish I liked the reticles offered on the MK5 - the 3.5-18 would be perfect for the MK12ish rifle I'm putting together, compact, light weight, and the MHS deal is wonderful. free bump for Leupold for moving in the right direction and the folks at Mile High!

JFComfort

Las Vegas Long Range OG
Mar 19, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Looks like Joe wrote a review. Reading it now.
http://dmr-llc.com/?p=1441
My thoughts on the Mark 5 mirror my initial impressions and hope more like this is to come! The above center “0” mark still hasn’t grown on me and the CCH is cooler than the TMR but I genuinely like the scope. I will keep people updated on any issues or failures I may experience.

I sum it up like this, the Mark 5 is a Glock 17 and my Hensoldt is a family heirloom 1911. Which would you shoot more?

Top Bottom