Sling Suggestions?

Nov 19, 2013
I am taking a class next month and the instructor reccomends a sling. The class focuses on PRS style shooting. Im taking the class to primarily learn more about wind winding and other positional shooting, but ill learn anything else I can as well including sling stabilization - which sling is recommended for this type of work?

Since you are just starting out I'd recommend the Mountain Shooter sling, it's a simple, effective cuff sling that doesn't break the bank and is pretty easy to learn the fundamentals of sling use on. Following that, once you learn the ins and outs of using the sling my favorite is the Armageddon Gear PRS sling, out of all the slings I have and use I keep coming back around to that one. I also have the Enhanced Loophole sling and it's easily my least favorite sling but the loop for clipping into a carabineer is a handy feature for some situations when shooting off a tripod or some barricades. That being said, in my opinion, effective sling use goes back learning the fundamentals of looping up, positioning the sling, getting the proper tension, and body position. Even if you don't loop up and route the sling over your back like you can do with the Loophole sling or TAB Gear PRS sling, the fundamental skills learned from a shooting sling are still there.

Xandrosi

New Hide Member
Jun 28, 2018
FWIW, I tried the Mountain Shooter sling and can't recommend it. The support hand loop allows easy single-handed manipulation, but is designed to easily slip. The best analogy is putting a rope tied with a loose slip-knot over your arm and then putting that knot under constant tension. The narrow straps ate into my arm and it was about as comfortable as wearing a tourniquet. I live in a hot climate, so this was happening sling strap right on skin. Perhaps it would be better if I were wearing any type of shirt. It works and is relatively inexpensive. There are YouTubes out there demonstrating how it works.

FWIW, I tried the Mountain Shooter sling and can't recommend it. The support hand loop allows easy single-handed manipulation, but is designed to easily slip. The best analogy is putting a rope tied with a loose slip-knot over your arm and then putting that knot under constant tension. The narrow straps ate into my arm and it was about as comfortable as wearing a tourniquet. I live in a hot climate, so this was happening sling strap right on skin. Perhaps it would be better if I were wearing any type of shirt. It works and is relatively inexpensive. There are YouTubes out there demonstrating how it works.
Well any sling has the potential to dig into your arm if you arent wearing a shirt and have good tension on the sling. The material is 1.5" wide, same as most other nylon precision rifle slings and you can put a triglide within the loop to help act as a stop to keep it from going in full tourniquet mode.

SLG

Gunny Sergeant
Sep 2, 2009
Mtn shooter sling is one of the best, simple to use shooting slings on the market. It is a constrictor, and does its job very well. The basic tab gear sling is not a constrictor, and also does a great job.

The armaggeddon gear sling works very well, but can be both harder and easier to use than the other two. It is a little more flexible for use as a tripod sling as well.

For 20 bucks, the new magpul sling, which is basically a copy of the rifleshooter sling, will probably also be a good choice to try out.

May 31, 2009
Northwest Oregon
As a former High Power shooter I really appreciate the quick-attach, separate cuff of the TIS sling.
I also run the Rifles Only bungee sling if I'm going to be shooting in difficult terrain or longer, slung, hikes.

Jul 30, 2013
Lincoln, NE
Rifles Only. Not only is their sling very well made and easy to adjust, their customer service is top notch. I ordered a sling and my dog chewed it up before I even had the chance to use. I had to pay for them to fix it, but they damn good took care of me.

AMGtuned

New Hide Member
May 6, 2018
Warren, ME
RiflesOnly. I have the standard non bungee tail and it works great. Haven't shot PRS comps with it, but hiking and pit/powerline shooting, with a few improvised obstacles, its holds great, carries great, works great. Tough as nails and the adjustments are smooth like smooth should be. I have a TAB and 2 Magpuls also, FTW sling is first pick every time.

Top Bottom