Sig Sauer - KILO3000 BDX LASER RANGEFINDING BINOCULARS

stevenc23

Oct 21, 2013
I see KILO3000 BDX LASER RANGEFINDING BINOCULARS posted for preorder on various sites.

Kilo300 Binos

Don't see them listed yet at Sig's site.

Anyone have any info? Have been very happy with their rangefinders and excited about the possibility of decent binos with same lrf capabilities.

wjm308

Send it!
Nov 30, 2012
Black Forest, CO
Brownell's shows two models, the difference being Class 3R and Class 1M, does anyone know what is the difference between the two lasers and why you would choose one over the other?

I found the following information, thought I am not sure if it tells me what I want to know - https://www.rli.com/resources/articles/classification.aspx
  • Class 1M lasers have wavelengths between 302.5 nm and 4000 nm, and are safe except when used with optical aids (e.g. binoculars).
  • Class 3R lasers range from 302.5 nm and 106 nm, and is potentially hazardous but the risk is lower than that of Class 3B lasers. The accessible emission limit is within 5 times the Class 2 AEL for wavelengths between 400 nm and 700 nm, and within 5 times the Class 1 AEL for wavelengths outside this region.
With the Class 1M what does it mean "safe except when used with optical aids (e.g. binoculars)"? Does that mean if someone happens to be looking at you through binoculars when you are using the ranging function (emitting the laser) then it could be damaging? For ranging animals for hunting, is it better to have higher wavelength or lower, or does it matter? Likewise for ranging non-game like steel/paper targets, etc. is there an advantage to one laser over another?

As I investigate this further I think I'm answering my own questions, after reading the PDF on the Kilo 2200 LRF I think I found my answers - https://www.sigsauer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SIG-KILO2200-2000C1M-Manual.pdf

The Class 3R version appears to be for North America while the class 1M is their "Export" model meant for the European market. It could be that European laws restrict certain laser classes, but the gist of it appears to be that for the Class 1M (Export) model you may see a minor performance drop of about 200 yards on trees and deer hide vs the Class 3R version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom