Scaffolding for a raised shooting platform?

May 4, 2014
Has anyone tried this? I was planning on using just one frame for height, and mounting on concrete piers. I was concerned it might be wobbly if the wind blows at all. I would set it up long ways so you would have about 5' x 8' platform to shoot off facing down range. I was considering this as option for the platform so it could double duty as scaffolding should I need it for a little DIY around the house or something.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MetalTe...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-203504547-_-206733514-_-N

https://www.homedepot.com/p/11-1-2-in-x-8-in-x-11-1-2-in-Concrete-Block-10550005/100350712

diverdon

Online Training Member
Dec 21, 2011
WNY
If this is going to stay on one location you might want to consider building a platform on some pressure treated 6X6 it will be far more stable.

spaniel

Sergeant
Mar 26, 2006
Has anyone tried this? I was planning on using just one frame for height, and mounting on concrete piers. I was concerned it might be wobbly if the wind blows at all. I would set it up long ways so you would have about 5' x 8' platform to shoot off facing down range. I was considering this as option for the platform so it could double duty as scaffolding should I need it for a little DIY around the house or something.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MetalTe...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-203504547-_-206733514-_-N

https://www.homedepot.com/p/11-1-2-in-x-8-in-x-11-1-2-in-Concrete-Block-10550005/100350712
I have used those a lot; you will not be happy as a shooting platform.

Here is my solution. Not done, now installing stairs and platform at the top of this. Then a roof above on poles not yet bolted up.

Attachments

Feb 15, 2017
Arlington, WA
I’ve been a plaster/mason for 25 years and built thousands of scaffolding setups, you can brace it up with a couple of 2” pipes and clamps as well as the regular cross braces and it will be pretty sturdy but not near as good as a wood framed structure. Maybe rent a section of scaffolding first to try it out and see if your satisfied.

Feb 7, 2013
The West
Are you needing to shoot over dead space? Or are you trying to switch up angles?

I know this sands like a dumb question, but they are two very different things when using a CF cartridge

spaniel

Sergeant
Mar 26, 2006
Spaniel, I like your solution; it stimulates 'wild and crazy' (ala Steve Martin...) thoughts...

Greg
What started out as a desire for shade over the shooting position in the hot Indiana summer has certainly morphed. I figured, why not use the opportunity to get past the pesky issue of not being able to shoot the full 300 of the range from prone due to land contour....Then the kids were begging me for a treehouse/fort....now we all win. But it is about $2K in materials by the time I am done, which is a far cry from what the OP is looking for. But you could do a 6ft platform on 4X4 posts for perhaps $100-200 and still be better off than those scaffolding pieces. They just aren't stable.

May 4, 2014
Now if I build the structure could I get away with the concrete above ground 4x4 holder blocks vs. concreting the posts in?

Yes it’s to defeat a land contour and make the range 700 yards as well put more angle on our shots “increasing,” the safety.

Mar 26, 2006
I doubt above ground concrete blocks will be stable, and if you have any wind there it won't be up for long. My kids' real playhouse had a single 4X4 set 3ft deep with concrete holding it in, a 70mph storm from pulled it up 3 inches so I sunk 3 more.

For this platform I used an auger on a tractor 3pt hitch and went down about 2.5 feet. I would have liked 4 but this maxed the auger. About 1.5 bags (120lb) of concrete on each post.

For a simple 6ft platform on 4X4s, go as deep as you can go with a hand posthole digger and put a bag of concrete on each pole. As long as there is no sides/roof to catch wind you should be GTG.

Sniper266

Sergeant of the Hide
Apr 16, 2018
California
www.california.gov
You can safely set up scaffolding with out setting it into the ground. That being said, if you can sink some posts with concrete to really secure it then more is better. Unless this is going to be a permanent structure i would do some research into scaffolding set up and take down and you’ll be fine. You shouldnt need the concreate pires, if anything they may make the structure unsafe. A lot of contractors build scaffolding on ply wood or wood planks.

Mar 26, 2006
You can safely set up scaffolding with out setting it into the ground. That being said, if you can sink some posts with concrete to really secure it then more is better. Unless this is going to be a permanent structure i would do some research into scaffolding set up and take down and you’ll be fine. You shouldnt need the concreate pires, if anything they may make the structure unsafe. A lot of contractors build scaffolding on ply wood or wood planks.
I don't think anyone is questioning the safety; this stuff is designed to be set up on the ground without concrete or reinforcement. It's about stability. I have plenty of time on scaffolding from summer painting jobs and it's fine for what it is designed for, but by the time I put enough work into stabilizing it to make it worth trying to shoot groups from I'd be ahead building a 4X4 and 2X6 platform set a couple feet in the ground.

Top Bottom