opus56

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2018
Utah
www.sagerssohne.com
Hey everyone,

I recently got my Sandman S and am using it on a couple of different rifles using their keymount brake on both rifles. On my 224 Grendel (AR15 platform) the POI shift with suppressor is what I would say is very normal, a .3 mil shift. But on my AR10 (.308), the shift is 8 mils right and 3 mils up. With that much change I figured there must be something else going on, like maybe scope or scope mount...but the optics are all good.

Anyhow, I put the Area 419 brake back on which I've had on the rifle since I built it, rezeroed, and the rifle shot as expected. Then I put the keymount brake on again, rezeroed, and the rifle shot as expected. But as soon as I put on the Sandman, the POI shift is huge and it's not consistent either. It's not like it prints 1/2 MOA groups at 8 mils right and 3 mils up. It won't shoot even a 3 MOA group. No evidence of a baffle strike. Everything looks normal.

The AR10 has a Lothar Walther KA profile 20" barrel and it's been a consistent 1/2 MOA shooter ever since I assembled the rifle. Could I have a bad keymount brake?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pvt.Donut

Private
Belligerents
Apr 4, 2017
How is your Keymount mounted to the 308? You're using the supplied shims right and not a crush washer or something?

opus56

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2018
Utah
www.sagerssohne.com
How is your Keymount mounted to the 308? You're using the supplied shims right and not a crush washer or something?
Yes, I used the Dead Air shim kit. I also contacted Dead Air and they are sending me another keymount brake to try. Along with that I'm going to use a section of 19/64" drill rod to see how the suppressor lines up w/ the bore. If I don't get the results I'm looking for, I'll pull the barrel and have the thread concentricity checked.

opus56

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2018
Utah
www.sagerssohne.com
Got the 19/64" rod today and the suppressor is definitely not concentric to the bore. Once I get the new keymount brake, I'll take a look again. I'm hoping it's the mount and not the barrel...but I guess we'll see.7043538