Sako TRG M10 or AI AX-MC, torn between 2 lovers

Feb 14, 2017
Northern California
I spent 4.5 hours on the M10 yesterday. I chrono'd some factory ammo and did some load testing. I got it tweaked to the point that I am pretty accurate with it. It took awhile but I got it. It is remarkable what tiny adjustments can do for you.
Triggered A partial to answer your question. I don't think it as comfortable as the TRG shooting off a bench. (I had to use a bench due to range limitations.)
The butt pad is not as adjustable as the TRG. It's also narrower. Even so I f***ing love the gun. I am glad I bought it when I could.

I will post a full range report on the TRG thread here: https://forum.snipershide.com/forum...les/6260371-sako-trg-trg-s-m995-thread-sticky.

M338

Private
Jul 2, 2011
Australia
As far as I heard, LRI (Chad) can make a barrel extension too. So, do not need to purchase a M10 barrel as a donor. if so, then it's awesome.
Just digging this thread up to see how you m10 owners are getting on,im so close to pulling the trigger on one but would love a 260 barrel as well.Are the barrels threaded or pressed to the extension?

Silvan

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 24, 2017
Midland, TX
Just digging this thread up to see how you m10 owners are getting on,im so close to pulling the trigger on one but would love a 260 barrel as well.Are the barrels threaded or pressed to the extension?
I am about to send a donor M10 barrel and a blank to LRI. I hope during this week. 6.5 Creedmoor.
I presume a barrel extension is threaded.

Feb 5, 2014
I bought one 3 months ago and love it. You will not be disappointed.

Feb 5, 2014
Done...
Now I can call this rifle "multi-caliber" :)
Thanks LRI for the great job!!!

P.S. barrels in the Sako TRG M10 contour, full copy.
Nice!

Wow that is very nice looking work!
Thanks for doing the leg work on this project. As Sako M-10 owners we now have near unlimited caliber options for the platform!
That is no small accomplishment.

Aug 7, 2017
Colorado
Silvan,
I know the barrel extensions are a press fit, can you elaborate on that? How do they insure that it is not coming off? Also at $875 /barrel, it gets rather expensive to rebarrel just to acquire the extension. Have you seen the barrel extension? Does it look difficult to machine? If I go down the M10 rabbit hole, I may get a good machinist friend of mine to make extensions for me if its not too difficult(expensive) of a design.

Silvan

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 24, 2017
Midland, TX
Silvan,
I know the barrel extensions are a press fit, can you elaborate on that? How do they insure that it is not coming off? Also at $875 /barrel, it gets rather expensive to rebarrel just to acquire the extension. Have you seen the barrel extension? Does it look difficult to machine? If I go down the M10 rabbit hole, I may get a good machinist friend of mine to make extensions for me if its not too difficult(expensive) of a design.
Hi,
They are threaded. I presume there should not be any issues. I’d also worry if they were pressed.
Yes, I’ve seen it and think a barrel extension is the most complicated part to machine and copy. The key is a steel and its hardening, and design. Sako keeps secrets as well as does not sell barrel extensions separately (I asked severel times a few Sako employees from Finland).
A good thing - the M10 barrel extension is reusable, just need to have one for years.

Aug 7, 2017
Colorado
Thanks Silvan,
I thought I had read earlier in this thread that they were pressed together. Threaded is much better. I'll have to ask my friend the logistics of a project like this as he would know exactly how to do it. I'm not dropping names but he did design a well known rifle action. I worked for him a few years ago making them. He might tell me it's too much hassle. If I get a chance to see an M10 extension and or rifle, I'll run it by him. Might be a while though, not a lot in circulation.

Feb 5, 2014
Are any of you guys playing with the 300mag setup in a M-10? I just finished some load development with mine. The things are a one hole wonder with 190gr smk bullets loaded at mag length.

Top Bottom