Sako S20

FisherT&C

just some guy
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2020
Montana
There is no doubt in my mind this rifle is well built and will perform but it's very boutique. They should have made it compatible with aics mags, 20, 30 and 40 MOA bases, have a sliding locking QD plate for a tripod and be compatible with savage or tikka prefits to get traction in the precision market.

lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Online Training Access
Apr 12, 2001
Base of the Rockies
www.snipershide.com
SAKO is a competitor with AI, they will never use AI Magazines when they have their own which they consider a premier brand.

You guys think these companies will always play nice with each other, but a TRG competes directly with an Accuracy International on the world stage. Beretta and AI are not gonna support each other.

Beretta is notoriously hard to work with here in the US, you cannot get them to commit or sitdown in a productive way. So I sure they only spoke to those who they want to work with, which appears to not be US-based. Since competitions are a new thing in the EU, you have to let them figure it out themselves and grow in a way they feel works. However that said, the more US shooters travel to Europe for these events, the more they will see how ineffective their systems are vs the headstart the US competitors have over them.

SAKO makes a great rifle, and they are correctly priced for the market, so if you have to tweak a few things to work, so be it.

They will learn, and once companies in the EU start following the US lead sooner rather than later, the entire industry will shift on a bigger scale. Right now we have to take a few steps backward. To us, here it's pretty obvious, to them, it's all brand new.

FisherT&C

just some guy
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2020
Montana
When Leica uses centimeters as a linear expression for angular trajectory problem solving all I can think is "didn't we go down this road in the US with IPHY"? Seems this is a similar case, I appreciate the audacity of creating a market but geez such a waste of damn fine engineering.

spife7980

Luchador
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
When Leica uses centimeters as a linear expression for angular trajectory problem solving all I can think is "didn't we go down this road in the US with IPHY"? Seems this is a similar case, I appreciate the audacity of creating a market but geez such a waste of damn fine engineering.
Because 1 cm at 100 meters is .1 mil?

Edit: crap!

Last edited:

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
Because 1 cm at 100 meters is 1 mil?
While 0.1 mil is not exactly perfect, it is close enough to be used as a fairly reasonable number if that is what your military is setup to do.

You'll see a lot of original S&B scopes that are mil/mil say 1 click = 1cm at 100m and for basic stuff that is close enough that you won't notice the difference till you get to much longer ranges.

Palmetto-Pride

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
May 27, 2014
32.752325 -79.867804
first the machined rail not full length and having any built in rise,
I also wanted to touch on the machined in picatinny rails. I agree it should have been one full length pic rail I am sure they were thinking weight savings, but I hope they were smart enough to have the two spaced apart as if they were one full length rail. Other words if you were to take a full length rail section and hold it directly to the side the slots would line up perfectly on the forward and aft machined rails on the receiver. Secondly if so hopefully they are spaced to where a one piece mount like a SPUHR would work. Hold on just thought of something as I was typing.........a SPUHR is designed to grab the rail for the entire length so maybe that wouldn't work......nevermind carry on. I will never own this rifle I have all my scopes in one piece SPUHRs I move my scopes around at times. Geez that would have solved the no built in cant at the same time if one were to need that.

Hrtbrkr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2020
Just preordered the precision 6.5cm. Hopefully will get it in April/May. Can’t wait! Love my tikkas but this will take the cake.

YotaEer

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
Pittsburgh
I’m looking at ordering an S20 as the base for my first “higher end” precision/hunting rifle build. Would you all recommend that move or stick to building one from the ground up?

I only have old ruger hunting rifles and my custom AR’s. No custom bolt gun experience.

CerebralDistortion

Private
Belligerents
Oct 8, 2017
I’m looking at ordering an S20 as the base for my first “higher end” precision/hunting rifle build. Would you all recommend that move or stick to building one from the ground up?
Depends on whether you want to build on it or if you are happy with it the way it is. If you're happy with it as is, go for it. (y)

Reactions: YotaEer

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2005
Gulf Coast, FL
The rifle seems cool, but I'm far more impressed by their product release tactics and getting info out. This is probably the best product launch in the history of the gun industry, at least that I know of. That Apple style release video is really cool and gets a lot of info out. A lot of big companies drop products with almost no details or anything, and even when you try to get info people who should know don't have a clue.

Everyone else should take a lesson from Sako here.

G5guy

Private
Belligerents
Jun 27, 2014
Arley, Alabama

I only have old ruger hunting rifles and my custom AR’s. No custom bolt gun experience.
IMHO,,,you can't go wrong with a GAPrecision. GREAT guns.

perttime

Registered from Finland
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
Finland
If the Sako ticks all of your boxes, go for it. You'll get a quality rifle out of the box.
If you want something that Sako isn't offering for it now, consider custom.

YotaEer

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
Pittsburgh
If the Sako ticks all of your boxes, go for it. You'll get a quality rifle out of the box.
If you want something that Sako isn't offering for it now, consider custom.
That’s my problem, I can’t leave well enough alone and will end up customizing anyways.

• Haha
Reactions: physguy88

physguy88

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
So looking at the chassis it looks like there's a plastic liner piece around the barrel channel to create a tight spacing with the thinner profile barrels:

If you take that away you should be able to fit all sorts of thicker profile barrels no?

viking78

Private
Belligerents
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
In Finland you can choose additional trigger.
2-stage trigger only add 50€ (55$)for the price, that´s cheap.
I believe that option should be in US too.
Ask your Sako dealer about that, if you are about to buy one S20.

physguy88

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Yep we do - also a few other new Tikkas of interest just announced as well:

SAKO S20 - LINK

(info from my rep)

-barrels are same contour
-butt and forends are interchangable and will be affordably priced as will the mags.
-triggers to be 2-stage
-5/8x24 muzzle
-full chassis underneath
-7-8lbs
-april/may availability
-1MOA 5-shot guarentee
When do you guys expect to get in the semi-heavy barrel version?

CerebralDistortion

Private
Belligerents
Oct 8, 2017
It's now possible to "Build your own" on Beretta Australia:

• Love
Reactions: clcustom1911