Ruger Precision Rimfire

Feb 7, 2013
The West
Here’s a video I made yesterday at 100yards shooting an 11” gong. He group averaged 2” with a couple fliers due to an 11Mph wind. Apologies for the video being upside down at the end.
Nice ... but 11mph??? Maybe on a hill under a venturi effect, or a singular gust, not shown in camera .. but not at all across the board

kgc54

New Hide Member
Jun 5, 2018
Troy, MI
Well just got off the phone with RUGER C.S .
Told them i have a RPR With mag problems and extraction .
They said NO PROBLEM .
We will send you a new CHASSIS .
How about them APPLES .

Took the gun apart for a good cleaning .
When i looked at the mag area things were real sloppy .
My 77/22 ,10/22 and charger are aluminum .
RPR is same as the chassis with no support .
Couple of questions:
Is this a one for one chassis swap or are they just giving you a new one?
Shooting wise how dose your rifle perform otherwise?

mrt949

New Hide Member
Apr 25, 2018
Told them the problems i was having .
Remember the chassis has the block that beds the action and the mag position.
As preform it is a great gun .
They sent me a new chassis you must use all your parts to complete assembly .

kgc54

New Hide Member
Jun 5, 2018
Troy, MI
Told them the problems i was having .
Remember the chassis has the block that beds the action and the mag position.
As preform it is a great gun .
They sent me a new chassis you must use all your parts to complete assembly .
Did they want the old chassis back; or do you get to keep it?

Feb 14, 2017
Indiana
Just took the plunge and picked up one of these rifles. Tore it apart and cleaned everything up. Cleaned up all the rough machining. Cleaned up the crown. About to start breaking the rifle in. Plan to get about 500 rounds through it before I start shooting for groups.

MrO17

New Hide Member
Jul 6, 2018
Has anyone found a 0 moa mount ?
The 30 moa is great but i have rings that are 20 moa from other scopes

Talked to Ruger in Nc yesterday, long story short , they have one coming my way. Ruger customer service ROCKS! Extremely pleasant and very professional, customer and brand appear to be their focus. This was my first Ruger but now looking to grow the family.

mrt949

New Hide Member
Apr 25, 2018
Talked to Ruger in Nc yesterday, long story short , they have one coming my way. Ruger customer service ROCKS! Extremely pleasant and very professional, customer and brand appear to be their focus. This was my first Ruger but now looking to grow the family.

I guess i will give them a call

Strykervet

Resident Phoenix Eye and Dim Mak Instructor
Jun 5, 2011
Pierce County, WA
Ruger sucks. Not the10/22, no, that design is about as good as semi .22 can be, but go for Kidd parts. Or better yet, that custom thread on barrel and receiver (wish I had that!. My rifle has no Ruger parts and it's stellar, like a different rifle, a better one.. Spot on. Titan stock, Kidd action and parts. Just a dream and completely quiet. So the barrel may only be four or four and a half inches, but the 11.5 to 12 inch suppressor makes it almost totally silent. By far my most favorite rifle and it gets used more.

It's 1MOA or less; I get one ragged hole at 25M.

IMG_0837.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2017
Indiana
Got a rprimfire a few days ago. Been breaking it in and shot a few quick groups at 40 yards. Could cover them with a dime. Ammo was cci standard velocity. After all the bad comments about accuracy I was skeptical but I think this rifle has real potential.

kgc54

New Hide Member
Jun 5, 2018
Troy, MI
Got a rprimfire a few days ago. Been breaking it in and shot a few quick groups at 40 yards. Could cover them with a dime. Ammo was cci standard velocity. After all the bad comments about accuracy I was skeptical but I think this rifle has real potential.
I'm wondering how many of those complaining about the rifle's issues (including myself) have the earlier chassis revision. I contacted Ruger asking why there was an addendum to the rifle assembly instructions that warned not to torque the receiver screws beyond 30 inch pounds where the instructions say 35 inch pounds are needed. That is when I received an email response telling me that I had an older revision of the chassis. Long story short got an RMA and just shipped my rifle back to Ruger for inspection and rework.

Feb 14, 2017
Indiana
Just shot a few different match type ammo selections and got great results from SK RIFLE MATCH. Several 5 shot groups under a half inch at 50 yards. Probably in the .3 to .4 region but all could be covered with a dime. I've got about 400 total rounds through the gun. Continuing to clean pretty often until I break that 1k mark. I know there are differing opinions on this but that's just what I like to do. Continues to look promising. Also called green mountain and ordered a barrel on Friday. They said 2 weeks.

kgc54

New Hide Member
Jun 5, 2018
Troy, MI
Just shot a few different match type ammo selections and got great results from SK RIFLE MATCH. Several 5 shot groups under a half inch at 50 yards. Probably in the .3 to .4 region but all could be covered with a dime. I've got about 400 total rounds through the gun. Continuing to clean pretty often until I break that 1k mark. I know there are differing opinions on this but that's just what I like to do. Continues to look promising. Also called green mountain and ordered a barrel on Friday. They said 2 weeks.
Which barrel length did you order I have their 20 inch fluted bull barrel on a custom Nordic Components 10/22 chassis that I just love.

Oleshep

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
Nov 17, 2009
Northern Illinois
I think; 0n the positive side, Ruger magazines, good concept, aftermarket upgrades are sure to follow soon for barrels, stocks, triggers. On the down side, cheap flimsy stock, butt ugly and underimpressive accuracy. As for price, ehh... I just picked up a very clean used Rem. 513T that shoots one ragged hole at 50 yds w/ “peep” sights in the same price range. Just sayin.

Feb 14, 2017
Indiana
UPDATE: testing has showed my rifle gets the best accuracy with the action screws torqued to 25in/lb. I currently have about 550 total rounds on the rifle. I just shot a box of federal ultramatch. Had 8 out of 10 5 shot groups under .5 inch. 4 of those were under .4 inch and 2 were under .350. This ammo has been the most consistent for me so far. So far the modifications done have been polishing up the bolt and trigger surfaces, cleaning up the crown, and doing the trigger spring mod. I have 100 rounds on the trigger spring mod and so far it's been excellent. I'm using an old 10 round magazine to feed from. Haven't had any function issues. At this point. I feel I've probably just about reached the accuracy limit of the current setup. For the money, I'm impressed. Happy with the purchase. Will update again after 1k rounds or if I get a change in accuracy. I do have a green mountain barrel preordered as well.

Dec 14, 2003
Central Arkansas
Got my RPR back with the THIRD barrel. I mentioned the problem of bullet strikes to my silencer as we as an odd "twang" sound with each shot fired. The documentation accompanying the rifle reflected a new barrel, rebluing????, but nothing at all about the odd sound upon firing. Took the rifle to the range yesterday and found the accuracy to be about the same as before (unexplained occassional flyers) with the thread protector on or off, but better with the silencer on. Still the odd sound upon firing. (A friend was at the range with his RPR and we traded bolts to see if we could isolate the odd sound to the bolt, but no luck as the sound went away in both rifles upon switching. Frustrated I took the bolt apart when I got home and cleaned it then relubed it and now the odd sound has gone.)

Sure glad I have my name on a replacement barrel from Green Mountain whenever they release their barrels!

MrO17

New Hide Member
Jul 6, 2018
First outing with my Ruger. Knock on wood no feed problems, no mag prob, no ejection issues. And it likes inexpensive ammo! Just put a mueller 8x25 on it can't wait till thurs. IMG_0496.JPG IMG_0496.JPG

MrO17

New Hide Member
Jul 6, 2018
About 40yd. Trying to beat some rain just wanted to put some rounds through. I was very happy considering all everyone else has dealt with. Trigger is nice right around 2 1/4#. Impressed with how nice it rides the front rest and rear bag. Thought the plastic piece bottom of stock would be a prob, just fits perfect. Got a real scope on now. Shot that target with vintage Lyman permacenter 6X no AO,

Mar 1, 2013
CA
UPDATE: testing has showed my rifle gets the best accuracy with the action screws torqued to 25in/lb. I currently have about 550 total rounds on the rifle. I just shot a box of federal ultramatch. Had 8 out of 10 5 shot groups under .5 inch. 4 of those were under .4 inch and 2 were under .350. This ammo has been the most consistent for me so far. So far the modifications done have been polishing up the bolt and trigger surfaces, cleaning up the crown, and doing the trigger spring mod. I have 100 rounds on the trigger spring mod and so far it's been excellent. I'm using an old 10 round magazine to feed from. Haven't had any function issues. At this point. I feel I've probably just about reached the accuracy limit of the current setup. For the money, I'm impressed. Happy with the purchase. Will update again after 1k rounds or if I get a change in accuracy. I do have a green mountain barrel preordered as well.
Going Sunday to try different torque settings myself. Found ammo it likes that chrono’d well so I’m going to try and it I can get the groups to tighten up a little bit more

MrO17

New Hide Member
Jul 6, 2018
Nice! What’s the distance? Number or rounds? Looking at getting one, but people’s accuracy reports have made me wary.
We were about 30yd didn't want to be in the sun. Hot here in SC. Feel pretty confident to expect the same groups at 50. My cz loves the wolf match target from the U.K. Better than the German loads. This Ruger appears to like it also. Think I will load up on it this weekend from grafs

ROLEXrifleman

Snipers Hide Original
Dec 23, 2004
INDIANA
FYI, called Ruger the other day to get my hands on the 0 moa base and the rep on the line stated that they only had a few left. Not sure if after that they will continue to support the 0 moa at no cost or not.... so if your looking to get in on this don't waste time.

here's my setup as of now. it has the 30moa base with a backwards AI 45moa mount! lol
Also did a trigger job, I'm at 13oz
I'll post pics of groups in a few

Last edited:

ROLEXrifleman

Snipers Hide Original
Dec 23, 2004
INDIANA
CCI standard has proven to be an excellent value between accuracy and price lately. @ $25 a brick it cant be beat.The target is comprised a of four 1" squares making a box 2" x 2" shot at 30 yards

Last edited:

Roguebama

New Hide Member
Jul 30, 2018
At what distance did you get the groups under .500?

Roguebama

New Hide Member
Jul 30, 2018
There is at least 6 guys I shoot with that have RPR's and we've all tested at least 6-8 different types of match ammo. Every rifle is in the 1.25 to 1.5moa area for accuracy at best. On average I'd say 1.5moa is about it. If any shot sub-moa then there would not be an interest in after market barrels. Accuracy and especially consistency is what makes the precision rifle world go round.
What Ammo are they getting their “tightest” grouping with?

Top Bottom