Ruger Precision Rimfire

Oct 10, 2012
I waited to reply to these post. I spent the last year testing these at my range and helping out with some design ideas. Goal was to mirror the center fire versions of the RPR lineup and keep the cost down for the entry level shooter. $400 for what most are retailing them for. With the 3D printed mock up last year, we were hitting a 6" plate at 300yds easily with it. Ran all kind of rounds through it. Stuff that cost $4.99 a box up to $18.00 a box. It shot very well. At 50yds I have a KYL rack and the smallest plate is 1/4" wide. We go 10 for 10 on it all the time. Are there more accurate rigs out there? Of course. More durable chassis etc? Of course. Not for this price though. After market stuff is already fine tuning things for those who want it. For entry level though, it's a great deal.

Oleshep

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
Went and tried some more ammo , Gemtech Suppressor and some different Aguilla.
All .50 and up groups, the best in my gun is still Federal Gold Medal MATCH.
At one point the wind went absolutely dead and produced this 5 shot group at 50
very nice. I need to pickup some FGGM and some Midas to test. With groups like this I wonder why anyone would want a Lija barrel for more than the rifle costs?

Jan 15, 2010
Las Vegas
There is at least 6 guys I shoot with that have RPR's and we've all tested at least 6-8 different types of match ammo. Every rifle is in the 1.25 to 1.5moa area for accuracy at best. On average I'd say 1.5moa is about it. If any shot sub-moa then there would not be an interest in after market barrels. Accuracy and especially consistency is what makes the precision rifle world go round.

Dthomas3523

Blind Squirrel
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Does an RPR 0 moa base fit on an RPRR? Can’t call Ruger to ask until Monday.

Until I get a dedicated optic, my amg is in a 6mil Spuhr. With the 30 moa RPRR rail, I’m probably going to have issues.

I’ll drop it in some seekins rings for now.

Dthomas3523

Blind Squirrel
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Does an RPR 0 moa base fit on an RPRR? Can’t call Ruger to ask until Monday.

Until I get a dedicated optic, my amg is in a 6mil Spuhr. With the 30 moa RPRR rail, I’m probably going to have issues.

I’ll drop it in some seekins rings for now.
Never mind. Because of the AR style chassis, I needed a riser rail anyway. So I took a 20moa rail and installed it backwards. 😎

Nov 10, 2013
I bought two of these for my kids for Christmas last year. For perspective I also have a Vudoo and have owned a Stiller 2500XR. I feel like for the money they are solid little rifles. It was a huge bonus that they came threaded and ready for a suppressor. I have found accuracy to be just a little less than MOA at 50 yards. I don't have either one as the RPR version, but they share the same actions and barrels. I will admit that the actions and bolt fit were a little on the rough side when I first got them, but I took them out to the Baldor and buffed the important parts before even mounting the scope and it made a world of difference. If you find them on sale I don't think most people will regret their purchase.

Dthomas3523

Blind Squirrel
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I bought two of these for my kids for Christmas last year. For perspective I also have a Vudoo and have owned a Stiller 2500XR. I feel like for the money they are solid little rifles. It was a huge bonus that they came threaded and ready for a suppressor. I have found accuracy to be just a little less than MOA at 50 yards. I don't have either one as the RPR version, but they share the same actions and barrels. I will admit that the actions and bolt fit were a little on the rough side when I first got them, but I took them out to the Baldor and buffed the important parts before even mounting the scope and it made a world of difference. If you find them on sale I don't think most people will regret their purchase.
Which Ruger model is the same action and barrel? Curious so I can possibly look into aftermarket stocks. Do yours have the barrel nut setup like the RPR?

Nov 10, 2013
I have the model 8351 and the 8348. I don't think either of them have barrel nuts. I didn't think the RPR rimfire did either. I just took a cursory look at it and saw that the action appeared the same and assumed they put it in a tactical stock. The bolt and trigger look the same to me as well.

Dthomas3523

Blind Squirrel
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I have the model 8351 and the 8348. I don't think either of them have barrel nuts. I didn't think the RPR rimfire did either. I just took a cursory look at it and saw that the action appeared the same and assumed they put it in a tactical stock. The bolt and trigger look the same to me as well.
Nice. RPR has barrel nut. So it may offer up easy change barrel options in the future.

mrt949

New Hide Member
Apr 25, 2018
Well took my RPRR out today after 100 cci sv down range .Settled down and was shooting at 200 meters no problem hitting 3" size targets .
I have a leupold 6x18 with target turrets .Sighted in at 50 meters at 200 it was 30 moa to connect on the targets .
We normally shoot 1/5 nra scale at 50,100,150 and 200 meters off the bench .

HAPPY SHOOTER MRT949

Jan 15, 2010
Las Vegas
I haven't had an extraction problem with mine yet with match ammo or CCI SV. Smooth as ever.

Lilja has posted a barrel coming soon. I sure would like to see Federson do one. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. Great barrel maker.

Dthomas3523

Blind Squirrel
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I haven't had an extraction problem with mine yet with match ammo or CCI SV. Smooth as ever.

Lilja has posted a barrel coming soon. I sure would like to see Federson do one. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. Great barrel maker.
My issues could just be me not cycling the bolt properly. Though it’s happening a fair amount and I never have any issue with centerfire.

Jan 15, 2010
Las Vegas
My issues could just be me not cycling the bolt properly. Though it’s happening a fair amount and I never have any issue with centerfire.
I took out the 1st clip so it cycles like a centerfire rifle. Slow you roll a bit on cycling the bolt and see what happens. You don't need to go snails pace, just be smooth. You'll have plenty of things to keep your mind occupied on follow up shots anyway so no real reason hurry too much.

MRiles

General Nuisance
Feb 14, 2017
Pre-ordered 1 from Brownells a while ago.....No ETA given...
Anyone got the top secret knowledge of possible ship dates?

mrt949

New Hide Member
Apr 25, 2018
Well called ruger .Told them about my issues .
They said send it back . I said NO NO NO .
Send me new parts . So they will send me a spring and extractor .
I have dealt with this problem before Rim thickness .
I worked for kel tec for 20 years in different areas over the years .
Had related problems with extraction .

YES I AM RETIRED WOOHOO.
ENJOY SHOOTING ALL THE TIME ALL 22LR

Dec 5, 2017
AZ
Well called ruger .Told them about my issues .
They said send it back . I said NO NO NO .
Send me new parts . So they will send me a spring and extractor .
I have dealt with this problem before Rim thickness .
I worked for kel tec for 20 years in different areas over the years .
Had related problems with extraction .
I've been having the same issues since I got my RPRF back in Jan. I've tried modifying the spring (which helped, just a little) and even exchanging the spring and extractor from my Ruger American rimfire (which improved it quite a lot, but still not very consistent extraction). So, I've been thinking about giving Ruger a call and wasn't sure what they might do to fix it. So, I'm go to call them and have them do the same in sending me a new spring an extractor and hopefully Ruger as made adjustments in these parts to solve this problem . . . for all of us.

Thanks for your report. Please let us know how the new part work for you and I'll do the same.

ALSO a retired and shooting 22LR a lot.

Mar 1, 2013
CA
Just wanted to post this pic. Federal auto match bulk ammo. Paid $15 for 325 rounds. This was 10 rounds at 50 yards. Tried 100 yards a couple days ago but the tailwinds were blowing from 3.6-8.9 mph and was totally throwing the bullets around. I would much rather shoot in crosswinds but it was still a great learning experience. Love the rifle. It makes a great trainer.

Attachments

mrt949

New Hide Member
Apr 25, 2018
Was out this morning . Windy after a 50 meter zero went to 200 meters 30 moa elevation then 12 1/4 clicks to hit a 4" gong .
Had a good time fighting the WIND .
Using cci sv .

Oh i figured out the feeding problems .
IT"S THE MAGS .
I have 10 mags that are 10 rounders some work some don't .
But if you put upward pressure when you cycle the bolt it works all the time

Aug 15, 2012
WEST
Found one in stock locally and put it on layaway for my boy till his birthday. Now to get another scope :)
I am still hoping someone comes out with a lightweight barrel . With one it would be the perfect set up for teaching kids how to shoot.

QuarterHorse

New Hide Member
Apr 3, 2018
Waukee, Iowa
Looking pretty heavy into this. Was thinking of upgrading an old varmint 17 Savage into a trainer but thinking this may be the way to go. Dig all of the info in this thread. Thanks to all that post

mrt949

New Hide Member
Apr 25, 2018
Cases sticking in chamber with cci sv .
I guess you must clean the chamber after 150 rounds.
Had the same problem with my charger and exemplar .
Bolt gyns no biggie .
But my charger is a takedown so so bad either .

Jan 15, 2010
Las Vegas
The 10/22 and it's beginning to seem like the RPR rimfire are magazine sensitive. The way the bullet feeds out of the mag and into the chamber may be changing the round. Whether that is bending the way the bullet seats into the case and therefore chamber or if it is deforming the nose of the bullet it is making a change and maybe round to round. One of the big claims to fame of a very accurate rifle, the Vudoo, is the way the mag and action handle the bullet when chambering.

Keep your mags clean, try different spring tension settings when you reassymble them. Try different mags. Number your mags and keep a record until you figure out what is working best. Above all try to keep it simple and once you find out what works stay with it.

Oleshep

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
The 10/22 and it's beginning to seem like the RPR rimfire are magazine sensitive. The way the bullet feeds out of the mag and into the chamber may be changing the round. Whether that is bending the way the bullet seats into the case and therefore chamber or if it is deforming the nose of the bullet it is making a change and maybe round to round. One of the big claims to fame of a very accurate rifle, the Vudoo, is the way the mag and action handle the bullet when chambering.

Keep your mags clean, try different spring tension settings when you reassymble them. Try different mags. Number your mags and keep a record until you figure out what is working best. Above all try to keep it simple and once you find out what works stay with it.

I have three mags 2 15rd and 1 10rd. All are Ruger mags and so far I have not had any feeding or extraction issues. Knock on wood..

Jan 15, 2010
Las Vegas
I have three mags 2 15rd and 1 10rd. All are Ruger mags and so far I have not had any feeding or extraction issues. Knock on wood..
I'm not talking about feeding or extraction in general but the accuracy changes based on how the bullet is fed into the chamber. I can use 2 separate mags that both feed and extract the same and go from near 1moa to a definite 2 Moa or more with all other factors being the same.

Feb 7, 2013
The West
I'm not talking about feeding or extraction in general but the accuracy changes based on how the bullet is fed into the chamber. I can use 2 separate mags that both feed and extract the same and go from near 1moa to a definite 2 Moa or more with all other factors being the same.
PLEASE continue - not being a dick

Jan 15, 2010
Las Vegas
PLEASE continue - not being a dick
Many of us that shoot 10/22's in the NRL22 matches have found them to not only be ammo sensitive but also mag sensitive. Several of us have found the same thing with the RPR. The 15 round mag that came with my RPR was terrible for accuracy. I ran 6 or 7 10 round mags through my RPR and chose the best one. It now stays with that rifle. Same thing with 3 other 10/22's we have. 2 are full Kidd rifles and the other is an modified Ruger target rifle. You can read about the same thing on several rimfire forums.

Feb 7, 2013
The West
Many of us that shoot 10/22's in the NRL22 matches have found them to not only be ammo sensitive but also mag sensitive. Several of us have found the same thing with the RPR. The 15 round mag that came with my RPR was terrible for accuracy. I ran 6 or 7 10 round mags through my RPR and chose the best one. It now stays with that rifle. Same thing with 3 other 10/22's we have. 2 are full Kidd rifles and the other is an modified Ruger target rifle. You can read about the same thing on several rimfire forums.
Thank you.. I can't tell any difference on my Vudoo mags and only had 10 rounders on the RPR-rim I had for a short time.

But I have a buddy that is having issues with the 15 rounders.. I'll pass on the word that it might be worth trying the 10 rounders - Thanks

Oct 6, 2010
Southern Dakota
I was considering the 10 rounders vs the 15 for precision type matches, but had some concern the mag might not drop free or sit far enough below the Magwell to easily grasp for a mag change on the timer (since they are significantly shorter than the 15s)
Does anyone have a close up picture they can post with the 10rounder in the magwell?

Sep 14, 2003
East Tennessee
I don't think I've ever heard of this. It's great to know and something to watch out for. Thanks!

Jan 15, 2010
Las Vegas
Thank you.. I can't tell any difference on my Vudoo mags and only had 10 rounders on the RPR-rim I had for a short time.

But I have a buddy that is having issues with the 15 rounders.. I'll pass on the word that it might be worth trying the 10 rounders - Thanks
Vudoo made a major design improvement in how they pickup and feed rounds into the chamber. I believe that one of the reasons that contributes to the accuracy of the Vudoo is that the cartridges aren't damaged when being loaded and when the bullet meets the lands it is properly aligned with the bore consistently.

Last edited:

Sieg

New Hide Member
Jun 14, 2018
Picked up a new RPR yesterday, cleaned the barrel, inspected the trigger mechanism, mounted a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16 BDC, installed my Axion suppressor and hit the range today.

What the bore was like out of the box. It got the solvent, brush, patch solvent, brush, patch, Iosso brushed, and numerous patches to get it clean.

Also found an E-clip was missing from the sear pin, after reinstalling the trigger in the receiver I understand why. :rolleyes:
The rear action take down screw wouldn't accept a standard allen wrench, had to use a ball head wrench to get it loose, then swapped it out with a new screw.

Ready for duty.

Bore sighted it the old fashion way on a target at 25 yds, first 5 shots using SK Std+

Went to 50 yds and the next five rounds got me excited.

That was the best as the next 18 5-shot groups didn't hit that .255" center to center group, but it delivered numerous .5" cc groups. I started trying to make it shoot after that first group and was tensing up and influencing the rifle too much, the 9" bipod is too tall for bench shooting requiring too much finicking with the rear bag which didn't help either.

The trigger pull started increasing from my measured 2.5 lb. pull, it probably went up to 4.5 lbs. after group 12 so I ran the adjuster all the way in and backed it out. The first shot on after that I touched off prematurely, the trigger was very light. Checked it when I got home and I was surprised.

All and all I was very pleased with the rifles ergonomics and function other that the ejector would leave a round laying on top of the magazine if the bolt isn't pulled back with speed. My RAR Target in .17HMR will eject a case easily going slow, so I need to investigate. No extraction issues and solid consistent firing pin strikes.

As dirty as the bore was, I ran two dry patch after the first 30 rounds and the second one was surprisingly clean, after the next 70 (50 of CCI SV) I ran another dry patch which wasn't as dirty as the first and flipped it over and ran it through again and it only had a light trace of residue.

My goal for this gun is to convert it to .17 Mach 2 for digger squirrel eradication in an orchard, now I'm thinking buying another one might not be a bad idea. LOL!

All said, I'm very happy with the gun for the first range trip.

mrt949

New Hide Member
Apr 25, 2018
Well just got off the phone with RUGER C.S .
Told them i have a RPR With mag problems and extraction .
They said NO PROBLEM .
We will send you a new CHASSIS .
How about them APPLES .

Took the gun apart for a good cleaning .
When i looked at the mag area things were real sloppy .
My 77/22 ,10/22 and charger are aluminum .
RPR is same as the chassis with no support .

Last edited:
Top Bottom