Ruger Precision Rimfire

Subwrx300

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2014
Cedar Springs, MI
I would like to see the pics you have. Both of the foil on the mag and the bolt before and after sanding.
What is the thinking as to how the stock mag orients itself after 1-3 rounds?
Pictures of mods to bolt and magazine. Bolt nose is rounded and tapered back. It's hard to see, but I've put a slight taper in the bolt for the first 1.5" or so. Also sanded/polished all edges to smooth bolt stroke and feeding.

I could definitely go further with this and I think it would improve it further, but you need to be sure it catches the next round solidly. Remove too much (like an 1/8") and you will have a single shot 22lr. So go slow.

Magazine: I added strips of electrical tape as initial build up material and then several layers of foil tape over top to get to final thickness. It should go in snugly/firmly and stay that way regardless of pressure front/back on bottom of mag.

Goal is to keep the mag at the same height (all way to the top) and have nearly zero pivot for and aft. If you wiggle magle front to back, you will see the front edge near chamber move up/down which is what you are trying to prevent.

Tape wears in after a few removals so once you get close add a layer or two as it confirms to your rifle.

Reactions: Islander

Count3

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2018
If you're looking for and Extended Magazine Release for your Ruger Precision Rimfire, try one of these;

I've had one for a couple of months and it works great. Installation is a snap.

I got mine at my LGS. They're also available at Anarchy Outdoors

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: Islander and 1bdvet

Frankr

Private
Belligerents
Aug 15, 2012
WEST

Swaim13

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2018
Peoples Republic of Maryland
I am honestly starting to get a frustrated with my RPr. I have checked all of the screws, done the tape bedding job, cleaned up the trigger, shot with and without loading the bipod, and I consistently get weird random fliers. I can hold the rifle and drill the target right where I am aiming on one shot, the next shot will be a flyer but the scope doesn't move at all, next shot is back where I am aiming. I figured maybe it was me so I shot my 223 and get a sub half-moa group. Other than replacing the barrel or eventually the stock, can anyone think of what I should check next? I have tried Lapua, a couple of CCIs, and Eley for ammo. I am guessing that mine was part of the second batch and I have about 1-2k rounds down the barrel.

Its frustrating bc I can see the potential of the rifle but cant seem to find what the issue is that is causing the fliers.

TIMMYTOY

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2018
I was really hoping after buying a Rpr in 243 they would’ve came out with a 22lr in the same frame and bolt design.
Solid,heavy precision rifle

Frankr

Private
Belligerents
Aug 15, 2012
WEST
I was really hoping after buying a Rpr in 243 they would’ve came out with a 22lr in the same frame and bolt design.
Solid,heavy precision rifle

If they would have done that and had it feed from normal sized mags like the V22, they would have slayed the market even at 1,000.00 per rifle.

Charge the same amount as a RPR in 308 but have the action and barrel for .22lr. Like the old Remington 40x in 22lr

vaguru

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2019
I am honestly starting to get a frustrated with my RPr. I have checked all of the screws, done the tape bedding job, cleaned up the trigger, shot with and without loading the bipod, and I consistently get weird random fliers. I can hold the rifle and drill the target right where I am aiming on one shot, the next shot will be a flyer but the scope doesn't move at all, next shot is back where I am aiming. I figured maybe it was me so I shot my 223 and get a sub half-moa group. Other than replacing the barrel or eventually the stock, can anyone think of what I should check next? I have tried Lapua, a couple of CCIs, and Eley for ammo. I am guessing that mine was part of the second batch and I have about 1-2k rounds down the barrel.

Its frustrating bc I can see the potential of the rifle but cant seem to find what the issue is that is causing the fliers.
A couple of things I would check. Examine the bottom of the bolt, the part that rides over the top of the magazine for burrs/sharp edges that can scrape the bullet during feeding. A slight radius and polish will help.

I use 10 22 magazines, and reduce the spring pressure so as to not allow the shell to be forced up into the breech face, again to eliminate bullet deformation. An alternative is to use aluminum tape to snug up the 15 round magazine to get smooth feeding. Either way, I fully load the mags and operate the bolt with loaded ammo, chamber and extract loaded cartridges, and look for deformed/scraped bullets. Adjust/polish as necessary until the loaded cartridges come out undamaged.

Another thing that can be tried is varying the action screw torque. My rifle really shines at 40 in/lbs both front and rear screws.

Maybe I just got a "good" one, but mine has shot numerous 100 yd groups between 5/8" and 3/4" with CCI SV. I have shot 4 different lots of this ammo and it has all been good. Current lot ( I have a case of this lot ) shoots right around 5/8" at 100 yds, chronographs with ES of 17 fps, and 50 yd groups average right around .260".

I cleaned the barrel when new, before firing, with Remington 40X bore cleaner (the old Gold Medallion) as I have all my firearms since it came out in the mid/late 80's. I have shot over 1,500 rounds of varying manufacturers including RWS, PMC, Eley, Win, Rem, Wolf, Lapua, and CCi of bulk and match grade, SV and HV since new. I have not cleaned the barrel since, and won't until accuracy drops off, if it ever does.

I have personal knowledge of 2 other RPR RF rifles and they also shoot very well. One is current as is mine, the other is one from the first run and also likes CCI SV. I'm shooting a 6-24X scope, the others both have 4-16X scopes, and higher magnifications do help with group sizes and being able to read conditions.

Reading conditions with a 22LR is critical at distance, as well as shooting technique ( stock pressure, cheek pressure, etc ).

I actually get better groups shooting off the bench using the bipod up front and a rear bag rather than bags front and rear.

Hoping some of these tips will bring your RPR RF around.

Subwrx300

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2014
Cedar Springs, MI

@vaguru hit the nail on head:
  1. Add foil tape or even duct tape to mags to ensure they are firmly planted in receiver (no for/aft wobble or play). The first round or two will feed at different angle than the rest causing change in bullet shape/damage to driving band.
  2. Use 320 or 400grit sand paper to polish and smooth the bottom side of bolt (specifically, the ridge that picks up next round). This is typically very sharp edges and will damage the bullet that is on deck in the magazine as bolt closes, scoring the round. Easy to check: put in full mag, chamber round, eject round unfired and leave bolt open. Drop magazine and look at the bullet in magazine. If it looks like pic below, polish the bolt more.
  3. If all of that fails, either contact Ruger or buy an ER SHAW barrel ($250). The Shaw's run well (sample of one in my case but others have posted similar results).

Photos of Unmodified magazine/bolt:

New round (not chambered):

Damage on first round chambered.

Unmodified bolt bottom: Damage on round under the bolt.

After bolt smoothing (I still have a bit more to do but it was good enough at the time) and magazine tape modification:

Section of the bolt that needs smoothing front edge back to the hole behind the retaining clip (or further if you want. )

Attachments

Reactions: Islander

Subwrx300

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2014
Cedar Springs, MI
I would try a study load one shell at a time buy hand no mag and see if there's a difference in group/flyer
Definitely would help identify if mag/bolt are issue but also have to be very consistent in how they are placed into chamber. I.e. slide in by hand completely (best way) vs setting nose partially in chamber then finished by bolt close (not so good).

Swaim13

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2018
Peoples Republic of Maryland
I am going to try polishing the bolt and may also try modifying the magazines this weekend. I believe I have tried shooting while single feeding and it still gave the flyers but I ended up having the bolt finish pushing the round in as I have fat fingers :rolleyes: I have tried varying the bolt torque with a FAT wrench. I have been using both a 10 rd rotary and a 15 round magazine that lock in pretty tight. I am generally shooting at 50 yards as I am not getting consistent results. Flyers at 50 yards are around 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch from the rest of the group.

I was really excited by the RPr when it came out and want to really like it but if I am starting to look at buying a new barrel, I think I would rather put the money towards a T1X instead.

Reactions: silentheart

Frankr

Private
Belligerents
Aug 15, 2012
WEST
I am going to try polishing the bolt and may also try modifying the magazines this weekend. I believe I have tried shooting while single feeding and it still gave the flyers but I ended up having the bolt finish pushing the round in as I have fat fingers :rolleyes: I have tried varying the bolt torque with a FAT wrench. I have been using both a 10 rd rotary and a 15 round magazine that lock in pretty tight. I am generally shooting at 50 yards as I am not getting consistent results. Flyers at 50 yards are around 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch from the rest of the group.

I was really excited by the RPr when it came out and want to really like it but if I am starting to look at buying a new barrel, I think I would rather put the money towards a T1X instead.

I will second the looser the magazine spring the better they run. I have one 10/22 10round magazine with who knows how many rounds through it and the spring is a lot looser than new ones. Feeding is much better for the RPRr than with the new 10 round mags it came with.

Reactions: kgc54

vaguru

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2019
Looked at a new RPR RF in Gold today. Slick color.

Checked the bolt bottom to see if there were any burrs on it that rides over the round in the magazine. Interesting to note that this bolt was now chamfered about 1/16" at that point.

The one I bought in black last May was not, so it appears Ruger has made a mod to prevent scraping the bullets as the bolt rides over the magazine. Still needs to be polished and I also noted that the chamfer was not even side to side, but deeper on one side.

One other thing I noticed was that the bolt handle hit the top of the receiver when operated. This of course will wear in with some use or a little polishing.

Just an FYI.

Frankr

Private
Belligerents
Aug 15, 2012
WEST
Looked at a new RPR RF in Gold today. Slick color.

Checked the bolt bottom to see if there were any burrs on it that rides over the round in the magazine. Interesting to note that this bolt was now chamfered about 1/16" at that point.

The one I bought in black last May was not, so it appears Ruger has made a mod to prevent scraping the bullets as the bolt rides over the magazine. Still needs to be polished and I also noted that the chamfer was not even side to side, but deeper on one side.

One other thing I noticed was that the bolt handle hit the top of the receiver when operated. This of course will wear in with some use or a little polishing.

Just an FYI.
Very interesting.

Wonder if they read the forums and watch the mods being done.

I called Brimstone about a trigger job and they said not at this time. My boys gun needs a new trigger but I haven’t got the time to monkey with it (cars need to be fixed and yard work etc...). If no one does it by fall I will tear into it after hunting season.

mrt949

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
I have a 0 moa mount from ruger .
i use 25 moa hawk droop ring shim
they work for me .

straightshooter1

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
AZ

kgc54

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2018
Troy, MI
Reactions: Frankr and mrt949

GBMaryland

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 24, 2008
Maryland, US

ScottMn

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2019
Just joined and thought I would contribute a little. JB weld kwik works on the 15 and 25 round magazines. This has been on for a couple of years.....

I also just got a RPR in 22lr. Here are a few pics of 5 shot or better groups i got when testing ammo at 50 yds. I shot three, five shot groups and these are the best of the three for each type of ammo. I tested quite a few types and there were only a few that I would completely reject.

I did take a good look at my bolt after reading some of this thread and it seems to be very well machined. A few marks but on the whole nice and smooth. I did have a few problems with failure to eject and loading but they seemed to be with the unmodified 15 round mag. Even after mods, smoothing , and cleaning, the large capacity mags have never been as reliable for me as the 10 rounders whether it was in my American Rimfire, 10/22, or now the RPR.

Nice info here, glad 1bdvet suggested it.......20190702_055222.jpg20190630_143111.jpg

vaguru

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2019
Just joined and thought I would contribute a little. JB weld kwik works on the 15 and 25 round magazines. This has been on for a couple of years.....

I also just got a RPR in 22lr. Here are a few pics of 5 shot or better groups i got when testing ammo at 50 yds. I shot three, five shot groups and these are the best of the three for each type of ammo. I tested quite a few types and there were only a few that I would completely reject.

I did take a good look at my bolt after reading some of this thread and it seems to be very well machined. A few marks but on the whole nice and smooth. I did have a few problems with failure to eject and loading but they seemed to be with the unmodified 15 round mag. Even after mods, smoothing , and cleaning, the large capacity mags have never been as reliable for me as the 10 rounders whether it was in my American Rimfire, 10/22, or now the RPR.

Nice info here, glad 1bdvet suggested it.......View attachment 7105005View attachment 7105013
It appears that you got a real good one! Congrats!

I am using 10 round mags in mine with the spring tension relieved. I also had to do some bolt clean up on the bottom due to burrs that scraped the next round in the mag. Other than that it's a shooter as well.

silentheart

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 28, 2013
Any thoughts on using copper plated ammo to alleviate or reduce this effect?
From what I have seen, most of copper plated 22lr are high velocity-super sonic. Usually not as accurate as the standard velocity one after 50 yards.
If barrel fouling is a concern, try cci nylon jacketed one. But it is also high velocity.

Kisssofdeath

Hitman Assassin
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 9, 2018
South Carolina

Nice info here, glad 1bdvet suggested it.......View attachment 7105005View attachment 7105013

Those are fantastic groups. I wish mine would do that.

Shooter_X

Pardon me. Would you care for some Grey Poupon?
Banned !
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
Those are fantastic groups. I wish mine would do that.
Ruger Factory hammer forged barrel.
Those groups are unbelievable.
To think I spent all that money on a Vudoo when I could have gotten a ruger.
T.S.

Booner1334

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
I'd suggest to everyone who's having feeding problems to try Butler Creek's "hot lips" 10 or 25 round magazines. I've used one of their 25 round mags for more than a year and 6,000 rounds and don't think I've ever had a feeding or ejection issue. Last week I tried 10 and 15 round 10/22 mags and now understand why some of you are complaining about them. Damaged rounds, rough feeding, and poor ejection. I've never had those issues with Butler Creek mags, plus, they lock up tight in the magwell.

Last edited:

Booner1334

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018

Those are some remarkable groups!
My RPR was made in their first month of production and now has better than 7,000 rounds through it. I've done all of the mods that have been listed here and other websites to improve it's accuracy and with the right ammo, -which seems to be SK rifle match-i can get groups that are similar to yours with the factory barrel. I think it took me that many round to smooth out the lead in the barrel to where I no longer get lead shavings when I patch it, as I do clean it after every shooting session.
It would be interesting to compare my early made rifle to your -I assume- recently built one to see if Ruger has improved their build quality. I hope so, as even though I have spent a lot of time to improve my rifle, I've enjoyed doing so.
Again, congratulations on your group's.

vaskeet

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2019
Mine should be here next week I ordered the model wit 2 10 round mags instead of 1 15 round mag

mtnbikerid3r

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2019
I got one last week and cleaned it this afternoon. Do they make those things in dirt pile? That thing was nasty inside and out.
I was thinking the same thing when I cleaned the new one I bought on Saturday. Couldn't believe how nasty it was and how many patches I had to run to get the barrel clean. :oops:

Islander

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2018
I would try a study load one shell at a time buy hand no mag and see if there's a difference in group/flyer
I did this before doing any mods and saw a minor improvement. It was with the Wolf ammo and I have since changed to Eley Edge.